Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #56: Reader Reaction & Impressions

Kuzu

16 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Burying their pasts (both the one they're aware of and the one they aren't) is fittingly tragic. Not knowing who they were before all this really does wonders for the imagination and makes it feel that much worse.

I remember seeing fanart of Surge originally being a Sonic fan who had met him at some point, got his autograph, and took a selfie with him

Could you imagine?

• My Emmerdoods 1

I'm growing real tired of Sonic giving villains a chance to reform, not talking about issue 56 in particular, yeah Surge has a traumatic history so maybe I get it, but he's literally doing it in every issue now, Metal last time again, because he cares for Belle doesn't mean he'll be reformed.

Although 2 things are true: Sonic is not out of character, there is no 1:1 version of his personality because of different staff, writers, etc. as you guys said, it's impossible to expect that, he's still Sonic but some things change, Movie Sonic is an inexperienced kid, Prime is confident and impulsive, and kind of annoying, in Frontiers he's the big mature and comprehensive friend, it also depends on the situation, but while I agree he is getting real tiring in IDW it's because of this reused "reform the villain now!" trope they keep repeting, just... stop, it's not going anywhere. Also, Sonic himself is getting scrutinized too much by fans to the point of obsession, I feel, to be honest. Not here, in general.

As for the issue, great art, great arc for Surge and Kit, great interaction between Sonic and Eggman, as everybody agreed, but it's more of the same stuff, I don't really have much to add to the discussion to be honest, I agree with most of your general points, there is nothing new for the cast.

I would have liked a different resolution for Surge and Kit as their big arc is over, sure, let them stay as villains, we do need more of those, but... there really is no resolution to this character arc for now, it feels sort of suspended until we see them again.

I don't know what I expected, it seems like everyone was just getting ready to say goodbye to Surge and Kit, but IMO they haven't outstayed their welcome, it's barely a 10 issue story arc if we consider the miniseries, I wanted more of them.

I didn't get tired of Surge and Kit's arc, I'm only tired of them focusing on the same cast all the time, the exception was Whisper for 1 issue, that's it though, same cast throughout the arc, wish it had more variety. This was still one of the best arcs in the whole comic.

Noting is wrong with sonic trying to reform someone. He does not want to give up. And why would he. He hopes they turn over a new leaf even if it does seem tiring at times. It beats him waking up everyday with 10 people that want to kill him. If he can bring that number down to 8 then gosh dang it go for it. There are some out there that probably would never turn like say Mephiles. But for others like Eggman he knows what could be in his case with Mr Tinker. He was actually a good guy but Starline F-d that up. Metal also messed it up by going right back to him and jogging his memories back rather than being his own bot. Sure maybe one day he will just stop trying on surge and kit and others but till then as he has stated he will gladly beat them again and again long as he has to.

I enjoyed reading this epic showdown with Sonic & Surge the artwork In this comic Issue was fantastic the panel's as well. The only thing that I was disappointed was how It ended I was hoping a lot more from the final part. But overall I did enjoy the final Arc of Surge & Kit. Looking forward to the next Issue coming up.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2023 at 11:29 PM, Darkvizardberrytan said:

But for others like Eggman he knows what could be in his case with Mr Tinker. He was actually a good guy but Starline F-d that up. Metal also messed it up by going right back to him and jogging his memories back rather than being his own bot.

He can like the idea of Eggman reforming, but expecting it will happen is silly.

8 hours ago, Slashy said:

He can like the idea of Eggman reforming, but expecting it will happen is silly.

I don't think he really expects anything. He likes the idea, and likes to taunt Eggman a lot, it's mostly that.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I've been struggling to really say anything or rather do my reviews for a while now and while there are a number of factors behind that, one of them is that I couldn't really present a whole lot due to how the story itself was shaping out. The plot and by extension the characterization did have issues that cropped up throughout and that led to certain point being messier than they needed to be or not adding a whole lot.

On 1/8/2023 at 7:03 PM, Slashy said:

Hello, Slashy. If you’re reading this, I like to apologize for my behavior from before. I understand why my comments are deleted, but I’m not happy when you said that the plot of the comic is poor when you’re talking about Surge and Kit. As much I don’t like hearing your opinions, I want to least respect them.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Michael Takagawa said:

Hello, Slashy. If you’re reading this, I like to apologize for my behavior from before. I understand why my comments are deleted, but I’m not happy when you said that the plot of the comic is poor when you’re talking about Surge and Kit. As much I don’t like hearing your opinions, I want to least respect them.

I was confused not upset. I have dealt with way way way worse than what you posted.

The Impostors have a great introduction, past that point what they are lead to do is pretty silly and repetitive.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Slashy said:

I was confused not upset. I have dealt with way way way worse than what you posted.

The Impostors have a great introduction, past that point what they are lead to do is pretty silly and repetitive.

What are the things that you dislike about IDW Sonic's plots and arcs?

Edited by Michael Takagawa
Elaboration

I think the arc, in terms of story and depth peaked with issues 50, then the one where Kit found about Surge being dead, Surge coming back and reuniting with him, her taking the wisps from Whisper, Sonic and Eggman teaming up and that's it. The action was good, the plot was good, the drawings, art and colors were fire. I just wish there was a more unique resolution.

There isn't a problem with Slashy's opinions, but maybe the "shonen anime/manga saga" formula which is how the comic is structured, might not their cup of tea, but this is its formula in the end...

On 1/12/2023 at 4:02 PM, Michael Takagawa said:

What are the things that you dislike about IDW Sonic's plots and arcs?

This arc is shallow relying on repetition even though it is only six issues long.

9 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

I think the arc, in terms of story and depth peaked with issues 50, then the one where Kit found about Surge being dead, Surge coming back and reuniting with him, her taking the wisps from Whisper, Sonic and Eggman teaming up and that's it. The action was good, the plot was good, the drawings, art and colors were fire. I just wish there was a more unique resolution.

There isn't a problem with Slashy's opinions, but maybe the "shonen anime/manga saga" formula which is how the comic is structured, might not their cup of tea, but this is its formula in the end...

That's the entire arc then. I would agree it peaked with issue 50 and then went downhill. It has been repetitive and relies on random contrivances to work.

I do have a problem with how it is structured because the comic does not have the freedom a Shonen series has, and the comic was not even a Shonen series for like the last 16 issues before this

Sure it can be a Shonen series, if we call it a bad one. I do not know of a shonen series with as poorly handled of a character arc as Surge's here.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Slashy said:

This arc is shallow relying on repetition even though it is only six issues long.

I've been thinking on why I've been blase regarding Surge and Kit. I think I found the answer, and that answer is Cassia and Clove, the Deer Sisters from the Archie Reboot. 

The thing about the Deer Sisters is that they had a 'hook'....Cassia is ill with some disease, and Clove is working with Eggman to find a cure. Eggman has no cure, but his tech is the only thing keeping Cassia alive, so they have to keep working for the Doctor whether they like it or not. So, we, as readers are left to wonder how their story will play out. Will Cassia find a cure? How long will Clove be forced to work for Eggman to keep her sister alive, and so on. That's the 'hook', and I think it's something Surge and Kit lack.

Surge and Kit's thing is pretty straight forward. They are angry about their lives being stolen from them, so the want the world to burn. Fair enough. But that describes plenty of generic villains.  I think Dr. Starline's death really didn't benefit Surge and Kit...without him, the pair have no major overarching goal, really. If Surge and Kit's bodies were breaking down due to Starline's mistakes in constructing them and they needed to find a constant cure-all to keep themselves alive, or if -as someone else on this forum suggested- Surge had Sonic at her mercy but had to choose between saving Kit or getting her revenge, and chose Kit...my perceptions on the pair might shift a bit. As it is, I did feel like this arc was spinning it's wheels a bit.

Right now, I pit Surge and Kit just above Rough and Tumble...a pair of characters that were actually designed to be nothing more than beaten-up Team Rocket-ish fodder. It's not fair to call Surge and Kit awful, but I must admit I'm not invested in any of their future appearances like I was for the Deer Sisters.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Slashy said:

That's the entire arc then. I would agree it peaked with issue 50 and then went downhill. It has been repetitive and relies on random contrivances to work.

I do have a problem with how it is structured because the comic does not have the freedom a Shonen series has, and the comic was not even a Shonen series for like the last 16 issues before this

Sure it can be a Shonen series, if we call it a bad one. I do not know of a shonen series with as poorly handled of a character arc as Surge's here.

You don't like it and it's okay. Might as well call it a bad shonen because you don't like it.

7 hours ago, AmbroseSimpson said:

The thing about the Deer Sisters is that they had a 'hook'.

Finally someone gets how important it is for a character in a franchise like this to be easily sold to the viewer.

I do believe the Impostors have hooks though, the hooks are similar to what makes Shadow and Metal Sonic.

A character who lacks a hook is Belle.

8 hours ago, AmbroseSimpson said:

I think Dr. Starline's death really didn't benefit Surge and Kit...without him, the pair have no major overarching goal, really. If Surge and Kit's bodies were breaking down due to Starline's mistakes in constructing them and they needed to find a constant cure-all to keep themselves alive, or if -as someone else on this forum suggested- Surge had Sonic at her mercy but had to choose between saving Kit or getting her revenge, and chose Kit...my perceptions on the pair might shift a bit. As it is, I did feel like this arc was spinning it's wheels a bit.

Not to mention their motivation to kill their counterparts is still a result of their directives placed there by Starline. It is hard to root for the villain when their motivations are not even real, also when they want to commit genocide.

Finally, someone gets how important it is for a character in a franchise like this to be easily sold to the viewer.

I do believe the Impostors have hooks though, the hooks are similar to what makes Shadow and Metal Sonic.

Can you elaborate?

Also, do Tangle and Whisper have a "hook"?

42 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Can you elaborate?

Whisper's would be her hesitance to trust others and tension towards Eggman & maybe Shadow.

Finally someone gets how important it is for a character in a franchise like this to be easily sold to the viewer.

I don't think it's that she lacked a hook so much as the bait was easy to get off of it

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Tangle is a genki girl, she is goofy, the least judgy and sees the best in people.

See Luz Noceda and Pinkie Pie

Whisper is the mysterious brooding loner with a dark past, but is also tragic and ultimately does not want to be this way.

Shadow is basically this and I see Whisper having a similar hook to him only not being a rival to Sonic.