Awoo.

I yearn for exciting racing games...

SolidSurgeTT

Speed Racer for the Nintendo Wii is amazing. Simply the idea of Car-Fu (Basically cars wrecking each other in style) was an awesome concept. The fast tracks that progressively got harder and more insane as you went on was thrilling. That combined with the motion controls made it one of the best racing games in my opinion. However, if were talking about the best Sonic racing game. Sonic R is my guilty pleasure 😏. Come on Richard Jacques made a soundtrack full of awesome music! (Super Sonic Racing is stuck in my head currently). The game itself is just a cool concept with potential. I quite enjoyed Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled (but I feel biased cause I'm a huge Crash fan as it is). It's the same with Sega All Stars Racing which I loved for Sonic and Shadow being able to turn super and literally "Overdrive all the competition, carrying out the damage when it's done!". The last one I'll note here. (It isn't Team Sonic Racing sorry that disappointed me) Crazy Taxi! Another Sega title that just has nostalgia written all over it for me! It's just something about ferrying costumers around at breakneck pace that makes me hit the roof in excitement! 

I like several different types of racing games, from mascot kart racers to hyperrealistic simulators.

I Occasionally play Assetto Corsa using an old wheel that luckily still works with the game, and I like to do hot laps on the Montecarlo track with f1 cars because it's challenging... I like that type of stuff too. EDIT: I forgot to mention Richard Burns Rally too.

The "mode 7" gba games F-Zero GP Legend and Mario Kart Super Circuits are my favorite chapters in their respective series. F-Zero is great and I'm a big fan of it, I've played X and GX too, but the 3D games have those very linear tracks with insane speeds... I prefer the old school F-Zero style, with more compact tracks and focus on level design (mines, lava, ice, shortcuts, etc.). GP Legend mixes the innovations of X with the classic gameplay of the SNES title, with many QoL fixes which make it way more enjoyable than the original title. I like Mario kart Super Circuits for a similar reason, with the addition of it being the Mario Kart game with the most balanced item set and with the least impact of the random/rubberbanding/balancing (it values the player skills more than luck, you can even outrun a blue shell!).

Used to like Gran Turismo as well, though it became less interesting after GT3 IMO.

My all time favorite racing game is this little masterpiece: Re-Volt

Re-Volt+usar.png

I spent my entire life playing it and I even made a couple of custom tracks and cars through modding, which is very easy in this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man, I remember Re-Volt! Played that a huge amount on my Dreamcast back in the day.

That reminds me of another racer I used to play a lot on Dreamcast; San Francisco Rush 2049. I only ever had a demo disc of that game but I played it for ages. You could kit out a futuristic car, do aerial stunts during races for points and hidden routes and there was a special stunt mode where you could just play around in an arena and basically ‘Tony Hawk’ in a car. Great fun!

• Fist Bump 1

The Sonic Stadium discord has a few fans of the KartRider series. New one, KartRider: Drift just launched as a free-to-play on most major platforms. Haven't tried it yet, but I spent a lot of time with the previous game on mobile.

KartRider: Drift on Steam

Wreckfest is my all time favourite racing game. It's a spiritual successor to games like Destruction Derby and FlatOut, with cars having soft-body damage models where the cars get increasingly damaged depending on which parts sustain the most damage.

Oh, and you can race bumper cars, harvesters, Statium Super Trucks, busses and lawnmowers just to name a few of the weird and wacky vehicles you can smash!

Wreckfest | Nintendo Switch games | Games | Nintendo

It's a bit of an older game and not available on modern consoles, but Burnout 3 is probably the best arcade racing game I've ever played. The chaos, the 2000s rock soundtrack, the style of it all has remained unmatched.

If you want a more easily accessible Burnout, Revenge is available on the Xbox store through backwards compatibility and is also pretty good. Paradise is on all modern consoles thanks to getting a recent remaster, and is also good (but imo, probably the weakest of the 3).

Other than Burnout, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (og or remastered, doesn't matter which) can also be pretty fun.

capa.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast

it's just an unapologetic arcade racer that goes all-out with the fun factor 

• Fist Bump 1