Awoo.

When you read the Sonic comics, which voices do you hear for each of the characters?

I know that when a lot of people read comics, they often hear the voices of the characters in their heads as they read them. With Batman, for example, a lot of people hear Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamil as the Joker.

I'm curious, whose voices do you hear for the Sonic characters when you read the comics? This includes both Archie and IDW by the way.

Just now, GX -The Spindash- said:

For modern Sonic, the current Sonic cast.

For classic Sonic, the OVA cast. I feel like time has only solidified Burke as the essence of classic Sonic for me.

I personally hear Jaleel White myself.

Once he changes into modern Sonic right before the Adventure arc, I hear Ryan Drummond.

White fits better with, like, early Archie, when they were still trying to write with a degree of 90's attitude (plus SATAM probably helps), but on stuff like IDW's classic Sonic projects, the weird cartoonishly stilted voices from the OVA match their take on the more reserved "new" old Sonic & Eggman. Just still really has the vibe of something you dug up in the late 90s from a Suncoast by ADV or Media Blasters.

I tend to hear the modern cast when I read the comics, both for the Modern and Classic versions of the characters.

...or in the case of Witchcart, Rita Repulsa (Barbara Goodson)!

Edited by MGA_Gamer
Added sentence

For me it's mostly the SA2 cast, however for a few it's the current-generation VAs. Like Tails' for example flipflops between Colleen O'shaugnessey and Connor Bringas (or even my own... pretentious that I am, but the moment that happens all the characters get voiced by me... I got issues.). Amy is Cindy Robinson.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest I really have to focus to get this effect in my head as I read, but usually it's the modern cast since IDW is so rooted in the modern continuity.

The more interesting one I have is re-reading STC recently.  Sonic's voice I can never quite place - Jaleel is too nasally for how serious STC Sonic often looks, so I'm not really sure what I'm imagining.  And STC Robotnik might look like AoStH Robotnik but he's so utterly evil like SatAM Robotnik, so I end up imagining some weird middle ground between Baldry and Cummings there (with the rrrrrolled R's of course).

I hear both the Studiopolis and Japanese voices for all of the characters that appear in Sonic Games 2010-Present. Here a list of voice actors for the characters that are comic-exclusive or have yet to appear in the games:

• Rough the Skunk - Todd Haberkorn (ENG)/Nobuhiko Okamoto (JAP)
  • Tumble the Skunk - Chris Hackney (ENG)/Subaru Kimura (JAP)
  • Mimic - Neil Kaplan (ENG)/Shō Hayami (JAP)
  • Dr. Starline - Ben Diskin (ENG)/Takehito Koyasu (JAP)
  • Surge the Tenrec - Erica Mendez (ENG)/Fairouz Ai (JAP)
  • Kitsunami the Fennec - Casey Mongillo (ENG)/Atsumi Tanezaki (JAP)
  • Clutch the Opossum - Doug Stone (ENG)/Hideyuki Tanaka (JAP)
  • Neo Metal Sonic - Roger Craig Smith (ENG)
  • Zomom - Jamieson Price (ENG)
  • Storm the Albatross - Dave B. Mitchell (ENG)
  • Gemerl - Aleks Le (ENG)/Kōki Miyata (JAP)
  • Vanilla the Rabbit - Michelle Ruff (ENG)
  • Marine the Raccoon - Lizzie Freeman (ENG)/Ayane Sakura (JAP)
  • Claire Voyance - Laura Post (ENG)/Yuka Iguchi (JAP)
  • Smithy the Lion - Ian Sinclair (ENG)/Kenichirō Matsuda (JAP)
  • Slinger the Ocelot - Max Mittelman (ENG)/Daiki Yamashita (JAP)
  • Tangle the Lemur - Anairis Quiñones (ENG)/Tomoyo Kurosawa (JAP)
  • Whisper the Wolf - Arryn Zech (ENG)/Saori Hayami (JAP)
  • Whisper's Wisps - Colleen O'Shaughnessey (ENG)/Utako Yoshino (JAP)
  • Jewel the Beetle - Xanthe Huynh (ENG)/Aya Suzaki (JAP)
  • Belle the Tinkerer - Christine Marie Cabanos (ENG)/Akari Kitō (JAP)
  • Lanolin - Cassandra Lee Morris (ENG)/Reina Ueda (JAP)
  • Nite the Owl - Frank Todoro (ENG)/Tomokazu Sugita (JAP)
  • Don the Rooster - Tru Valentino (ENG)/Yūichi Nakamura (JAP)
  • Gala the Hound - Alex Cazares (ENG)/Kotono Mitsuishi (JAP)
  • E-117 Sigma - Paul St. Peter (ENG)/Mahito Ohba (JAP)
  • Mecha Sonic - Roger Craig Smith (ENG)/Jun'ichi Kanemaru (JAP)
  • Mighty the Armadillo - Grant George (ENG)/Makoto Furukawa (JAP)
  • Ray the Flying Squirrel - Steve Staley (ENG)/Yūki Kaji (JAP)
  • Fang the Sniper - David Vincent (ENG)/Showtaro Morikubo (JAP)
  • Bean the Dynamite - Eric Bauza (ENG)/Kōsuke Toriumi (JAP)
  • Bark the Polar Bear - Crispin Freeman (ENG)/Junichi Suwabe (JAP)
  • Witchcart - Barbara Goodson (ENG)/Reiko Suzuki (JAP)
  • Hocke-Wolf - Kellen Goff (ENG)/Mitsuaki Madono (JAP)
  • Bearanger - Richard Epcar (ENG)/Kōichi Yamadera (JAP)
  • Carrottia - Grey DeLisle (ENG)/Mika Kanai (JAP)
Edited by Michael Takagawa
  • Thumbs Up 1

I used to keep a list for this that I can trot out and update, but off the top of my head:

Game cast--Studiopolis/Viz for the most part

Vanilla--Rebecca Honig

Starline--[Similar to Flynn's voice for him, but deeper and less overtly British]

Whisper--[Hint of middle eastern accent]

Rough--Ian James Quartley

Tumble--[Palooka voice]

Surge--[Electricity girl from Mighty No 9]

Kit--William Corkery(?)

On 7/24/2020 at 2:13 PM, DabigRG said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I can't see much of anything aside from Mimic and a few Badniks.

So Clutch, huh? Wonder what animal he'll be?

It's been a while since the miniseries, so I definitely can't remember any particular actresses off the top of my head. I vaguely remember the tone, though.

EDIT: 

Thinking about it for a second, I guess I'll give a genuine idea of what they sound like to me before moving on:

• Tangle is basically your sorta young-ish tomboy, though an exact VA is eluding me. It's not particularly high-pitched like Omochao for example, but it certainly get's the scrappiness across while allowing her to occasionally give a quieter line.
  • Whisper, per her name, usually whispers on the occasions where she does speak. As such, it makes sense for her voice to be softer yet comparatively deeper than Tangle or [current]Rouge. There's also a hint of a middle-eastern accent in there as well, probably due to her being more elegant than most characters. 
  • While we're at it, Starline is cultured and a bit flamboyant without necessarily leaning on either as a contrast to Eggman being bombastic and abominable; his tone, like Whisper's, is also a vague low, though moreso than hers.
  • It's been a long while since we saw them, but Rough was definitely kind of a ratty mischief maker/thug like Darrell from OKKO. I honestly don't remember much to Tumble beyond maybe being sorta oafish.
  • Jewel is this weird dissonance of being more mature/natural representative despite her small body obviously drawing on Cream and Charmy.
  • Don't remember Mimic, Scruffy, or Lanolin much at all.

I also remember giving Clutch a very specific voice that I for the life of me can't recall an actor for. I do remember that it was deceptively deep while having a refined tone to it, at least.

3 hours ago, Michael Takagawa said:

• Marine the Raccoon - Lizzie Freeman (ENG)/Ayane Sakura (JAP)

As much as I like the idea of Ayane Sakura as Marine, am I the only one who kind of wants to see her voice Amy?

When Taeko Kawata retires from the role, I hope Ayane gets chosen as the next Japanese voice for Amy. 

• Promotion 1

5 hours ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

As much as I like the idea of Ayane Sakura as Marine, am I the only one who kind of wants to see her voice Amy?

When Taeko Kawata retires from the role, I hope Ayane gets chosen as the next Japanese voice for Amy. 

Maybe she might have a role in the future Sonic movies.

And to clarify, when I say Studiopolis, I meant the entire IDW series. For the early Archie comics, I think of the voice actors of both Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and SATAM. For 1998 to 2004, I think of the ones used for the games in that period. For 2004 to 2009, I think of the 4Kids cast. For 2010 to present, Genesis Wave included, I think of the Studiopolis cast and go for new voice actors for characters Post-Genesis Wave that haven’t originated in the games.

19 hours ago, GX -The Spindash- said:

For classic Sonic, the OVA cast. I feel like time has only solidified Burke as the essence of classic Sonic for me.

The OVA dub cast is terribly underrated/overlooked! I particularly loved Sonic, Knuckles and Eggman's voices. 👍