Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #57 - Minithread

Sonictrainer

"Battle for the Empire"? Wasn't that Dr. Starline vs Dr. Eggman last year? The name of the upcoming arc is "Urban Warfare" as far as I know.

I'm not sure which is funnier, Lambchop trying to be stealthy whilst wearing a cowbell, or how much back pain you must get from having a cowbell weighing down on those massive titties. This is even funnier if it really does turn out to be Mimic all along, I wonder why he chose that particular body.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 2

• 2 weeks later...

I will hold my thoughts on Lanolin until later on, but I am getting the uneasy feeling that she probably will not turn out well as she was added to be a fandom nod and not a genuine desire to add a new character. I am not sure why the Restoration crew needed another member.

This is like if Friendship is Magic actually made Muffins/Derpy was made a major character.

1 hour ago, Slashy said:

I will hold my thoughts on Lanolin until later on, but I am getting the uneasy feeling that she probably will not turn out well as she was added to be a fandom nod and not a genuine desire to add a new character. I am not sure why the Restoration crew needed another member.

This is like if Friendship is Magic actually made Muffins/Derpy was made a major character.

So this character didn't already exist?

Reading the preview this might be the worst setup for a Sonic story ever and is a poor use of his character. The comic is using the clichè "OH NO VILLAIN IS COMMITTING A HEINOUS ACT SUMMON THE HERO TO GO FIGHT HIM!" It is playing the clichè straight for a superhero that never conformed to that archetype.

The Restoration has been used as a storytelling crutch twice, but here it is unforgivable. It is showing Ian has no idea how to set this story believably up with Sonic present without literally having Sonic be called in to take care of the villain he fights on a regular basis. All because Ian has no idea how to make a reactionary superhero work.

• Thumbs Up 2

It’s probably executive meddling. There are stories where Ian had focused on the heroes and villains with Sonic getting little to no involvement. It can’t be Sonic the Hedgehog without Sonic the Hedgehog, yeah? Same goes for One Piece, every episode in the new 10's focuses on Luffy regardless of whether he has character focus or not.

52 minutes ago, Michael Takagawa said:

It’s probably executive meddling. There are stories where Ian had focused on the heroes and villains with Sonic getting little to no involvement. It can’t be Sonic the Hedgehog without Sonic the Hedgehog, yeah? Same goes for One Piece, every episode in the new 10's focuses on Luffy regardless of whether he has character focus or not.

I would prefer just having Sonic and Tails investigating the Eggperial City and running into the Restoration crew there.

• My Emmerdoods 1

For some reason, I immediately thought of FiM when Lanolin used her bell to do...whatever it did. Wasn't really helping the secret villain talk that much either.

But yeah, this setup does feel generally awkward--gives the impression they're contractually obligated to start the story out on an action set piece, which makes the flashback essentially grind the story to a halt.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

So this character didn't already exist?

She did, but only as a background character/ Citizen. She probably wasn't ever supposed to be more than that until....

2 hours ago, Slashy said:

I would prefer just having Sonic and Tails investigating the Eggperial City and running into the Restoration crew there.

They had to show that Lan was the one responsible for bringing it all together. 99.999% that this conversation is going to be important down the road. Trying to do that while meeting off the cuff would only result in an exposition dump in the middle of a warzone. It also would make it more awkward to flash back too.

Mimic can't have his "it wuz ME Barry" moment without proper setup.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

For some reason, I immediately thought of FiM when Lanolin used her bell to do...whatever it did. Wasn't really helping the secret villain talk that much either.

A CowBell is a musical instrument and she's rocking the Rhythm based Magenta Wisp. She probably used it like a Wispon to channel and unleash the Wisp's power (which if the game is any indication - comes out in bursts)

I thought it was kinda clever actually.

anyway - as I've said in other threads, My "Lanolin is Mimic" meter is moving up again. I'm up from 99% to 99.9999999%. Now Lan has rapidly evolved into a capable member of a frontline counter-terror squad whom also happens to be proficient with Wisps? She couldn't scream body double any louder if you gave her a mega-phone

The only thing holding me back from complete certainty is Jewel. Mimic escaped the Bad Guys arc with his fly tri-core intact, allowing him to easily imitate a flying character. It would be a reverse justification for giving him the Fly tri-core in the first place, the only reason he really had it  was because someone had to be a fly guy and the entire bad guys cast was ill suited for the role. 

7 hours ago, Slashy said:

It's fine, I love Sonic and Tails adventures, we've had one recently but as much as I do the comic has more variety when you have interesting new team ups, in this case with Lanolin mostly, we've seen Sonic team up with Tangle and Whisper or even Tails with them in Central City.

I would also rather have them do something interesting with the Restoration and Lanolin than have:

The restoration work on background stuff or invade Eggman

Lanolin being Mimic in disguise

In a cooler world we get: a new character like Lanolin, that as much as she can get annoying, she is not yet another nice character, assuming the writers do something interesting with this. In fact, the Eggperial city raid sounds boring, I'd rather have another type of adventure, if they bring in Mimic it's another Hero vs Villain situation, if Lanolin creates a problem it's more complicated. That said, I can see it happening that she is Mimic, it's predictable but also something Ian would do.

I'm interested in where Lanolin goes as a character, as well as what the other heroes offer in this arc.

About Tangle: she obviously remembers the Diamond Cutters, she likely wanted to do something nice for Whisper and ended up hurting her because it's a delicate matter for her.

Lanolin acts…a lot like Sally if you ask me.

I'm just personally kind of tired of all of the action. It starts blurring together after a while when every major issue opens with an action set piece of some kind. I love Action in my stories but when it starts feeling obligatory as opposed to having actual meaning, it just loses me. In other words, there needs to be an actual substantive story behind the action beyond "Sonic and Co. Find some Eggman robots and a fight scene happens"

Lanloin is...fine I guess? It's always nice to have a character that isn't an action adrenaline junkie, but I think I would have preferred if she were just a normal person who didn't want to get up in this nonsense but was pulled into it anyway. As it stands, she's just another field commander type with a stick up her ass. Really not helping the Not!Sally allegations there Flynn. Part of that though is that I'm just not into the whole Restoration angle I guess, at least as its currently presented. 

Tangle and Whisper having some personal drama is nice though, although I wish it was better built up, but fuck it that's much more interesting than another generic fight with Eggman. Give me more of these disaster lesbians.

On a personal note, I'm kind of disappointed there isn't some type of follow up from the last issue, especially after how it ended. Sonic just doesn't seem affected by what happened at all and we're just right back to the status quo. It kind of proves Surge's entire point hilariously.

While Scourge was more or less living in Sonic's head after some of their encounters. This might just be a symptom of the more marketable nature of the series however; gotta keep things moving to the next big story arc and set piece. Its not a deal breaker but its personally disappointing to me.

55 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

On a personal note, I'm kind of disappointed there isn't some type of follow up from the last issue, especially after how it ended. Sonic just doesn't seem affected by what happened at all and we're just right back to the status quo. It kind of proves Surge's entire point hilariously.

While Scourge was more or less living in Sonic's head after some of their encounters. This might just be a symptom of the more marketable nature of the series however; gotta keep things moving to the next big story arc and set piece. Its not a deal breaker but its personally disappointing to me.

That's almost exactly what it is. Going off of the general vibe of what Flynn's been saying on the Bumblekast and how "everything is canon" now, they're writing everything in a way that it's both non-contradictory to anything else that's coming out and meant to be something that a newcomer or casual reader/fan can jump into at almost any point without feeling like they're missing out. It's an unfortunate compromise that I'm not entirely crazy about, but it's probably the best case scenario if we don't want storylines jamming into one another. 

In layman's terms, they're probably setting each arc up so that a new game can reasonably take place between them. Not my favorite thing, but I get it and can live with it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Lanloin is cute and glad we got another lady to the cast now in a more direct role. Even lover her being able to use a musical based wisp to her bell.  As for wanting yet ANOTHER sonic and tails outing i prefer they do more stories with the larger cast. We just got off two arcs centered around the two basically .

And its actually a rather smart move that will go wrong of course to go after eggman first to see what he is planning in this new city that literally popped up out of nowhere. We have seen him experimenting different areas in the past and now its time to go in and see what he is cooking up and possibly stop it rather than sitting around twiddling thumbs waiting for him to attack. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

That's almost exactly what it is. Going off of the general vibe of what Flynn's been saying on the Bumblekast and how "everything is canon" now, they're writing everything in a way that it's both non-contradictory to anything else that's coming out and meant to be something that a newcomer or casual reader/fan can jump into at almost any point without feeling like they're missing out. It's an unfortunate compromise that I'm not entirely crazy about, but it's probably the best case scenario if we don't want storylines jamming into one another. 

In layman's terms, they're probably setting each arc up so that a new game can reasonably take place between them. Not my favorite thing, but I get it and can live with it.

Yea, I guess that makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Let's anyone jump in at any time, while also not contradicting any other material either. 

Its good since I can just drop off and probably not miss anything long term if I came back but it doesn't make me any more invested in this universe or lore if it's never going to commit to anything to satisfy everyone yet no one at the same time. 

I honestly preferred when every thing was distinct from each other, but Sonic fans get irrationally mad when everything isn't connected in some shape or form so I guess this is the best way to placate them.

I'm tired of Sonic fans ruining this series tbh.

15 hours ago, Slashy said:

Reading the preview this might be the worst setup for a Sonic story ever and is a poor use of his character. The comic is using the clichè "OH NO VILLAIN IS COMMITTING A HEINOUS ACT SUMMON THE HERO TO GO FIGHT HIM!" It is playing the clichè straight for a superhero that never conformed to that archetype.

The Restoration has been used as a storytelling crutch twice, but here it is unforgivable. It is showing Ian has no idea how to set this story believably up with Sonic present without literally having Sonic be called in to take care of the villain he fights on a regular basis. All because Ian has no idea how to make a reactionary superhero work.

As ironic as it is coming from me, I think you're exaggerating just a little bit? Yeah, it's nothing special, but "worst setup"? 

Nah, not even in a hypothetical top ten. It's a mediocre setup at best, but it's not bad.

2 hours ago, The Deleter said:

It keeps happening

image.png.0ff46f03a83ee39c4e6a9bc556a557da.png

I mean, at this point, they might as well just kept Sally and rebooted her…again.

Makes it look rather silly to just drop the character only to make three more that act almost the same way when you could’ve used the one already had.

Granted, there’s definitely more to be revealed that could subvert that, but just something that really stood out on my impression.

I'd rather have actual rebooted Sally than this, but yeah, I don't think it's the case? People keep comparing female command types to her as if she is the only one who can give orders.

Lanolin is what I expected, she is different than the simple action loving characters like Sonic and Tangle, she has different ideas, that's fine, nothing extraordinary, she's fine so far. And she's actually sweet too, the bell wisp thing is also cool.

Also, rather than having "fight fight fight" as action in the issue, they investigate here, the mystery of Eggperial city, which while simple

Spoiler

Brings back the Tower from Test Run thank God! That set up was not pointless of course, I just love when payoff happens. 

This is why I'm satisfied with the saga format comic, rather than just fun standalone stories, we can have both.

The part I found weaker was Tangle and Whisper, obviously it is just the beginning but I wish really, we had more fallout from Whisper losing her wisps in the last arc, and that she wasn't just a plot convenience for Surge to gain more power...

I also like how this arc doesn't feature the same cast from start to finish unlike last arc, the other teams will arrive later in the arc.