Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #57 - Minithread

Sonictrainer

Off Topic: Since no one made a Review Topic, I edited the topic accordingly.

Regarding the Sonic Comic Forums, would it better to just have

Option A

1. Cover & Reveal Topic
  2. Preview Topic (without Story Spoilers)
  3. Reader Reaction & Review Topic (discuss Story Spoilers)

Option B

1. Cover & Reveal Topic
  2. a Full Discussion Topic (where Previews & Spoilers are discussed)

Both Options are per issue

Ever since they started showing 1 Page Previews and then showing extra pages the day before the actual release, I've been wondering if I should change up how we do the topics.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think I’m in the minority, but I adore Lanolin, and I love her musical note wisp!  Looking forward to seeing her in action!

On 2/9/2023 at 9:24 PM, Michael Takagawa said:

Since when was the last time the “sentient city” trope has been used in other forms of media? It’s too early to say wasted potential or missed opportunities when we’re at the beginning of the arc.

In Sonic at least, I was done before the Archie Reboot with the Nanite City Mobotropolis by having NICOLE’s AI plugged in. They got quite a lot of mileage out of it when they could.

Outside of that, Halo ODST had an AI integrated into the city of its setting, and if you want to stretch, you could use the Matrix Trilogy machine city.

It’s not really that unheard of anymore than starships with AI.

@Sonictrainer While I prefer option A, it's clear that people just by accident start talking in the wrong topic, so B is more convenient and one I would go with.

Also, I'm pretty sure Mimic's suckers are invisible to everyone but the audience. Whisper is far too perceptive to never notice them otherwise. It's like someone gets hypnotized and has hypnotic spirals in their eyes. In most media, you're not meant to take this literally.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, MilesJFox said:

I was gonna mention that. They have been clever in the past by hiding his sucker fingers when it was him. Since they aren't doing that, Lanolin can't be Mimic. (Unless they forgot about the tells they established for Mimic, which would be very bad writing.)

OR... Mimic just learned how to hide his sucker fingers, it could really well be explained after the reveal...

11 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Option A

1. Cover & Reveal Topic

Option B

1. Cover & Reveal Topic

Ever since they started showing 1 Page Previews and then showing extra pages the day before the actual release, I've been wondering if I should change up how we do the topics.

Option B. People tend to talk about the comic's contents, even in the previews page.  So, might as well put spoilers and previews on the same discussion page.

@Michael TakagawaIs this ZealousFoX person still around?  Because if they aren't, it probably wouldn't matter how they feel about the IDW comics right now if they haven't been active for years.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Option A

1. Cover & Reveal Topic

Option B

1. Cover & Reveal Topic

I think Option B is better. It's more convenient. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@RabbitearsblogHe's still active on Twitter. His recent comments involving Sonic are complaining about the rapid-response team led by Lanolin being a rip-off of the Secret Freedom Fighters, and grousing about wasted potential involving Clutch. People besides his right-wing conservative friends still hate him. If he has a reason for hating Flynn, I doubt it’d be good anyway.

Edited by Michael Takagawa

Never heard about the dude, but sounds like someone I shouldn't waste time googling or give a single though more and my life quality will be better for it.

• Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Never heard about the dude, but sounds like someone I shouldn't waste time googling or give a single though more and my life quality will be better for it.

Same here.

BTW, about Mimic's suckers. I'm 95% sure they are invisible. Remember Bad Guys?

image.png.c5d5c5b635e68a5763b6e3379c86c57a.png

Mimic's waving his hand at CAMERA. For Eggman to see. That would make both of them complete idiots unless suckers aren't really visible.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

BTW, about Mimic's suckers. I'm 95% sure they are invisible. Remember Bad Guys?

image.png.c5d5c5b635e68a5763b6e3379c86c57a.png

Mimic's waving his hand at CAMERA. For Eggman to see. That would make both of them complete idiots unless suckers aren't really visible.

That's interesting, but don't forget, Eggman saw through the charade anyway. It seems more like a lack of communication between writer and artist than anything else. Not to sound like a downer, I just don't know the narrative reason why they'd give Mimic a tell that only the audience could see. It ruins the surprise. Though some stories do let the audience in on the mystery...

In his first appearance, he maintained the muted colours, brown eyes and suckers but his poses never allowed the reader to see the suckers on his hands and feet. I like the idea that a master of disguise trope character has some visible tells. We can rag on Whisper for not noticing him when he posed as Tangle, but you gotta consider how easy it is for us to overlook the obvious when we aren't looking for it. Especially in a stressful situation. It never even occurred to me that I could Google Lanolin. Though me being foolish is probably a poor example since I do that a lot...

But this is all just my opinion is all.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Option A

1. Cover & Reveal Topic

Option B

1. Cover & Reveal Topic

Option B, that will free up some unnecessary space.

• Thumbs Up 3

Counterpoint if this is Mimic it is a horrible setup that misleads the audience or relies on something that for this comic so far would be deemed too silly (Mimic figuring out Lanolin's identity via social media). There are too many questions raised if Lanolin is fake.

• The title was changed to Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #57 - Minithread