Awoo.

Sonic X vs Sonic Prime

Rabbitearsblog

So, which of these Sonic the Hedgehog shows do you guys like the best: Sonic X or Sonic Prime?  I pit these two shows against each other because they are often considered to be more faithful to the games than the other Sonic the Hedgehog TV shows released.

Now, I know that Sonic Prime had just come out and there's only 8 episodes so far, but I wanted to see which one of these shows is well-liked more so far.  For me so far, I still like Sonic X a bit more.  Sure, it has its issues, like the human characters taking up too much screen time from Sonic and his friends, but I do like how faithful it was to the Adventure Era games and the fight scenes were very well done.  With Sonic Prime, I do like the premise about Sonic shattering the dimensions and trying to fix everything.  However, I do want to see more from this show and see what happens with Sonic and his friends next.

It's not right to compare them yet as Sonic Prime has only just started, but I'm already going to say that I think Sonic Prime is the better Sonic cartoon by the sole virtue that one of them actually stars Sonic and the other stars a 10 year old rich kid. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 4
  • Unamused 1

Each has its strengths and weaknesses. 

X had amazing Knuckles and Rouge
Prime has very interesting takes on Tails or Amy

I dislike how Prime characterized Sonic
I dislike how X let Chris exist

Sonic Prime has better animation
X had better humor (and at least the backgrounds are more varied)

In Prime, I liked most things about Green Hill and New Yolk, but the Pirate and Jungle worlds were disappointing. So it really will depend on next episodes.

Sonic X has nicer worldbuilding and pretty gud episodes and moments (FYI  i don't hate Chris that much - sorry guys), Prime has a pretty gud execution of a old trope and great animation, also nicely animated action sequences

both of them are in the Champollion of actual good Sonic TV shows (OVA - X - Prime - NOTWH) as opposed to those other ones.......

Sonic Prime was actually about Sonic, so automatically it kind of has to take this one no matter how awful parts of Prime were.

If it weren't for Chris and the limited focus on Sonic, Sonic X would probably win in my book.

I don't know what it is about Prime, but it doesn't grab me as much as I wanted it to. It's a little better than Boom by virtue of having my attention more, but it didn't grab me as much as X did. But Chris, who I don't really hate than I do see him as being the one who the show was actually about through the first two seasons, does sell it short.

Can't really say either one do it for me.

Man, I remember how I hated Chris. I don't know what the producers and screenwriters were thinking, but he was just so annoying. I used to joked with my friends that he was the Sonic's version of Jar Jar Binks. 

So far none of the existing Sonic cartoons fully meet my tastes (the closest tbeing the Night of the Werehog short, but that was an one time thing and, indeed, a short, it could have very well been an in-game cutscene of Unleashed), so neither of them... but I slightly prefer X anyway.

So far, alternate media-wise, the first movie and some stories of IDW (not all of it) are the things I liked the most, and in the case of the movie, it's still not ideal for me because even if I liked it, it's something completely different than the videogames universe. Sonic X had potential but they had to focus it on the humans.

EDIT: If we count those web shorts as well, maybe the Frontiers prologue is the very closest thing to my favorite Sonic cartoon.

It's really curious huh, prime has far better overall production values, but didnt enthrall me at all unlike Sonic X did when I was a kiddo. Maybe because Im too old for this now, but Sonic X despite all its nonsense had greater appeal because of the shounen vibes and its share of melodrama.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:44 PM, Cooldude said:

Man, I remember how I hated Chris. I don't know what the producers and screenwriters were thinking, but he was just so annoying. I used to joked with my friends that he was the Sonic's version of Jar Jar Binks. 

They basically did think the same thing as Lucas did with Episode 1. Show about Sonic and friends wouldn't be enough to keep the interest up without a character for the (children) audience to have as a surrogate; to interact with the characters as a blank-ish slate that you could project yourself onto.

What I'm saying is, Sonic X is a dating sim.

The thing is, with this series' track record, we'd all play a dating sim if they put one out and it'd score way better than anything Sonic Team has made in decades.

If one day

On 2/10/2023 at 3:55 AM, Tornado said:

They basically did think the same thing as Lucas did with Episode 1. Show about Sonic and friends wouldn't be enough to keep the interest up without a character for the (children) audience to have as a surrogate; to interact with the characters as a blank-ish slate that you could project yourself onto.

What I'm saying is, Sonic X is a dating sim.

All I will say is that if one day, the powers-that-be make a "Chris-less" Sonic X, then I will be onboard 100%. 

I'll go with X for now but that could change, maybe.

Sonic X has the Metarex saga and Dark Sonic. Some funny episodes. I also liked the original episodes it had (before the adventure arcs)

I prefer the rings being power rings to give Sonic enhanced power, to cheap battles like the Shadow. The intro was great, all versions of it.

Might get murdered for this but sometimes I feel Sonic X should be canon haha... But then again idk cos the Shadow game didn't happen in the Sonic X Continuity.

15 hours ago, juiceDpunk983 said:

I'll go with X for now but that could change, maybe.

Sonic X has the Metarex saga and Dark Sonic. Some funny episodes. I also liked the original episodes it had (before the adventure arcs)

I prefer the rings being power rings to give Sonic enhanced power, to cheap battles like the Shadow. The intro was great, all versions of it.

Might get murdered for this but sometimes I feel Sonic X should be canon haha... But then again idk cos the Shadow game didn't happen in the Sonic X Continuity.

I think the Shadow game was made after Sonic X.

On 2/20/2023 at 6:13 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

I think the Shadow game was made after Sonic X.

Yeah I know. I was just thinking about which is the better Continuity and how I can't personally choose between X and the games.

I'd assume the event's of Shadow being half Alien isn't considered Shadow's backstory in X as it hasn't been brought up in that Continuity. Obviously because the game wasn't made yet but I do wonder if X Shadow was never created with Black Doom blood.

• 2 months later...

This Is a tough question after seeing both of Sonic X & Sonic Prime I like Sonic X more because It's following the Sonic Adventure games which I liked.

I'm still not sure about Sonic Prime just yet I like It In a way but still undecided. Maybe when the next season comes out I'll see what I think 🤔 then after watching the next season of Sonic Prime.

Idk if this is slightly off topic but it does involve both shows.

I've been watching the Japanese version of Sonic X on that recently released blu ray and at one point Cream says they live in Green hill on their own planet. On Prime we see that the characters live in Green hill.

I know X isn't canon, probably. However maybe some parts are like some of the lore.

On 4/28/2023 at 1:03 AM, juiceDpunk983 said:

Idk if this is slightly off topic but it does involve both shows.

I've been watching the Japanese version of Sonic X on that recently released blu ray and at one point Cream says they live in Green hill on their own planet. On Prime we see that the characters live in Green hill.

I know X isn't canon, probably. However maybe some parts are like some of the lore.

I was thinking of getting the normal Sonic X on Blu Ray. Is the Japanese version better than the normal Blu Ray version?

23 hours ago, sonicclaasic said:

I was thinking of getting the normal Sonic X on Blu Ray. Is the Japanese version better than the normal Blu Ray version?

On the picture quality? Not sure. I have the DVDs they made and the Japanese blu ray, oh and a few of my UK volumes.

Overall though it is better in Japanese subs, and this coming from someone who watched the dub first and has nostalgia from it. The music and the overall tone is miles better. Plus the Japanese voices are honestly perfect, the characters sound similar to the old English voice cast.

Plus in the episodes you get these statistics cards of each character, which is cool. Oh yeah and did I mention it's uncut. It's pretty good.

16 minutes ago, juiceDpunk983 said:

On the picture quality? Not sure. I have the DVDs they made and the Japanese blu ray, oh and a few of my UK volumes.

Overall though it is better in Japanese subs, and this coming from someone who watched the dub first and has nostalgia from it. The music and the overall tone is miles better. Plus the Japanese voices are honestly perfect, the characters sound similar to the old English voice cast.

Plus in the episodes you get these statistics cards of each character, which is cool. Oh yeah and did I mention it's uncut. It's pretty good.

Thanks I watched the dub myself I'm going to get the Japanese version on Blu ray like you mentioned here to experience how Sonic X ment to be watched. Thanks for sharing your experience's and opinion as well 😊👍

I haven't seen Sonic X in years, probably since it aired on 4Kids when I was a kid, so I'm not sure how it'd hold up if I watched it now, but just from what I remember, I think I do probably enjoy Sonic X a little more.

Sonic Prime started out strong and I was really interested in the first two or three episodes, but it felt repetitive fast, the pacing seemed to drag, and I got really tired of the New Yolk Eggman family. I'm also not sure how I felt about some of the characters' characterizations like Sonic and Rouge. It also struck me as strange that New Yolk reused soooo many background characters. Granted, this isn't a new thing in animation, it's often done to save time, but the fact that not only did they regularly reuse the exact same models in almost every shot featuring an extra, but they also drew attention to it by giving them speaking roles...? It took me out of the moment several times.

Not that Sonic X was perfect, it had a lot of problems, but I remember it being a lot more engaging even in its filler episodes. Sonic Prime just doesn't have that plot variety, and while eight episodes isn't a lot, I think they certainly could have done more with their time.

I will say, though, Nine's "I was taught by the misery of life" line made me cackle. I love him.