Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate Is Now Available on Steam

Ryannumber1gamer
GX -The Spindash-
Message added by GX -The Spindash-,

This topic was good and got turned into Sonic Colors: Ultimate Is Now Available on Steam at some point.

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

Ryannumber1gamer was awarded the badge 'Sonic News Tipster' and 10 points.

If you're a PC player that's been holding out for Sonic Colors: Ultimate to hit Steam, it's available now as both the base game or the Digital Deluxe version, each at a 30% discount until next week. The game launched nearly 17 months back to the day, hitting all major console platforms, but the PC version was initially released as an Epic Game Store exclusive.

The game's launch today includes "Steam Deck Verified" status, likely making it the preferred method of portable play over the Switch version's framerate struggles.

2021-08-coloursult-screen1.jpg

At initial launch, the game infamously suffered from a number of glitches and bugs; however some of the more egregious issues have been addressed in subsequent patches and updates. This release will also hopefully give a needed boost to the modding community, who have already worked to add skins, UI modifications, and deeper graphical adjustments to the game.

UPDATE: It appears that Hedge Mod Manager and Rainbow Mod Loader have pushed out updates to support the Steam version of the game.

2021-08-coloursult-screen4.jpg

However, players sensitive to the inclusion of Denuvo DRM will be disappointed that Colors: Ultimate too uses it, alongside nearly all other current SEGA releases, from Two Point Campus to Like a Dragon: Ishin! to Persona 3 Portable. Others have expressed since the game's launch dissatisfaction with the some of the remaster's creative and gameplay changes.

While we don't have dedicated analysis of the PC version, site writer Nuckles87 previously streamed the PS4 version of the game following the second major patch with mixed feelings on what issues were and were not addressed. You can check it, and more Sonic Colors Ultimate video coverage on Sonic Stadium's YouTube channel.

Sonic News Tips Credit:
Ryannumber1gamer
Original Post Content:

View full story

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shaddy Zaphod

• Shiny Gems

• Ryannumber1gamer

• DaBigJ

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, they just kinda threw it up there. I was hoping for something a little more "we fixed more bugs", but whatever. Least I don't have to install the Epic Launcher now, and it'll definitely get more traction here.

I was kinda expecting another patch for the PS4 & Switch versions with this, but eh. At least it's more accessible now! Kinda forgot that it was even on Epic until today.😅

If this happens to have any bug fixes (which is highly doubtful, but I can dream, right?), I am getting this version as soon as I can!

Hopefully this re-ignites some kind of modding scene, even if it'll never be as big as Generation's modding scene is/was.

How well does the game run with it having Denuvo? Is it like frontiers where it isn't really that affected by it?

Thanks to the sale I grabbed this (and Forces PC, since I wanna mess with mods and only had a shitty pirate copy before) so I will see if anything sticks out to me once I'm off work.

Well, a cursory check shows the game mostly running fine. I noticed some stutter at the start of the first stage, but not any of the others. I'm gonna see if any of these mods are borked on the steam version.

EDIT: nope, they all seem to work. Makes me wonder if this really was the earliest they could possibly release it from Epic's control, if they were committed to not changing anything anyway.

1 hour ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Well, a cursory check shows the game mostly running fine. I noticed some stutter at the start of the first stage, but not any of the others. I'm gonna see if any of these mods are borked on the steam version.

EDIT: nope, they all seem to work. Makes me wonder if this really was the earliest they could possibly release it from Epic's control, if they were committed to not changing anything anyway.

So, basically, you're saying the Steam version is the best version of Sonic Colors Ultimate?

For my personal experience, it's currently the best version of Colors, period (uh, provided you tone down that bloom, but those were the very first mods for the game). I would love for some fixes to the audio design, but it looks good, runs good and plays good on my end. I only wish that everyone else's experience were consistent with mine, since obviously there are problems that aren't showing up for me personally.