Awoo.

It's Official - 'Undefeatable' is Your Favourite Track From 'Sonic Frontiers'

Dreadknux
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into It's Official - 'Undefeatable' is Your Favourite Track From 'Sonic Frontiers' at some point.

It's only been three months since the release of Sonic Frontiers - and two months since the launch of the official soundtrack on Spotify, Apple Music and other audio platforms - but the fanbase has seemingly already decided on which song from the soundtrack is the most iconic. And strangely, it's not the game's main theme, "I'm Here".

While the title track, featuring Merry Kirk-Holmes, has racked up a respectable 1.2 million listens on Spotify, it is in fact the theme to the game's initial Super Sonic fight, "Undefeatable", which has grabbed everyone's attention, soaking up over 5.3 million plays in the last two months alone. That's a lot of headbanging.

It's easy to see why the track has struck such a chord with the Sonic fanbase. After spending hours in the mysterious, isolated Starfall Islands, with nary but Tomoya Ohtani's melancholic music to set the mood, your reward is a hyper-energetic, heavy-metal chorus as you take on a massive boss as Super Sonic. An alter-ego usually reserved for end-game battles. That first Titan encounter was a true atmospheric peak, and genuinely one of the greatest moments in the game.

Sonic Frontiers' music director Tomoya Ohtani also wondered on Twitter if the "impact of the first boss fight" had something to do with the 'super' popularity of the track on the music streaming service.

Because we were bored, we went through the Spotify listing for the 'Stillness & Motion' soundtrack and did a little chart. See if your favourite Sonic Frontiers song makes the cut.

1. Undefeatable - 5,381,010
  2. Find Your Flame - 3,148,124
  3. Break Through It All - 2,448,703
  4. I'm Here - 1,175,819
  5. Theme of Starfall Islands - 549,422
  6. Cyber Space 1-2: Flowing - 531,835
  7. One Way Dream - 518,393
  8. I'm With You - 232,241
  9. Fishing Vibes - 225,466
  10. Titan: Supreme - I'm Here [Re-Edit] - 220,031

[Honourable Mentions]
  11. Cyber Space 1-5: Dropaholic - 155,273
  12. Cyber Space 1-1: Database - 139,619

View full story

• Thumbs Up 4

And all was right with the world.

I think you'll hear a lot of pushback in support for Find Your Flame, but I think Undefeatable is the right call in terms of representing Frontiers as the headliner. 15 years from now, that's gonna be the song that the crowd sings in unison at some un-named Sonic event ala how we do Live&Learn or Escape from the City.

• Thumbs Up 1

Damn. Find Your Flame got robbed. Still, at least it was by a worthy contender.

9 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

And all was right with the world.

I think you'll hear a lot of pushback in support for Find Your Flame, but I think Undefeatable is the right call in terms of representing Frontiers as the headliner. 15 years from now, that's gonna be the song that the crowd sings in unison at some un-named Sonic event ala how we do Live&Learn or Escape from the City.

Honestly, I think all three of the first few titan themes, as well as one Way Dream are all gonna have that pleasure, given their immense popularity.

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Honestly, I think all three of the first few titan themes, as well as one Way Dream are all gonna have that pleasure, given their immense popularity.

I might even go a step further. Undefeatable and Find your Flame may go on to still have recognition from non-sonic audiences 10 years down the line.

I can only think of a small handful of vocal Sonic songs that have that distinction...

1. Live&Learn (but a lot of that is cause of Smash)

2. Can You Feel the Sunshine (its absurdity makes it stick)

3. City Escape (same as above to a lesser degree)

am I forgetting any?

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I might even go a step further. Undefeatable and Find your Flame may go on to still have recognition from non-sonic audiences 10 years down the line.

I can only think of a small handful of vocal Sonic songs that have that distinction...

1. Live&Learn (but a lot of that is cause of Smash)

2. Can You Feel the Sunshine (its absurdity makes it stick)

3. City Escape (same as above to a lesser degree)

am I forgetting any?

Possibly Endless Possibilties and Reach For the Stars. But otherwise, I don't think so.

But yeah, Sonic Frontiers' soundtrack charted in the Top 10 Globally on Spotify for a good reason.

I mean....it's undefeatable.

T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶a̶d̶ ̶j̶o̶k̶e̶

1 hour ago, Dreadknux said:

Because we were bored, we went through the Spotify listing for the 'Stillness & Motion' soundtrack and did a little chart. See if your favourite Sonic Frontiers song makes the cut.

1. Undefeatable - 5,381,010
  2. Find Your Flame - 3,148,124
  3. Break Through It All - 2,448,703
  4. I'm Here - 1,175,819
  5. Theme of Starfall Islands - 549,422
  6. Cyber Space 1-2: Flowing - 531,835
  7. One Way Dream - 518,393
  8. I'm With You - 232,241
  9. Fishing Vibes - 225,466
  10. Titan: Supreme - I'm Here [Re-Edit] - 220,031

Yeah - all of these easily would make my favourites, but I couldn't limit it to 10 (or even 20) as there are a lot of Cyberspace stages that are absolute bangers... and in complete contrast the Open-Zone melancholy of areas like Chaos and Ouranos islands.

Frontiers has a wonderfully varied soundtrack that hits this sweet spot for me where I can equally listen to something like "I'm here" when I'm travelling, or Chaos Island's 7th Movement on loop when I am chilling whilst working. 

29 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Possibly Endless Possibilties and Reach For the Stars. But otherwise, I don't think so.

But yeah, Sonic Frontiers' soundtrack charted in the Top 10 Globally on Spotify for a good reason.

Whilst not as remembered as Live 'n' learn, I think Open Your Heart has a decent flirtation outside the general fanbase.

Heck, if anything Undefeatable evokes the exact same feeling/shift in musical gears that SA1's headliner unlocked in my brainspace back in the day - and I love it for that.

But the Boss Music really helps elevate the titan fights and makes them memorable beyond their ambitious scope. I mean, I still can't believe we got 5 (mostly) epic Super Sonic fights in one game - its like Sonic Team were making up for the last 5 endgames. 

1 hour ago, Dreadknux said:

Cyber Space 1-2: Flowing - 531,835

Not too surprising, but still delightful to see the best cyberspace theme made it in the top 10 as well.

Honestly, Find Your Flame is more my taste, but it's a hard choice between either of the first three Titan fight songs.

You couldn't go wrong with any of them.

I like Find Your Flame more, but there's not really another song in Sonic's entire back catalogue that expresses the hype factor of Super Sonic as well as Undefeatable. Well deserved.

I shall stand firm in my feelings, best song in the game is the song where you fight Ghost.

Not the least bit surprised whatsoever. Undefeatable is iconic in its music, lyrics, and delivery. Everything about it (along with the kickass boss fight associated with it) screams "Frontiers."

I'm happy. I can't get into "Find Your Flame" that much, knowing how much it copies from Infinite's theme.

(I like Infinite's theme, but that makes "Find Your Flame" feel like copy cat).

Vandalize wasn't part of the soundtrack right?

Wonder where that would figure into the list.