Awoo.

Game Boy and Game Boy Advance Coming to Nintendo Switch Online

Dreadknux

It's finally happening! Original Game Boy games will be included in the base Nintendo Switch Online subscription, and Game Boy Advance games will be included on top for those with the NSO Expansion Pack subscription. Looks like you can play wirelessly with nearby friends or online for multiplayer games to better imitate the link cable experience.

Game Boy - Starting Lineup:

• Tetris
  • Super Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden Coins
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Game Boy Color)
  • Gargoyle's Quest
  • Game & Watch Gallery 3 (Game Boy Color)
  • Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (Game Boy Color)
  • Metroid II - Return of Samus
  • Wario Land 3 (Game Boy Color)
  • Kirby's Dream Land

Game Boy - Upcoming Titles:

• The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Game Boy Color)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Game Boy Color)
  • Pokemon Trading Card Game (Game Boy Color)
  • Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (Game Boy Color)

Game Boy Advance - Starting Lineup:

• Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 (+ eReader exclusive levels!!)
  • WarioWare Inc: Mega Microgame$
  • Kuru Kuru Kururin
  • Mario Kart: Super Circuit
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Game Boy Advance - Upcoming Titles:

• Metroid Fusion
  • Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
  • Fire Emblem
  • F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
  • Golden Sun

For anyone who wants to know

To swap between GB, GB Pocket, and GBC you have to go into the settings to do so, right under "play online". There you can select between the three

I totally did not realise that these shadow-dropped on the eShop today! Been having a great time playing Super Mario Land 2 and Mario Kart Super Circuit again. Mario Kart in particular feels great when using the analogue sticks! Like a whole new game.

• Thumbs Up 2

A conspicuous lack of Pokémon, beyond the trading card game. I have to wonder as we approach Pokémon Day and a presentation will air by then, if they'll reveal the 1st through 3rd gen games and when they'll drop. 

Would be nice to see them allow compatibility to Pokémon Home, like how the 3DS ports were with Bank, but the fact they specifically stated the two Stadium game won't have transferring brings that thought into question.

@Eggman Fan

Yes... The week before the new Nintendo console release and is not backwards compatible with Switch's retro libraries, that is

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey SEGA/Dimps! Now's the time to drop the Sonic Advance series on this baby!

And fix those fucking requirements for Advance 2's special stage access, that shit was terrible.

Maybe Advance 3 as well, but I had an easier time finding (and KEEPING) the Chao than I did the Special Rings.

GB/A games are exactly what Nintendo needed to do to finally push me into getting NSO, so well played to them.  Granted, so many games from that era I either have on 3DS or have replayed so many times that I can never touch them again, but even so, there are already games on the list I missed in the past and wish I hadn't - and there are bound to be others on the way.  Metroid Zero Mission I figure is inevitable - do we think there's any possibility of them actually localising Binding Blade, just for NSO?  They did just that for the very first Fire Emblem, but I assume that had far less text to translate...

I thought there was meant to be some sort of rights issue holding up western releases of the Advance games?  Or was that just SEGA being SEGA?

• 1 month later...

If they are able to include even one of the Sonic Advance titles then I might actually feel compelled to get the NSO Expansion Pack.