Awoo.

'Sonic Origins Plus' rated in Korea

ZinogreVolt
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into 'Sonic Origins Plus' Rated in Korea at some point.

So, first port of call (as many have said) would be patches or additional QOL improvements - just like when Mania Plus released this element should obviously be free. 

One bug in the missions withstanding (that has already been fixed), I actually didn’t have any problems during my play through personally, so I don’t really consider Origins to be a bottom of the Barrel release or broken/unplayable etc… the release is incredibly solid, the games still play excellently (in some cases better), the missions are a fun addition, the cutscenes/story mode was excellent, and it’s wonderful to be able to run through Sonic 3&K in an official capacity on my switch / TV. 

The only thing holding this back is some missing features from their iOS/android counterparts and some convoluted menu interfaces that should have been handled in the same manner as the mobile titles. If they could update things like this through a day one patch of the Plus release, then brilliant. 

In terms of additional content. I’m not so sure. I would love Sonic 3D: Flickies Island, Mean Bean Machine, Spinball, Chaotix, Master System Versions of Sonic 1, 2, Chaos etc… but, I have a feeling it will more likely be an encore mode kind of thing. 

Playable Amy or Metal would make sense considering the promotional material, and this would make a nice counter to Ray and Mighty in Mania… but it probably will just be Ray & Mighty from Mania. I dunno about Palette swaps though, this isn’t just one game we are talking about here, this is 4 titles each with their own unique visual styles. But hey, one could be surprised. 

Y'know, there were supposed remains of a sprite swap feature for Sonic 3 AFAIK...maybe that could be restored

• Thumbs Up 1

IIRC there was also "& knuckles" mode (like we got in Mania) which they wanted to add to 3K in Origins. Maybe they could also include this in the new release.

• 4 weeks later...

A thought just occurred to me. Let's assume Chaotix does get the retro engine treatment, and Sonic Team does actually spend time sprucing it up like the mobile remasters of 1/2/CD did.

What do you think the odds are that we see Sonic/Tails added back into Chaotix, like Tails/Knux were added into 1 (and possibly/hopefully CD)? Ray if he ends up being the new characters added to the collection of games? They wouldn't be available in the claw machine, but maybe if you had them as your primary character starting a new game?

• Thumbs Up 1

I absolutely love Knuckles Chaotix and I’ve wanted that game to get some kind of rerelease for nearly two decades, but I really don’t think we should be expecting that sort of thing from a collection like this. Origins itself was such a disappointment when it should’ve been such an easy hit.

The most I’d expect is some sort of new game mode, MAYBE Knuckles in CD (which should’ve been there from the start), and potentially a Mighty and Ray mode (this might even be the new game mode, locking them to a separate mode since it’d give them an easy out to make some simple alternate paths Mighty and Ray could take advantage of with their abilities).

I’d love it if we got some more games, specifically Chaotix and Fighters interest me most personally, having playable Chaotix in the other games, playable Amy and Metal, it’d be like a dream. But that’s wishful thinking. No way all (or even any of) that’d happen unfortunately. We’ve had so many of these old game collections in the past, they certainly should go that extra mile and put out a product that would be the definitive classic Sonic experience, but I just don’t see it happening. Not with this.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much on this. All I want to see is cleaned up music for Sonic 3, Knuckles in Sonic CD, and various bug fixes throughout the whole collection. Anything beyond that will be an unexpected surprise for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's not entirely correct. It was updated 2 weeks ago, but it was there since before March 23rd 2022

image.png.fe455498e5d44deeed511c2e6bb26656.png
Considering it was 3 months between that update and the release, wouldn't be surprising it's gonna take a similar amount of time between currently updated rating build and release of Origins Plus

Still, I gotta feeling that they might finally publicly talk about it soon, either this week or in April. If I'm wrong then I'll eat my hat.