Awoo.

Did Sonic meet Amy or Tails first?

Blazey Firekitty

Okay, so we know that in real life, Sonic 2 came out on the Mega Drive/Genesis/Whatever we're calling Sega's 16-bit powerhouse this week long before Sonic CD came out on the Sega CD.

My question is, which game comes, chronologically, after Sonic 1?

I ask this because Tails is conspicuously absent from CD. Meaning that

A) Sonic and Tails have not met yet.

Or

B ) Sonic and Tails have met, and Tails is just off doing his own thing, possibly pursuing science, while the Little Planet shenanigans are going on.

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

I tend to put Sonic CD before Sonic 2, but the idea that Sonic met Tails and Knuckles within about a week of each other during the Death Egg saga strikes me as a bit weird. I like to assume there was a gap of several years between Sonic CD and Sonic 2 that would allow Amy to grow up and Sonic to properly make friends with Tails.

I always thought this pic from SONIC CD was referencing to SONIC 2:

35mp5ia.jpg

...so I always assumed SONIC CD came first.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whereas I assumed that pic was referring to his absence from CD and that he'd be back for the next game. The language sounds to me too familiar for a character we'd supposedly not met yet.

That green race car looks pretty cool, it's too bad Tails never got a chance to drive it during some sort of gameplay.

It's certainly very vintage! And what's up with the sunglasses? Tails is trying too hard to be cool =P

It's certainly very vintage! And what's up with the sunglasses? Tails is trying too hard to be cool =P

Remember, this was during the time that he was trying harder to be like Sonic than he was now.^_~ I'm surprised he wasn't painting himself blue.XD

I might be completely wrong, but, am I the only one that thinks that that could be concept for Sonic R?

I've never played the classics and I can't be bothered to look up release dates right now. x.x

I might be completely wrong, but, am I the only one that thinks that that could be concept for Sonic R?

I've never played the classics and I can't be bothered to look up release dates right now. x.x

It's possible, but if so, the idea was scrapped somewhere along the way, since Tails runs on foot in Sonic R...The only character who has a car in that game is Amy...a big pink one.XD

Well, Sonic CD can't come between Sonics 2 and 3&K. The Japanese Sonic 3 manual says that only a few days pass between the Death Egg crashing and Sonic and Tails heading out to the (formerly) Floating Island. This would require Eggman to abandon the Death Egg on Angel Island, create Metal Sonic, take over the Little Planet, fight Sonic through whatever length of time Sonic CD takes, then go back to Angel Island, build Mecha Sonic, and build Launch Base, all within maybe a week's time. Eggman works fast, but not that fast.

So the question is, do we push CD further back beyond S3&K, or up before Sonic 2? Well, 2 and CD were being made at the same time; they're basically both sequels to Sonic 1. It makes more sense to put CD between 1 and 2, a sort of "Sonic 1.5", than to shift it further ahead and further away from Sonic 1. It also makes more sense that Sonic would avoid his stalker, explaining why Amy isn't in 2 and 3&K, than ditch his sidekick, to explain the lack of Tails in CD.

R didn't come out 'till '97. Drift would be more likely, but even that was a few years ahead.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think those are actually racing goggles.

Think Sonic met Amy first in Sonic CD.

And I think Sonic 2 was afterwards, but maybe Sonic met Tails inbetween Sonic CD and Sonic 2.

The Japanese Sonic 3 manual says that only a few days pass between the Death Egg crashing and Sonic and Tails heading out to the (formerly) Floating Island. This would require Eggman to abandon the Death Egg on Angel Island, create Metal Sonic, take over the Little Planet, fight Sonic through whatever length of time Sonic CD takes, then go back to Angel Island, build Mecha Sonic, and build Launch Base, all within maybe a week's time. Eggman works fast, but not that fast.

So the question is, do we push CD further back beyond S3&K, or up before Sonic 2? Well, 2 and CD were being made at the same time; they're basically both sequels to Sonic 1. It makes more sense to put CD between 1 and 2, a sort of "Sonic 1.5", than to shift it further ahead and further away from Sonic 1. It also makes more sense that Sonic would avoid his stalker, explaining why Amy isn't in 2 and 3&K, than ditch his sidekick, to explain the lack of Tails in CD.

I have to agree with this because of the corollary that the overarching plot of Sonic 2 to the end of Sonic and Knuckles seemingly only occurred over the course of a week or so (3 days or so for Sonic 2, a few days in between and 3 days or so for Sonic 3&K). With that in mind, there is little reason (or, indeed, actual ability) for Amy to become involved in the plot of Sonic 3&K when most of it took place on an uncharted island in the middle of the ocean, and the rest of it was set in space; so it stands to reason that she wouldn't be involved.

Edited by Tornado

I always thought Sonic CD came after Sonic 2 because of where it fell in order of release. Since when has SEGA released prequels?

I followed that logic too, although it's kinda hard to explain Tails' absence in Sonic CD if he was already following Sonic around by then. I figure that the two games were sorta created in parallel without much thought to continuity, and it just so happened that 2 came out before CD.

I always thought Sonic CD came after Sonic 2 because of where it fell in order of release. Since when has SEGA released prequels?

Phantasy Star IV was a prequel to all the other games in the series, the Sonic Advance games were prequels to Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio Future was a prequel to Jet Set Radio...

Yes, SEGA does do prequels. It shouldn't really come as a surprise...

Even without the Sonic 2 and S3&K timeline, we can assume the games are immediately connected because of the Death Egg. If not it would mean Robotnik abandons his Death Egg plans for Little Planet, and goes back to it when that plan fails. I mean that's possible, but less likely. The design of Sonic CD seems a lot closer to the first game, which makes me want to associate the two further. My personal timeline is CD with Amy and Metal, 8-bit Sonic 2 where Tails gets kidnapped, and then 16-bit Sonic 2 where Tails joins Sonic on an adventure for the first time.

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf

I find it more probable for CD to take place before Sonic 2 based on the sole reason that it'd be improbable for a major adventure to have occurred between S2 and S3, and S3 and SA1.

1) If CD came after S2, yet before S3, it'd make no sense how Sonic could/would not have the Chaos Emeralds with him during CD considering he had them when S2 ended, and it'd make even less sense for him to somehow have them yet again when CD ends and S3 starts.

2) If CD came after both S2 and S3, and assuming S3 was the latest adventure chronologically before Adventure 1, it'd seem a bit odd how Amy and Sonic are so familiar with each other during Adventure if they had only met not too long ago.

Those would be old timey racing goggles, used back in 1960's.

And that car appears to be a Lotus 7, Here's a picture of a later model:

lotus-seven01.jpg

I find myself wishing he was driving it in ASR.

Edited by Phos

My personal timeline is CD with Amy and Metal, 8-bit Sonic 2 where Tails gets kidnapped, and then 16-bit Sonic 2 where Tails joins Sonic on an adventure for the first time.

Sonic 2 8-bit is a bit of a mess anyways, but regardless Sonic 2 8-Bit can't take place before "real" Sonic 2 because Sonic met Tails for the first time immediately before the events of "real" Sonic 2.

I tend to think Sonic CD came after S3K because I see Metal Sonic as the apex of a series of Sonic robots. Whenever one was destroyed, Eggman just built a new and improved one.

Sonic2 Silver Sonic

Sonic3 Mecha Sonic

Sonic CD Metal Sonic

Tails did have two games of his own without Sonic present so I guess you could say one of them occurred while Sonic was on Little Planet to explain his absence.

I always thought Sonic knew Tails the whole time - so before Sonic 1, and that Tails just wasn't helping him at that time. I thought they were friends for years. :-/

Edited by MarcelloF

I consider this order: Sonic 1, Sonic CD, Sonic 2

From a development standpoint, Sonic CD has a lot more in common with Sonic 1. Both games share the same sprites and Sonic has yet to develop his Sonic 2 spindash. Yeah, it came out in 1993, but you'd have to understand that a CD based game probably took longer to develop.

From a storyline standpoint, Sonic 2 never implies that Sonic has just met Tails. Sonic CD shows Tails in the DA Garden, so we can assume that Sonic met Tails before Sonic CD. The whole Death Egg business makes a 2 to 3 sequence much smoother than 2, CD, 3.