Awoo.

Kishimoto: First Major Sonic Frontiers DLC is in Final Stages of Production

Dreadknux

It doesn't sound like we'll have to wait much longer for some fresh Sonic Frontiers content - the game's director, Morio Kishimoto, has revealed that development of the first wave of DLC is now in the final stages of production.

Kishimoto posted the update on Twitter, in response to fan feedback excited about the status of the incoming 'Update 1' pack - which is set to feature a photo mode, Juke Box and special challenges.

The message, via machine translation (so accuracy may vary):

We apologize for making you wait for the update. The production of the first series is in the climax. I am sure you will enjoy it. Please wait for a while.

Sonic Frontiers is set to receive three major content updates throughout 2023, as announced by SEGA back in December. This first update pack focuses mostly on small quality-of-life mode additions, with the second update planned to celebrate Sonic's birthday and featuring Open Zone challenges and new Koco to collect. Finally, the third DLC pack will introduce new playable characters and whole new Story to run through.

We'll keep you all posted when the DLC is ready to drop. But we have a feeling, according to Kishimoto-san, that it could be coming soon...

View full story

• Thumbs Up 6

Interesting. With this and Sonic Origins Plus rated in Korea; does anyone else think we will get a Sonic Central presentation soon?

3 hours ago, ShinyGems said:

Interesting. With this and Sonic Origins Plus rated in Korea; does anyone else think we will get a Sonic Central presentation soon?

Wouldn't doubt we get one either next week or early March. At the very least before SXSW so it doesn't get drowned by the Tetris movie (/j)

I hope we will get a Sonic Central soon, though I fear that they will do it only once a year in summer (weren't both past centrals in June?)

There seem to be alot of stuff waiting to be announced, this makes me hopeful for a new Central soon even if it's not June, but still, past centrals have been pretty consistent about their time frame.

At this point they might even do a separated central before each major update of Frontiers, and we know that one will be close to Sonic's anniversary anyway, so the summer Central would be there in any case.

Photo Mode and the Jukebox are mostly the standard fare I'd expected. I wouldn't be surprised if those were meant to be in the base game, but couldn't be added in time for one reason or another.

What I'm curious about is the Challenge Modes. I can only guess about what it pertains to, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one of them is an Egg Shuttle-like speedrun mode with all of the Cyberspace levels with the Titan boss battles peppered in there. 

Good to know but it's a light update, still it will be a fun time waster and will bring something to do after completing the game.

Kishimoto also said there is a 2D game to look forward to, and that they will continue adding 2D sections into next games, IMO they should just improve those rather than cut them entirely, I think he said he's looking into momentum physics but I don't care, just make them fun to play. Chaos Island has restrictive gameplay but at least it's different than other islands, 2D really does bring variety in this case, gonna get murdered for this but all the first 3 islands are my favorite in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

They should be more cautious in throwing the word "major" content update around because there really isn't anything earth shattering coming in this first wave.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

Good to know but it's a light update, still it will be a fun time waster and will bring something to do after completing the game.

Kishimoto also said there is a 2D game to look forward to, and that they will continue adding 2D sections into next games, IMO they should just improve those rather than cut them entirely, I think he said he's looking into momentum physics but I don't care, just make them fun to play. Chaos Island has restrictive gameplay but at least it's different than other islands, 2D really does bring variety in this case, gonna get murdered for this but all the first 3 islands are my favorite in the game.

I don't mind the 2D sections, but given the option to improve or remove them, I would say improve them, to be honest.

Also, I agree with what you said about making games fun to play, as well as 2D bringing variety and the first three islands of Frontiers. Still, if Kishimoto does bring back momentum physics, I wonder how he'll do it?

On 2/12/2023 at 1:34 PM, Red Hot Jack said:

More 2D?!?!?