Awoo.

Tails' next playable appearence

Blazey Firekitty

Okay, so since Sonic Heroes, Tails hasn't had too many playable appearances. They haven't been non-existent, but they've been quite a bit more limited.

What do you want to see the next time Tails shows up in a playable role? Should he be on foot, in a vehicle, or a combination of the two? Should the option to have him follow Sonic through the level be included?

I think he should be able to fly the Tornado at least once, and significantly (not just a two minute minigame kthx CERTAIN GAMES). But for the most part, I'd like him to be on-foot playable, with his natural ability to fly. No mechas.

While following Sonic is a cute nostalgia kick, it can actually get a little annoying, especially in 3D XD;; But! If it was a DS game, two players could hook up and play a stage together via wireless, so they'd each see their own character, but could interact with the other to get past obstacles and stuff.

While following Sonic is a cute nostalgia kick, it can actually get a little annoying, especially in 3D XD;; But! If it was a DS game, two players could hook up and play a stage together via wireless, so they'd each see their own character, but could interact with the other to get past obstacles and stuff.

That sounds like an interesting idea. I think "New Super Mario Bros." may have done something similar.

Tails is awesome when he plays like Sonic. I was disappointed that he didn't have too many stages in SA1, and that they were mostly replays of Sonic stages. I think a game with playable Tails needs sections in levels that are just for Tails, and not by those booster rings they just place in the air. To show off his other skills, maybe extra Tails gameplay should use some inventive elements the player has control over. But I dunno what that could be.

I'd like Tails' mechanical expertise to show up again in gameplay, but I've got no idea exactly how. The mech in SA2 was definitely too much. I like what Battle did, actually, with Tails pulling out buster guns and boxing gloves on springs to perform his special attacks, but I'm not sure how that'd translate to a regular Sonic game without being needlessly complicated.

If those ring bombs ever appear again as anything but a joke I'll have to choke somebody.

Maybe a good way to make Tails' moveset a little more varied without making it too complicated would be to give him the ability to swat projectiles back at enemies with his tails. Or possibly knocking one robot into another using a similar method.

While I really didn't care for the overuse of weapons in ShTH, I wouldn't mind Tails being able to pick up the occasional power-up... as long as he wasn't reliant on him. He has a perfectly good pair of weapons attached to him - his tails.

Edit: I think those ideas would work really well, Blazey. Particularly the repelling projectiles back at the enemy thing. He could also use downed bots by grabbing them and flying up to drop them on other enemies or to break open things.

I can totally imagine Tails replacing the Engineer in a TF2 game. If they brought Tails back with more or less standard Sonic mechanics and moves, and kept the mechanical stuff to a seperate menu like the special guitar tabs in Brutal Legend, I'd be fine with that. It's more a matter of deciding what kind of inventions would benefit a Sonic game, exactly.

I've already mentioned it somewhere, but it would be pretty cool if they used Unleashed's homing attack targetting to aim a ranged weapon or two - which come to think of it would be a bit like Gamma's gameplay, only with different core movesets and without the requirement of holding down the attack button for multiple enemies. Circumstances pending, it could be pretty neat to build your own springs or speed pads where you need them, maybe a big bomb for classic screen-clearing, or a floating platform of some vauge description to restore his stamina in a long flight. I can't think of much else right now, but the potential's certaintly there.

Edit: I think those ideas would work really well, Blazey. Particularly the repelling projectiles back at the enemy thing. He could also use downed bots by grabbing them and flying up to drop them on other enemies or to break open things.

Heh, I glad you like my idea, and I like yours too.^^ I figured if Sonic Team could make the Werehog do all kinds of crazy things with his stretchy arms, they could come up with something for Tails to do with his flight/tail whip abilities.^^

Basically I'd like to see something like this:

tailsfight.png

• Thumbs Up 1

As INCREDIBLY cheesy as that comic was (I cringed big time x.x), those were some nifty tail-moves ^^ Tails is a competent fighter - at least, he should be, armed with those!

Another thing he's done in the comics and in the cartoons is use his tails like a giant fan to send bots staggering back to buy more time. Kinda like a single-directional air shield.

As INCREDIBLY cheesy as that comic was (I cringed big time x.x), those were some nifty tail-moves ^^ Tails is a competent fighter - at least, he should be, armed with those!

Michael Jordon is known for battle experience. May death come swiftly to his enemies.XD

But yeah, I always thought that fight looked cool since I was a wee one.^^

Another thing he's done in the comics and in the cartoons is use his tails like a giant fan to send bots staggering back to buy more time. Kinda like a single-directional air shield.

Oh, yeah, that would be pretty neat, kind of like Sonic's whirlwind thing, but pushing enemies away instead pulling them in. Would be funny to send Badniks off a cliff with that kind of attack.^^

These ideas are making me think of Zelda games, with the smacking projectiles and wind attacks (deku leaf). I used to think it'd be good to map different gadget moves to certain buttons like in a Zelda, but I never really considered Tails' physical moveset. I think there should be a creative aspect to his gameplay, like a workshop mode. Are there games out there that have players building things out of components and bringing them into stages? I'm also a big fan of Tails and puzzle solving, but it's hard to do that in a speedy game. I liked what they did with the switches in the sticky-wall room in Lost World, but that's hardly a puzzle. Maybe something a little more complicated.

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf

These ideas are making me think of Zelda games, with the smacking projectiles and wind attacks (deku leaf). I used to think it'd be good to map different gadget moves to certain buttons like in a Zelda, but I never really considered Tails' physical moveset. I think there should be a creative aspect to his gameplay, like a workshop mode. Are there games out there that have players building things out of components and bringing them into stages? I'm also a big fan of Tails and puzzle solving, but it's hard to do that in a speedy game. I liked what they did with the switches in the sticky-wall room in Lost World, but that's hardly a puzzle. Maybe something a little more complicated.

Tails Adventure on Game Gear was a combination of Tails doing the usual running, jumping, and flying, while at the same time exploring and using gadgets. So, all of your suggestions sound quite plausible, and have a precedent in the past.^^

While I wouldn't suggest the same RPG format, Tails' Adventure actually had some good ideas with the inventory and power-ups. But... it had a few too many bombs ^^;

While I wouldn't suggest the same RPG format, Tails' Adventure actually had some good ideas with the inventory and power-ups. But... it had a few too many bombs ^^;

Obviously meeting Sonic caused Tails to leave his former life of terrorism.XD

Incidentally, '06's dummy ring bombs are the stupidest thing EVER, and I think that's almost universally agreed. So, no more bombs for Tails.

Incidentally, '06's dummy ring bombs are the stupidest thing EVER, and I think that's almost universally agreed. So, no more bombs for Tails.

Though, maybe he could use powers rings to run and fly faster, a la Sonic in SatAM and Sonic X.^^

I'd be happy whatever they did. SA-style, SA2-style, Heroes-style. Even a combination of the three.

If they made it so that you could switch between mech and regular gameplay at will (without being forced to use one or the other, perhaps different paths through the level), that would be pretty cool.

I think they first appeared in Sonic Heroes. He had them when the other two were unavailable (On switches or frozen etc)

I'd just like to see Tails return with traditional Sonic gameplay + flying using tail abilities like listed before ( like a "Deku Leaf"-styled move and tail swiping). I wouldn't want to see a combat system on him though, because that works better for Knuckles (since we all know that shouldve been Knuckles instead of the Werehog in Unleashed, no matter how much of a GoW tipoff it was). :P

I'd just like to see Tails return with traditional Sonic gameplay + flying using tail abilities like listed before ( like a "Deku Leaf"-styled move and tail swiping). I wouldn't want to see a combat system on him though, because that works better for Knuckles (since we all know that shouldve been Knuckles instead of the Werehog in Unleashed, no matter how much of a GoW tipoff it was). :P

No. It should've been Ristar :). The gameplay was alot like a battle oriented 3D Ristar.

oh and I'd like Tails to do something like this (Get ready for some top quality artwork!):

post-1157-125751889513_thumb.png

If you can't tell whats happening (Don't know how though XD), he'S boosting himself off the ground with his tails.

I would want to see him playable on foot- not moving at 3mph, and not throwing Ring Bombs for all of his attacks. He should play like Sonic. I don't like the way alternative characters in recent Sonic titles feel like they're coming from different games altogether- have some consistency.

I will say though that I want him to be more distinguished from Sonic than he was in the classic titles. Maybe his levels should emphasize flight and his other abilities while trying to stick to the Sonic formula.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Maybe a good way to make Tails' moveset a little more varied without making it too complicated would be to give him the ability to swat projectiles back at enemies with his tails. Or possibly knocking one robot into another using a similar method.

I really like that idea. Using his tails as his default attack with a large variety of gadgets and weapons as temporary power-ups, most for doing damage, and unique gadgets in certain levels for going through level gimmicks.

It's simple and doesn't detract from the overall platforming format, rather it could enhance it greatly if done right.

I would want to see him playable on foot- not moving at 3mph, and not throwing Ring Bombs for all of his attacks.

Yes, for God's sake don't slow him down to a crawl again. He went from being almost as fast as Sonic to being slower than Amy! I don't want him to be as fast as Sonic, of course, but I hate how much he's been slowed down. He should be a fairly quick and nimble character, not a painstakingly slow and clunky one.