Awoo.

Tails' next playable appearence

Blazey Firekitty

Moderation is the key. If he's in a mech, it's easy to forget why he's even called Tails, but if he plays just like he did in the classics, his skills as a mechanic seem a bit out of place when they pop up in the story. If it was one or the other I'd choose the latter any day, but I prefer a combination. That's why I liked how he was represented in Battle and Chronicles: there was enough room in the gameplay to show off a variety of abilities, some natural and some mechanical.

In a game like Unleashed, maybe he could use ring energy to power gadgets instead of the boost? I don't know how that game would work for a character that couldn't boost, but flight and some variation in level design might make it different enough that it wouldn't be necessary.

Chronicles was good for showcasing his abilities, and he was very valuable in battle as a support/medic role. But I wish they'd given him at least ONE solo attack with his tails. He had some cool tag-team attacks, but nothing of his own.

Then again, RPGs are often very type-cast like that, so it's not a major thing.

Since he was all about buffing and debuffing in that game, maybe an ability like Pokemon's Tailwind that speeds up the entire party?

...heh, Tailwind. I didn't even notice that for a second.

Pff... give him ATTACKS, man! He could have some sweet solo moves in an RPG environment. His tails are pretty much perfect for melee attacks (ranged, not so much, admittedly).

I just want him ti have a Tail attack like in Adventure, But with the Rythem Badge. :) Or he could beat people with a giant wrench (Ratchet and Clank XD)

HOLAS:

Maybe I am wrong... but don't you think "Shadow the Hedgehog" gameplay would fit Tails?

Just... take Shadow Chaos Skills and add flying and other stuff (the breakdancing badge of Adventure was awesome), replace weapons with other gadgets, shitch cursing with cute (in moderation), and you have a Tails game...

*dodges bricks as runs away from the forum*

Edited by imarafan

I want to be purist and say "Just give us classic Tails with flying and spin jumping and Sonic-style action," but that would be more of an affectation for me. I think what I'd really consider cool is strapping a slick backpack on him, and combining his classic gameplay with some gadget elements. He could have some (carefully selected and executed) scifi weapons, plus some utility equipment. Novel stuff like nightvision goggles for a special dark stage or two, and boosters to make him fly faster and farther, and who knows, maybe even bring back the awesome little remote-control robot from Tails Adventure, and give him vehicular stages for the Tornado and the Sea Tail submarine or whatever it was called.

Special stages could even borrow from Knuckles' Sonic Adventure stages, with a little radar dish that could pop out of his backpack to guide him through a crazy zone to a Chaos Emerald. Then again, Knuckles' SA stages never were super-fun, so that might be a step in the wrong direction...

• Thumbs Up 1

... and give him vehicular stages for the Tornado and the Sea Tail submarine or whatever it was called.

Oh man, I knew I forgot something! The Sea Fox must return, I love that thing. A level or two in the sub would be great, if they could figure out how to make it move in 3D. As for the Shadow mention above, I always felt Tails was much more suited for vehicular gameplay because of his tech expertise. His mech levels would've been more tolerable if the vehicle was exitable. I understand he needed to be the Hero story counterpart to Robotnik though.

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf
  • Thumbs Up 1

A level or two in the sub would be great, if they could figure out how to make it move in 3D.

Being that the Sonic series usually has fairly arcade-y vehicles, I think they could get away with using the same mechanics/engine for both the airplane and the sub, just with modified handling. I think submarine combat would look awesomecore on current-gen consoles, given how good underwater effects are getting these days.

The biggest problem with the mech levels for both Tails and Eggman was that they were both piloting vehicles that could normally fly, but for gameplay purposes weren't able to. The knowledge that your vehicle was fully capable of becoming a plane at any time but didn't ever feel like it when it was necessary made difficult jumps especially frustrating. In both cases, the ability to transform from one mode to another would have made the levels a lot more interesting.

Yes to the Sea Fox. I can't imagine it being that hard to pull off; a variation on the Tornado's mechanics but with a different variety of weapons and scenery would be fine, as mentioned. Besides, it'd give us an excuse to have a proper underwater base level along the lines of Earthworm Jim's Down the Tubes (aesthetically, anyway).

Edited by Octarine

^Somebody just got their first keyboard^

I prefer Sonic 2 tails, and seeing as how Needlemouse is 2D I'm hoping for Tails making a grand return.

As for SA2, I was wishing that the mech levels were a 50/50 split of flying and mech walking. Think of it, you fly about and shoot in open spaces, and must transform and walk for tight spaces and hallways.

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 1

As for SA2, I was wishing that the mech levels were a 50/50 split of flying and mech walking. Think of it, you fly about and shoot in open spaces, and must transform and walk for tight spaces and hallways.

Ever play the unreleased Star Fox 2 for SNES? Sounds about like that, and it actually worked fairly well (at least for an FX chip game with rudimentary untextured 3D shapes).

I want classic tails, no mech levels, no sub levels, no crazy gadgets. the problem with that stuff is is that sonic team will just find a way to mess it up. Maybe in the future when the series gets on track, but for now I don't think Sonic team should try any gameplay gimmicks.

IM like the sonic the hedgehog ps3 tails character styl

Hiya. Since you've had a topic locked due to, um, a total lack of reader comprehension, I'm going to have to remind you to please use some level of coherency when making posts around here. Frankly... I can't understand a word you're saying.

IM like the sonic the hedgehog ps3 tails character styl

i think Sonic Adventure is a pretty cool guy eh runs fsat and doesn't afraid of anything.

Edited by Indigo Dude
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Tails should be in the tornado a couple times, but not too many. Mostly on foot in my opinion. I loved it when Tails follows Sonic is Sonic 2. He looked cute. I would like that, espically if the game with Tails was two player.

• Bad Quality Post 4

Regardless of how Tails gameplay while on his own might look in future games, i just want him to be controlable by a secnd player during Sonic's levels again.

• Thumbs Up 1

HOLAS:

I loved it when Tails follows Sonic is Sonic 2. He looked cute. I would like that, espically if the game with Tails was two player.

What about a game where you are Tails and you have to be Sonic's sidekick, you have to keep up with him, you have to carry him when he need to cross large gaps, you can push switches or reach places that sonic can't, you can help him to defeat Eggman robots and that stuff...

Yeah, I'm playing sonic & knuckles "the challenges" and I love the sidekick missions :P