Awoo.

Playable Eggman: Style Preferences

Dr. Mechano

I actually own Mario Land 2, and had no idea Wario was even in it, probably because of the Goombas and Koopa Troopers. It makes no sense, it would be like if the Gerudos were to send Moblins after Link.

But regardless, Eggman's motivation ranges from a desire to take over the world to a desire to be adored. Wario ranges from wanting to make everyone jealous of him to old fashion greed.

I'd like to have Eggman playable, again. I liked him in SA2. So I'd like it like that. Though on foot would be pretty funny.Imagine Eggman doing a spindash XD. Or jumping on enemies. Hey, if Big can do that stuff why not Eggman (I'm not sure if I'm serious o.o)?

Hey, if Big can do that stuff why not Eggman (I'm not sure if I'm serious o.o)?

This really is a good point; Even though Eggman is the most famous fat character in the series, Big is far fatter than he is- And he doesn't even have Eggman's improbably thin arms and legs.

I don't know, though; You can only show off his genius so much on foot. I feel like, as plausible and awesome as it might be to run around attacking people, it doesn't do justice to his genius characterization to not employ some super awesome machine.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I actually own Mario Land 2, and had no idea Wario was even in it, probably because of the Goombas and Koopa Troopers.

Most Koopas work for Bowser, but they're known to work as henchmen for other villains, or even to live peaceful nonvillainous lifestyles.

It makes no sense, it would be like if the Gerudos were to send Moblins after Link.

Ganondorf is a Gerudo, and he does send Moblins after Link, so this probably isn't the best comparison in this case.

EDIT: Didn't mean to double-post, sorry. I totally forgot I posted before, silly me.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

He is biologically a Gerudo, but even in his chronologically first appearance, hadn't been associated with the Gerudo for years, and the Gerudos proper resented his betrayal.

You really think of Robotnik's role as comparable to that of Wario's?

In all honesty, yes. Nintendo and SEGA apparently seems to think so when they decided to release the media packages of Robotnik alongside with Wario and Waluigi during both Mario and Sonic games. I guess while I am at it, that compatibility between all three in the new Mario and Sonic game apparently means that they don't have something in common. Inherent bizarreness and goofing off is a serious business guys.

"The point is that Kintobor is making a faulty comparison."

Faulty against what? Comparing him to another villain? How so? You know I could also bring up the topic that Bowser was playable in TWO whole games also, but that doesn't count by default right?

"Wario has barely any effect on Mario, isn't a reoccurring antagonist, and doesn't have an army."

Needless we forget that Wario hounds Mario in the Mario Land games and bought out Tatanga to kidnap Daisy. Wario in the second game kidnaps Mario's castle. Wario also discovers a giant golden statue of Princess Peach at the end of his first adventure, so apparently Mario wasn't effected by this event so much that he didn't steal and airlift the giant statue from the ruins of Syrup's castle. Wario also tries to outshine Mario in almost every sports title along with using Waluigi and even states that he is his rival. And while I must mention also a spinoff, Smash Brothers and the kidnapping of Princess Peach that drove Mario to react along with the Subspace bombings.

Or, how about the title intro to Mario and Sonic with Wario and Robotnik trying to create havoc to Mario and Sonic on snowboards? Did you forget that too? I mean it still happens. Wario even virtually tells Mario to "kiss his ass" in a nonverbal gesture in the same game when the two meet in the shopping village!

Needless must I forget the gathering of sub-bosses in Super Mario Land 2 were all led under Wario's demand.

I'm sure you know all of this, though.

Look, if you want to come out and shout that Robotnik doesn't need a game because you think so for no apparent reason, just say it, but don't go slinging sarcasm my way because you disagree.

You sound very uncouth this way Phos, and I am ashamed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Video game discussion on the intertubes: SERIOUS BUSINESS.

I don't think Wario is as prominent in the Mario series as Eggman is, even though Wario has had his own games. I'd really make more of a parallel between Eggman and Bowser if I was so inclined as to enter this argument (which I'm sort of not, since that's not really what this topic was supposed to be about in the first place).

Anyway, seriously, wasn't the point of this thread to prod at fun, hypothetical gameplay mechanics for Eggman, rather than snip back and forth about whether or not it'd happen, or what character is parallel to what other character?

• Thumbs Up 1

If you could mix parts of past Egg-pods, if you get the right combo, I declare that Scrambled Eggman by SnappleMan should play in the game.

Speaking of Eggman's army, some squad-based gameplay with a force of badniks might be an interesting choice. It'd be way out there, but if his whole gimmick is his ability to create robots, why not let you use a few of them?

...okay, maybe not the best-advised question, but I could see it working. Especially in a spin-off game, where it could be fleshed out a little more. That in combination with some of the suggested Eggmobile machine customization would definitely make me a happy camper.

Faulty against what? Comparing him to another villain? How so? You know I could also bring up the topic that Bowser was playable in TWO whole games also, but that doesn't count by default right?

Wario started out a villain, but he became an antihero by the very next game he was in, and that's pretty much what he's been doing pretty much ever since. I can't help but feel like your affection for Eggman is making you see him in a much more licit light than would really be accurate.

And here I thought you were talking about playing as Eggman in the regular games. But Eggman in his own game? To be frank, I don't really think there would be much demand. But as for the game itself, I don't really see it breaking any new ground really. There's already Overlord, Destroy all Humans, and Nuts & Bolts (Which I was disappointed by for it's limited number of mission types). All I'm really seeing is just Eggman cruising in and blowing stuff up.

Unless... A DS game where you've got Eggman's surroundings on the top screen, and a command interface on the bottom. Eggman's Egg-o-matic is a strong combatant, but can't win the battle on his own, you command Badniks via the bottom screen. The focus would be on urban warfare.

Another idea I had: If a Sonic game were to include a level editor, the interface and tutorials set it up as though you're Eggman creating challenges that that Hedgehog will never make it though... This might also curtail the number of levels that are little more than endless assortments of straightaways.

Read the second half of my post.

Regardless, I don't think that distinction can be made, it seems like saying that zero isn't a number.

Edited by Phos
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I think Eggman having an RTS game would be interesting. And considering he makes his troops from the ground up, they should be customizable as well.

I had another strange idea bouncing around in my head, so bear with me, it is going to be on the Wii and DS and utilize the controls, so I will explain the part that uses the controls that way. The best I can say it resembles is a cross between an R.P.G./simulator.

Let's put it this way: You are the mad doctor and you want to build your army from cobble.

Sure you do build an army, but you have also have to upkeep it, maintain and care for them less you want damaged robots and ones going rogue. Part of it was inspired from the Chao Garden of the previous Sonic games, but that is not all of the gameplay bundled into a little ball, because it is only half of it.

First off like in Pokemon you have a Badnik catalog, which you keep track of all of the models you have came across and/or built, and ones that you can make upgrades to. The problem is that some of the Badniks you want to upgrade to have to include parts from other models, which Robotnik has to find from defeating rogue robots/enemy robots and hardware, or see to gather inspiration from to create new types. Having a hidden small base at your hands, Robotnik can manufacture parts, but at a limit which causes you to go out on a field and battle other robots to tear apart and disassemble after defeating them. You can also choose to keep the robot and replace some parts in them when you have a choice of other parts to replace them. When you go along, Robotnik can form a team of four robots to fight alongside him in battle, and you continue to create better models and form bigger legions and greater strongholds against other enemy forces. Keeping your robots is a challenge as some have varying degrees of free will; older models have less while newer ones have more A.I and can defect. This means you have to actually care for some of them in your free time like the Chao in Chao Garden ( Stronger bonds do create stronger fighters and relationships in loyalty, but you choose how much you want to care for them.)

The DS comes in as another version of the game, but it also includes an addition which you can hook up to the Wii and do repairs on your robots as so:

Using the stylus, you choose the parts your want to add and using the pressure of the stylus, it can act as a welder to bond the parts in the robot. Too little of a weld can cause the part to fall loose during battle. The stylus can also act as a hammer, a buffer (to keep your robot sleek and reduce drag which increases speed and also to obviously keep it clean,) a bolt gun, tweezers, oil can, and other tools to keep your robots well cared for and as happy a robot could be with artificial appreciation. The DS version can also allow you to create a custom paint and design job on your Badnik if you wish.

With the Wii version which can be linked with the DS version to transfer Badnik data between games, you not only have a free-roaming adventure mode where Robotnik can go on grand adventures to collect parts and fight along with his robot buddies, but you have the army building mode as well. Here in this version like the Chao Garden, Robotnik can train and program his army, care for them by choosing to feed them whatever he wants (Badniks that have animals to run them must be fed and cared for the living thing inside, while you progress your technology you will have robots who need their Chaos Drives recharged from time to time or fed mineral spirits or oil.) or how much you want to "play" with them (target practice, A.I. testing, racing to judge their speed time for example of some of the things you can choose from) or test their loyalty (Take for instance in a fit of Robotnik-esque eccentricity you can bust a move, so are they dancing in tune with you? Are they even paying attention to your moves is one thing you could look out for.) Some robots will get along with each other and then there are some you might have to keep separate, after all you do have to keep an eye on your army. Don't like their attitude? Scrap them before they defect! Well, you could scrap them, but you choose if you want to be benevolent or hostile towards their actions, after all you might have to face them later in battle.

Along with building your robots, you have to build your base which will progress throughout the game on how well you are with your robots. If you have robots who are disloyal, then your base will be small or shoddily build, and the upkeep will be horrible.

And how about those big mechs for yourself? Surely I wouldn't forget such a thing. If you have robots that can help you (that have a reasonable amount of A.I. and free will, you can build ones just for this labor but with no personality whatsoever however they can be less efficient with details for one) to build the mechs, then you will have a well-built and efficient mech. If you are worried about the quality of their job or if you want to add a couple of things or go over them, then you can use the same screen to go over the machine as you did with your Badniks and use the same tools (and if you want to get personal, customize them and add big freaking missile launchers to the sides.)

Edited by Kintobor