Awoo.

A Sonic manga series from Shonen Jump?

vgmaster

I know that Sonic Manga already exists, but how would You like to see a Sonic Manga series like One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach from Shonen Jump? I think it would be pretty cool. It would have a real story with original characters. If we're lucky, we could actually have an anime based upon it!

EDIT: Stupid me, I'm actually talking about the publisher Shueisha.

Edited by vgmaster
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

That would be sweet if they based it around the games.

Well that can be done in certain parts for a series like this (like how game adaptations were done in Sonic X), but it shouldn't have to be essential.

Edited by vgmaster

I would absolutely love a new Sonic manga/anime. Of course we would need to rely upon some talented fansubbers or translators, but it would be great if it could be liscenced in English-speaking countries too.

I prefer the story aspect of the games to the actual gameplay so I'm all up for some new stories featuring the Sonic characters.

The OP mentioned "original characters", ehehe...to be honest I think the series has PLENTY of existing characters for a manga to make do with. I would love to see some new badnik designs for Eggman though.

So what should the manga/anime be about? I think plots tying in with the games would be great, but not necessarily adaptations...if I really wanted to hear about the plot of SA1/SA2/Heroes again I'd go play those games. Perhaps if they expanded on some of the stuff that was left unsaid (more detailed, better scripted, deeper retelling of Heroes would be nice XD) it'd be fresh and new, but rehashes of all the old game plots are a bit tiring if you ask me. I think story arcs would work well rather than one-issue storylines that always return to the status quo. I'd like to see the storylines taken a bit deeper and perhaps more mature (in that I mean having a storyline which isn't targeted towards children necessarily but all ages can relate to), something that makes me see the characters a little differently.

As you can see I'm a little picky when it comes down to what I want specifically...but in reality I'd be happy with any new manga/anime series.

See, it's in the case of anime/ manga/ cartoon/ comic/ other adaptations where Sonic as a franchise is fairly limited in what it can do, for the sole fact that the series is based off of a videogame.

I mean, take a look at Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and so on. They are their primary medium. They're not adapted from anything else, and as such don't have to operate within any such boundaries or restrictions. Things don't always have to end well, characters don't have to survive, stay good, or what have you. The characters in these manga and anime exist solely as plot devices, and live, die and everything else purely for the sake of making an interesting plot. They're epic, long and ongoing series that, in most cases, have had the majority of the plot worked out in advance, allowing for some pretty deep, complex stuff.

Sonic, however, is limited by its origins. They can't really do anything drastic. None of the main cast can ever die, 'defect to the dark side' as it were, or anything else along those lines, because SEGA simply wouldn't allow it to happen. You always know that all the main characters will be alive and well by the end of every game/ arc/ whatever, and essentially everything will be back to normal.

Now, it's possible to do something if you take mass creative liberty (as Archie tend to) and populate the series with silly amounts of original characters, which they can obviously kill off etc at will. The only problem there is that for anything like that to matter to the reader, the characters have to be well-established, which means lots of screen (or page) time. Which in itself is a problem that myself (and I'd assume many others) have with the Archie universe- the fact that their original characters practically overshadow many of the main SEGA cast.

I do think that the second series (or third season, whatever) of Sonic X pulled it off relatively well, even if the setting was a bit out-there. They brought in Cosmo, a single original character, had her stick around long enough for you to give a damn, then killed her off. That series probably had the strongest (and longest) plot of, well, any Sonic media ever. It was basically a full-blown 26-episode arc. But even that came at a price- they were only able to create such a plot because they took Sonic and co. out of their regular setting, thus giving them much more creative freedom.

So yeah. That's sort of my view on "Nice as it would be, I don't think Sonic would work as a long-running epic in the vein of Naruto or One Piece etc". Then again, maybe it could. GinTama manages after all, and that's relatively episodic, in most cases.

That would be very intersting to see how much we can make a difference in the real video game world manga. Naruto is a very cool manga. Sonic manga would be awesome with its own characters and everything. Archie did a very good job. I don't see why not we should talk to Shueisha about that. I am only eleven, so most people don't listen to me. I am very mature for my age though. Mangas are a interesting type of illustration. I would go out a buy a Sonic manga anytime by Shueisha, if my mom would drive me. I wish I could drive. Back on topic now. A sonic manga by a famous manga company. That would be way past cool!

• Bad Quality Post 3

I think the artist and/or writer is more important than the company that releases it. However I do think it'd be cool to get a Sonic from Shueisha, seeing as they release my favorite mangas (I'm sort of contradicting myself, but oh well :D). I'd like seeing it telling the Storys of the games. It'd be interesting to see how they'd do the Genesis games.

Yes, a new manga/anime would be good, because it'd do everyone a favor and help them forget that trainwreck Sonic X ever happened, and crush the existance of really bad fanfiction (Archie's "Sonic the Hedgehog" comics).

I wouldn't mind a series that takes place on South Island or such, with a similar take as it was in the OVA (except maybe with their modern designs). Sonic and Tails chill on the beach every day, while unaware to them Eggman is making a deliciously evil plan of world domination (with a kooky twist), and Knuckles carries around his Master Emerald in a sack as he puts on his cowboy hat and goes adventuring and treasure hunting. Now, throw other characters in and you got yourself a good anime/manga. =P

Seriously though, I can imagine all the things they could do to make it a nice manga. It has potential to be about "Bleach" level, where things are serious at times, and funny at others (not over-the-top in one way or the other). It's amazing to hear this from a guy like me, but I think I'd like alot of the characters to appear in something like this, just as long as its not leading to overshadowing Sonic himself. If they could do that properly in a manga/anime, then they could keep the many characters with highly developed personalities to the manga and such, and let the simplicity stay true in the games.

I would be intrested in this but would want it to be done by games.

So 1st manga could be the story sonic 1 etc and then with the newer games getting more volumes.

I wouldnt be intrested if it was just another sonic x i want manga/anime of the games story.

As awesome as Jump is, it's not like it's the only periodic manga publisher in the world. There's plenty others. I say this because Dengeki published a couple of short manga chapters for Sonic Unleashed back when it was first released. They were actually really well done because they expanded the story and discussions seen in the game without looking ridiculously off from canon. They're also funny as hell.

Aside from that, I don't see why a Sonic manga couldn't work. The Sonic story and cast are very much a "shonen" series. It's just Sonic doesn't have enough favorability in Japan to motivate someone there to get something started.

Shonen Jump was mentioned because it's a more action oriented manga than the majority (I think). I want a manga as well, only I know the excitment levels I have when I see a small one-shot swarming around, as long as they keep a format compatible with the games, ie, Sonic and Eggman takes priority, Sonic's attitude and Eggman's silliness must be part of it, secondary focus goes to story and setting overall (I want it colourful and wacky) and thirdly, character development and connections WITH CHARACTERS THAT WE ALREADY KNOW AND THAT IS CONSISTENT WITH THEIR PORTRAYAL in the games. They can go wild from there on. The good about the classic storylines is that there's a lot of things that can be expandaded and worked on, without making it an alienating work.

Edited by redmenace

If it involves an insanely deep, super-complex and highly involving storyline (featuring Shadow, Tails, Silver and most definitely the return Black Doom) combined with heart-thumping action that could only normally occur somewhere beyond the average human's wildest dreams, then I'm sold.

It also has to ooze atmosphere and emotion like heat from the sun, contain gratuitous violence and be filled to the brim with dark humour. In my opinion THAT would make a good Manga!

• Bad Quality Post 1

If it involves an insanely deep, super-complex and highly involving storyline (featuring Shadow, Tails, Silver and most definitely the return Black Doom) combined with heart-thumping action that could only normally occur somewhere beyond the average human's wildest dreams, then I'm sold.

It also has to ooze atmosphere and emotion like heat from the sun, contain gratuitous violence and be filled to the brim with dark humour. In my opinion THAT would make a good Manga!

For fans of both Sonic and Manga, that would be perfect.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 years later...

i would love to see Shonen Jump's Sonic The Hedgehog as a manga/anime with it being a reboot of Sonic SatAM and a spiritual successor to archie sonic. https://www.deviantart.com/burningmario234/art/Shonen-Jump-s-Sonic-Backstory-786272111 https://www.deviantart.com/burningmario234/art/Shonen-Jump-s-Sonic-The-Hedgehog-786262964 so let me pitch it to you, Take Sonic SatAM And archie sonic and go dragon ball, saint seiya, fist of the north star, yu yu hakusho, bleach, one piece, and naruto on it, you know what i mean, take the Sonic SatAM and archie sonic story and put a new spin on it, in that case make sonic into a shonen hero, and whamo, you get shonen jump's sonic the hedgehog.

Edited by Benjamin Raymer
update