Awoo.

What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer?

Demonoroth

Found this on an other forum and I found it to be rather interesting to see what it would be like for all you lovely people here.

Someone else put it better than I probably could so gonna use his words to start this one.

Compared to the average gamer I'm strong in everything (most of us are). The average gamer is not competitive. I compare myself to those who specialize in each category. For example I'm good with Strategy games if you compare me to all gamers but probably average if you compare me exclusively with strategy game players. With this in mind, I'm average in most games.

I'd say same goes for me. I ain't all that big on the whole playing only one type of game and being competitive at it. Not that I don't enjoy competing. When I do...I don't suck but neither am I great then.

Weaknesses:

-FPS

-2D Fighting games (trying to work on it with SF4 though)

-Strategy games (except Fire Emblem)

-GH/RB games (there's always certain songs I simply can't beat on extreme)

Strengths:

-RPG's

-Action/Stealth games

-3D Fighters (Got to love Virtua Fighter)

-Platformers

-Racers

For the racers prefer simulation over arcade though I do look forward to the new outrun coming out.

But certain F1 mods for Rfactor are still my main things when it comes to competing. Fully customizable car set up. Strategic racing. Very good drivers to compete with online and doing 100% full F1 seasons. I like it, it pushes me to the limit and it's one thing I'm actually pretty damn good at.

You're of course free to explain as to why you consider it to be a weakness or strength of yours. It should be an interesting read for everyone here and give us all a bit of more in depth look at everyone.

So...I'd say fire away.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Demonoroth

• Kernel Machinegun

• Diogenes

• Mollfie

Strengths:

Platformers

RPGs

Fighting Games (2D and 3D)

Puzzle Games

Weaknesses:

Shooters

Strategy games

GH/RB games

Singing games

Well, I prefer turn-based games, because it's sometimes difficult for me to make fast desigions, so I lack in RTS and FPS. Also, if I like some game I'll train hard to be a master in it, even it requires fast reaction. So it turns out as I need much more time to learn how to play in a new game. For example I like RPG's and JRPG's or tactics games such as Jagged alliance and laser squad nemesis, but still I play Sonic and Devil may cry game series, and play really good! =)

Strengths:

FPS

Platformers

Racers (No Sims)

Most shooters except the classic arcade pop-up shooters

Weaknesses:

Strategy

Sim Racers

Puzzles

I dunno if I have any real strengths. I guess I'm pretty good with platformers...I've managed to 100% nearly every Sonic game I've played, as well as the 3 3D Marios and several others, and generally never found it too difficult. And I guess Action/Adventure sort of games too.

Weaknesses, hoo boy.

Stealth. Goddamn stealth sections ruin everything. I've got no subtlety or patience, I'd rather run in and kill everything in the room, but when that isn't an option, I fail. Even the sneaking in OoT I'm fucking terrible at (that being the main reason I never finished it, in fact).

Memorization. Over a long enough period of time I'll internalize a lot of information about a game, but give me, say, a specific button combo that's more than about 3 or 4 presses and I'll never be able to pull it off. It's one of the reasons I've never gotten into traditional fighting games; a bunch of abstract button combinations for a dozen different moves just shuts my brain right down. I'll stick to SSB's 1 button+1 direction controls, thank you...

Resource management. RTSes and the like. I can't multitask like that. Put me in control of one thing and I'm fine, make me give orders to a group and I'm useless.

I'm also pretty crap at FPSes, though that may be more due to inexperience. Nintendo's never been a good choice for decent FPSes...

Strengths:

2D Fighting Games

Sports Games

Platformer Games

Real-time RPG Battle Games

Weaknesses:

FPS (just not good at keeping aware of my surroundings)

Turn-style RPG Battle Games (no patience)

Somewhere in the middle:

Music games (Rock Band, Guitar Hero / can only play MEDIUM)

I'm pretty good at adventurers/platformers and tactical RPGs, and I suck at virtually everything else - fighters, FPSs, MMORPGs, puzzles, you name it. While I love RPGs in general and can completely master a tactical RPG within dozens of hours (give me any Nippon Ichi game and I'll be sure to do as much as I possibly could in the game, save for Prinny Baal with all Stronger Enemies bills passed), I have a much tougher time with console RPGs such as Persona 3.

Edited by Jake

I tend to play games as fast as possible. Which makes me fail a bit in stuff like Unleashed's Werehog levels. Which is slightly ironic since it was most likely Sonic games that made me play like this in the first place =/.

I'm pretty good at racing games, I can figure out the physics quite well so I'm good at corners etc.

Really though, I don't play games much so I'm quite bad at mostly everything :P.

As an avid online gamer for both Halo and Gears, I'd say my strengths lie in teamwork and communication, as well as being fairly competant with every weapon (Except halo snipers >_<). I also have insane reflexes when playing well, able to spin and take out peopel with quick headshots in games like SWAT.

However, I'm easily annoyed at laggy games, usually caused by my bad connection, and that auses me to play worse. I also get distracted by music, singing instead of playing and dying more often.

Strengths:

-Platformers (2D/3D)

-Racing games (Arcade & Sim)

-JRPGs

-Rhythm Games

-Flight Simulators

-Classic Shoot'em Ups

Weaknesses:

-FPS

-RTS

-Sports Games

-Fighting (2D/3D)

-Danmaku Shoot'em Ups

Strengths:

Platformers

Beat 'em ups (Streets of Rage, the old Ninja Turtles games, etc)

Puzzle games

Fighting games (mostly 2D, but I'm pretty good with a few 3D ones like Virtua Figher)

Racing games

Rhythm games not including Guitar Hero/Rock Band (I'm a master at DDR :D)

"Casual" games (Wii bowling kicks ass)

Weaknesses:

FPSs

RPGs

Sports games

Strategy games

Guitar Hero/Rock Band

Sim games (where you're in control of a city/amusement park/whatever)

Strengths

Platformers

Simple RPGs ( Mario, Skies of Arcadia, EarthBound )

I perform best with these two. I am really at home with platformers, being raised on Mario and Sonic and all. I'd say the platformers I had the most trouble with would be Kid Icarus and Castlevania.

Weaknesses

First Person Shooters

Strategies

Minigame collections

I don't care for shooters much. Especially the realstic ones you see today. Especially when it's multiplayer. When I watch my friend play them online, I just don't get how he finds them even remotely entertaining. When I am coaxed into playing them, I get killed way to easily, and have no fun.

I rarely look into the strategy genre. The only game I completed, and genuinely enjoyed was Zack and Wiki. No guides used here!

Im just not very competitive. So I don't care for minigame collections. When I do manage to play, I always rank really low. It might be because my friend is a freak who sits on his ass all day and all night playing video games without rest, so naturally he's inhumanly good at them. But that's not the point. I don't like minigame collections, except for the Wario Ware games. Those micro games are pretty fun when you switch em up.

Huh, I don’t know if I have a gaming weakness. I have a vast array of genre’s for my consoles and I picked up each game fairly quickly without any trouble. I am generally good at just about anything I play after a few practice bouts.

I guess my lack of patience can be considered a weakness. I don’t like to play overly tedious RPG’s but even on that front none of the Final Fantasy’s gave me any trouble….

Weaknesses:

-Danmaku Shoot'em Ups

LOL'd, even though I'm no better at them, most likely.

Strengths:

Memorization

Beginner's Luck (then as I become more experienced, I get screwed over more frequently. Case in point: Just about anything.)

Rhythm

Striving for completion

Weaknesses:

Completion itself.

RTS

Strategy in general.

Edited by The Joiner

Strengths:

Platformers

RPGs that are easy and don't bore the hell out of me. (coughchronotriggercough)

Puzzle games (Puyo Puyo especially)

Weaknesses

Online PvP games/Online games with no team support

FPS

Racing

Fighting games

MetroidVania games

A lot of NES games

???

Rythym games - Not sure about this one, but according to two guys who play Expert on GH:WT regularly, I caught on to the game quick after playing it for the first time. I can't tell if I'm good or not, since I don't own any of GH/RB games and I only play in booths. I can say that I can nail Normal mode on Bass though.

My strengths:

JRPG's that hold my attention

FPS

Platformers

Fighters

Weaknesses:

Completion... let's face it if you give me a game like the original Banjo Kazooie I'll want to complete it, give me one like Nuts and Bolts and I just go "why bother it's so boring".

Strengths:

Platforming

Racing

RPGs

Fighters (both 2D and 3D)

Guitar Hero/Rock Band (guitar only)

Weaknesses

Everything else

Strengths:

Platforming

Racing

Fighters

Simulation

JRPGs

Sports

Strategy/Puzzles (Some)

Weaknesses:

FPS

RPGs

Basically everything else... DX

Strengths:

-Fun games.

Weaknesses:

-Boring as fuck games.

/thread

lol so true.

There are lots of people way better than me anyway lol.

Well, I haven't been able to play with other people that much so I'm not so sure right now. But here's my best guess at where I stand.

Strengths:

Platformers (Sonic, Mario, Rocket Knight Adventures)

Fighting games (2D and 3D; Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Virtua Fighter, King of Fighters)

RPGs (Final Fantasy, Earthbound)

Action-Adventure (Castlevania, Legend of Zelda, Metroid)

side-scrolling shoot-'em ups (Gradius, Giga Wing, Metal Slug)

Beat-em' ups (Final Fight, Streets of Rage)

Arcade shooters(Virtua Cop, Time Crisis, House of the Dead)

Arcade Racing(Ridge Racer)

Weaknesses:

Music/dancing games(Guitar Hero, Rock Band, DDR,etc.)

Sports

Strategy

Neutral:

Racing(Simulation)

FPS

Strengths:

PC FPS (gotta have a moue for FPS-ing)

Unrealistic racers

Air combat games

Run & Gun (think Metal Slug)

Driving games (Outrun... and that's all there is in the genre)

Unique games. For some reason, if a game has no genre, I'm probably good at it (Rez, NiGHTS, Portal (kinda, though it's mostly a platformer), Shadow of the Colossus, Virtual ON)

Fighters

RTS

Weaknesses:

Console FPS (The stick!)

Realistic racing games (They all move so much slower than they claim, and it throws me off)

Some others in both categories that I can't think of right now.

I'm very impatient with most games. If I don't finish a mission right or whatever, I just keep replaying it over and over again until my fingers hurt and I finally give up (I rarely give up though =P). I also tend to swear alot when I lose a life, get a game over and/or fail a mission. Yeah.

EDIT: Ack, strengths? Well I like exploring stages so I can find lives and collect things easier. And I also get used to the controls pretty fast, especially when there's a tutorial stage.

Edited by Gabz Girl

Hmm this has been interesting so far...well at least to me.

Though I must admit my ideas about what certain people would answer were pretty accurate.

People you do realize that the only reason I'm doing this is because I'm nothing more but a freak who likes getting as much info as possible and then gets into your head and mentally screws you over.

You know I'm that homeless guy you see, the little schoolgirl you see each day passing you by. I'm those birds sitting in that tree over there...

On a more serious note. I really didn't expect so many would respond to this. And from what I can tell the answers seem to be pretty honest as well. The only fear I had with creating this topic was that it would turn into an e penis waving contest. Then again...SSMB is the best forum I know with good and nice people.

Ooh and I forgot two things on my strength's list here are two more for that one.

-Lightgun games

-Any horror kind of game (RE, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame)

Edited by Demonoroth