Awoo.

The ONE thing STH06 got right.

Cortez

Tails's flying makes you move forward automatically though, landing is nearly impossible when the camera spazzes out too. I did enjoy picking off searchlights in White Acropolis, but I don't think it fits Tails so well as tail attacks.

Also Tails/Knuckles etc should NOT be that slow :(

I never liked the Dummy Rings in the first place. Ever since Sonic Heroes, they just seem kinda silly. Especially when these characters are known for having actual moves.

Are you kidding? Tails was fun as hell to play as! His running speed may have been slow, but when flying, he was almost as fast as Sonic. Dropping dummies rings on top of robot's from the sky = priceless. Staying on the ground and aiming was NOT how the character was meant to be played, and I laugh when people don't realize this.

Gamma's (I'm sorry, OMEGA's) game play was fun as well, except it could have used a targeting cross hair. Rouge was fun for the same reason as Tails, but she was unfortunately marred by the wall clinging glitch. Blaze was amazing, and I wish she had gotten her own storyline to play through. Silver was definitely unique, and even though his attacks didn't hit their target every time, the system worked and was more than enjoyable.

Sonic is Sonic; what else needs to be said about that? All of Shadow's vehicles with the exception of the buggy were pretty fun to play with, if not a little difficult to master (looking at you, motorcycle). The only characters that got shit gameplay were Amy, Knuckles, and (arguably) Rouge. Even then, the IDEA behind their respective gameplay style was solid... except maybe Amy. Don't know WHAT the fuck they were thinking when they turned her into The Invisible Woman.

I disagree with the Tails part. But Omega and Blaze were really fun to play as. Blaze was probably my favorite character in the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree with the Tails part. But Omega and Blaze were really fun to play as. Blaze was probably my favorite character in the game.

It was a long time ago, but I still have the lingering feeling that Blaze was faster than Sonic. Which is weird and untrue (I suppose?) but I always had that impression. Even when I see it on youtube or something.

I really disliked the models in '06. They were much too lanky, the shading was poor in it's unrefinery, the eyes looked almost souless and had a weird reflection that often consumes the irises and Sonic ALWAYS looks mean/angry. Well then again, Sonic does often look angry, I guess it's the shape of his eyes that gives this impression.

In '06, their teeth look like charcoal briquettes!

I might understand the lankeyness of the models if it was directly said that the characters aged because I can kinda see how they would possibly change and look like that through growth. If you ask me, the Sonic in '06 looks 17-18 years old going by the lankeyness and meaner look.

The game's designs suited some characters better than others. '06 Shadow didn't bother me as much because it sort of suited him to look older, and Blaze is so skinny anyway that a little extra stretch didn't affect her much. Tails was alright too, mainly because his appearance wasn't altered nearly as much, and I don't have much of an impression of '06 Knuckles at all. He probably looked alright.

The rest, though... Sonic and Amy in particular looked awful. The ANGRA FACE effect hit them both the hardest, I think, since unlike Shadow they couldn't use their "maturity" as a crutch. The animations didn't help things either: all those random, jerky movements really emphasized the noodly aspect of the extra-long limbs.

If we ever need to see an older version of the main cast, I'd vote for Uncle Chuck-style mustaches a thousand times over the style of '06. Yes, even for the ladies.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 1

They never mentioned him being any older, more likely they were trying to make him look more realistic. Ironically, they made him less realistic. They also made him much less cute.

And really, the design just doesn't look very well put together, it seems ill conceived. Check out a side by side versus the Unleashed design:

Sonicrun_2006.pngAwesomeSonicpic.png

I've always sort of disliked the Sonic CG pictures they used for Unleashed. Something just never looked right about that picture of Sonic running and the picture of Sonic standing with his arm on his side.

But of course that's not saying I dislike the look of Unleashed's Sonic design, it's just that those shots have always sort of bothered me. In-game, Sonic looks richly animated and cartoony, and looks like classic Sonic with green eyes and grey soles on his shoes. Everything about the design just screams "Sega, you did it right this time." Look, if we never had classic Sonic ever again and instead had the Unleashed design, I wouldn't mind, because they're not that different.

The model from Nextgen is decent, but it does have it's flaws like listed before, although some of the things about it don't bother me as much as it does to others. Don't get me wrong though, I never said Sonic's Nextgen model was "teh beZt evar", I'm just semi-defending it because this model gets the most flak even though there are indeed worse (Heroes, Riders, SA2). Still though, Unleashed / SA1 Sonic ftw.

Edited by Azukara

I wouldn't call this "something" the game got "right."

Neither would I; I would, however, call it something along the lines of: "yet another thing" that this underrated work of genius "succeeded at with epically brilliant results". In addition to that, I would also call it: "another incensing addition" to the long list of things that Sonic and the Black Knight "poorly produced in a predictably lacklustre fashion".

Either will do nicely.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

For me, Sonic '06 was perfect graphically (minus the low-res shadows).

It was what I thought a next-gen Sonic title should look like. I'm also one who noticed the incredible amount of detail in the character models and CG renders. Unleashed took a step in the wrong art direction IMO :(

I still haven't finished Unleashed up to now because of my hatred towards it...

cause_of_chaos

• Bad Quality Post 1

From what I've heard from reviews and other Sonic gamers, it is that almost everything in that game was half@$$ed and poorly executed like the gameplay, story, concepts, and the like. However, the only things that looked/were decent were the graphics and the music, nothing else really.