Awoo.

Activision trademarks Drum Hero

Detective Shadzter

dher.jpg

The inevitable Drum Hero has been trademarked by Activision. The company could just be covering their backs but with all the current Hero games that are out, it wouldn't surprise me if this game does come to be.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=103414

Original trademark source -

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77861914

Would anyone here welcome a Drum hero title?

Hmm... I wouldn't be surprised if Drum Hero becomes a reality. I'll at least try it out at Best Buy and make an ass out of myself in front of 10 people watching me play it. :P

Err, correct me if I'm wrong, since I've never actually played any of the Guitar Hero games, but... can't you use drums in those anyway? D=

I fail to see how they could justify basing a whole game around drums with that being the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Err, correct me if I'm wrong, since I've never actually played any of the Guitar Hero games, but... can't you use drums in those anyway? D=

I fail to see how they could justify basing a whole game around drums with that being the case.

Activision have never made sense in this franchise. Yeah, drums come with Guitar Hero: World Tour, Guitar Hero 5 and Band Hero. Since they still called those couple of titles Guitar Hero games despite the mic and drums it wouldn't surprise me if they release Drum Hero and still let you use the guitar and mic.

This is most likely nothing at all. They're just covering possibilities, like Nintendo do with Pokémon. (Pokémon White Gold, Pokémon Vermillion etc)

I want Keyboard/Piano Hero, dammit. But as much as I like playing the drums, this really isn't getting into overkill status. Perhaps they simply copyrighted it just so no one else could and they really have no plans on making it? :|

I was expecting Keytar Hero.

Son, I'm disappoint.

Fixed

Also still no Accordion Hero? C'mon Activision, I wanna rock out to "Another one Rides The Bus" already.

Also Cowbell Hero.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any stupider.

What's next? Singer Hero?

singstar_boxart.jpg

Well, it's drumline from your couch! With such icons as Neil Peart and... uh, your neighborhood college bands? Seriously though, if they make this...

BESSY-CC.jpg

Successful name or not, the Music "hero" franchise is Activision's Madden on coffee and Red Bull! I mean, I do have some enjoyment with these games, but I honestly stopped buying them and play them over at a friend's house. There's always a copy of that franchise lying around... I'll admit, I like DJ Hero, but I see that growing stale late next year if, possibly, DJ Hero 2, Funk Master Flex, Jazzy Jeff, AM and etc. (Notice I never said Daft Funk. If they do that, then personally, that will be the only DJ Hero game I would ever need.)

AND WHERE THE HELL IS TRUMPET HERO?! >:C

Edited by YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is most likely nothing at all. They're just covering possibilities, like Nintendo do with Pokémon. (Pokémon White Gold, Pokémon Vermillion etc)

I' assuming this is the case also.

Even if this looks like a way to cover their bases, I bet they release a Drum Hero sooner or later.

On an unrelated note, I want to see how a Bagpipes Hero would work...

I want Keyboard/Piano Hero, dammit.

Can you imagine hauling home a full-sized plastic piano peripheral, though?

Eh, Activision have really becoming unoriginal and predictable with these titles already. But dang it where's my Triangle Hero?!

a5122_thumb.gif

I'm also anticipating Kazoo Hero, Penny Whistle Hero, and Hillbilly Band Hero (comes with empty moonshine jug and washboard).

Also, when would they try to do non-musical Hero titles? Why not Super HERO (a street fighting superhero game) or HERO Sandwich (cooking game)?

Edited by AdventChild

Wasn't this trademark issued ages ago, along while a whole bunch of arbitrary "x" Hero names?

I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Harmonix (now working on Rockband, etc.) actually was the one to fist trademark Drum Hero, shortly after GH2 was released, I believe. Along with that, they had Guitar Villain, etc. The trademarks were sold to Activision/Neversoft when MTV bought Harmonix, I believe. Harmonix planned on making Drum Hero as a seperate game, and 'slowly merge them into one', but then the buyout happened and they were like "well fuck that" and made Rockband. "Keyboard is a possibility in the future", quoth Harmonix. O:

Drum Hero? More like anhero, amirite.

I agree with the general consensus on trademarks here. It makes no real sense to have a game specifically for drums when both Guitar Hero and Rock Band support that capability already, as did DrumMania LONG before the Guitar Hero and Rock Band franchises*. Even though this is likely just to prevent others cashing in with a similar sounding name, this thread really does highlight that these games have become nothing more than a cash cow for Activision. New fad please!

@Kosuna: You're spot on about Rock Band's origins. Harmonix were not allowed to continue making Guitar Hero games after the buyout as Activision acquired all the trademarks. It amuses me how Harmonix just went hey, let's do it again, but better! Best "Fuck you, Activision!" ever?

* I would like to point out here that Konami did all these guitar, drum and DJ things many years before these guys even thought of it. Activision simply took the idea after noticing how popular Konami is in the East and exploited the niche in the Western market. Good on them for noticing but it's time to let a tired series lie. I believe the reason Activision hasn't been sued for basically ripping the ideas, one after another, off of Konami is due to some licensing arrangement the two companies have, particularly where the arcade cabs are concerned (Konami makes them, probably generates more money than a lump sum).

Yep! I know how it went, since I'm a huge Rockband fan. =) That's why Guitar Hero 3 was so vastly different from Guitar Hero 1, 2, and Encore: Rocks the 80's. As it turns out, Neversoft/Activision actually asked Harmonix for the GH2 source code, but since they were putting it to use for Rockband at the time, they disagreed, and kept it to themselves. Rockband actually runs off of a modified version of the GH2 engine, as does RB2, and all future releases bar the handheld ones.

8D *has stalked one of the programmers at Harmonix and asked him a few questions*

Wow, Drum Hero. If this gets released, they'll probably make money on this crap, even though they have Guitar Hero and Band Hero with drums, because some people are just slaves to the Hero brand. Hell, they can probably make Ukulele Hero and have it be a Million Dollar seller due to it being a new music game with a new plastic instrument. I'm hoping Drum Hero is just like what Nintendo does with most of those trademarked Pokemon game names.

These music games are getting annoying. Seriously their tests always get a page or two in magazines, even though they are pretty much the same thing over again >_>.

It would be pretty silly to release Drum Hero, so they probably are pulling a Nintendo by trademarking all they might ever need.

But what about Sitar Hero and Ukulele Hero? And the oft. speculated Accordion Hero?

Personally I can't wait for An Hero to come out. This series needs to die, or atleast calm down a bit.

What the hell sense does "Guitar Villain" do anyway. Would it be a competition of failure or bastardization of music?

Nah I think it'd just be the cliche black and white and silent bad quality footage version with top hats and pointy moustaches and masquerades and stuff. With Guitars in it.

I would actually buy that. Even though it's silent.

Edited by SuperLink

Something tells me that Activision will make anything into a Hero game. (maybe they have a machine that randomly generates a music related word to go next to Hero and make a game of it.) At the rate this goes, they might even trademark a Jukebox Hero video game (unrelated to the song) where you get points by flipping through records in the machine and get Star Power by inserting a quarter like you would to start a song on a jukebox. And despite a jukebox controller being weird as hell to use or look at, as long as it's a Hero game, it'll make a crapload of money. The music game fad needs to take a break.