Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog Board Games

Cube

I'm a big Sonic fan, and also love board games, there's a few old Sonic board games and a surprising amount of newer ones. Here's a list and my thoughts on a few. I've also made versions for a game called Tabletop Simulator, but I've only done so for the old out of print games.

Sonic the Hedgehog Game. 1992, Milton Bradley

Y1NWFuX.jpg

Everyone controls the same Sonic piece. Roll and move, collecting rings on your turn. It's very rare, but I managed to contact someone that owns it for photos and have recreated it in Tabletop Simulator. It's not as bad as I was expecting, due to the tactics involved in placing obstacles (badniks). 

Sonic The Hedgehog Card Game. 1992, Mattel

tct81nP.jpeg

This one is pretty terrible. You either attack or defend yourself, but there's usually one very obvious course of action. You want to steal rings off other players while protecting your own. One interesting thins is that the zone cards use the levels from the Master System version of Sonic the Hedgehog. I've also made a Tabletop Simulator version of it.

Sonic the Hedgehog Card Game. 1994, Waddingtons

eeAmf9J.jpg

I managed to get hold of a copy and took photos for Tabletop Simulator. It's not a very good game. It's like a very basic versions of sevens, but as you're only drawing one card of a time, it can either be placed or it can't. There's not really any choice.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3D Action Game. 1994, Waddingtons

QS47UWK.jpg

This one tries to capture the gameplay of Sonic. Spin the spinner, move the amount of spaces and collect rings. If you get hit by an enemy, you lose all rings - get hit when you haven one, lose a life. Once you get around the bottom, you use the flipper and have to land on the second level, move around there, past Robotnik (if the spinner lands on the space you're on, you die. Simple, but actually kind of fun. I did look into making a Tabletop Simulator, but the flipper part of it can't be done well.

Sonic X Trading Card Game. 2005, Score Entertainment

0V3dLab.jpg

Build a deck of 30 cards, try to make them work together to earn rings to win chaos emeralds. This didn't really take off, and the starter pack features all the cards (other than some promo cards with alternate artwork). It's an interesting game, but some decks can be massively better than others. The cards are in Tabletop Simulator.

Monopoly: Sonic the Hedgehog Collector’s Edition. 2013, Hasbro

O8xojNl.jpg

Most versions of Monopoly are the game game with different pictures. This is no exception. Monopoly is one of the worst board games out there, with terrible roll to move and player elimination mechanics. 

Memory Challenge: Sonic the Hedgehog Edition. 2013, USAopoly

CzKy3va.jpg

The game memory or "Pairs". Match the Sonic characters. This features Chaos Emeralds which have special powers (like look at some cards, steal a pair off another player and protecting yourself).

Monopoly: Sonic Boom. 2015, Hasbro

3LDCklP.jpg

Another Monopoly, this time based on Sonic Boom.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Battle Racers. 2018, Shinobi 7

nS20hAN.jpg

One of the more in-depth Sonic games. Your score is based not just on getting to the end first, but also collecting rings and defeating badniks. Your can race against other people or against bosses. The rules aren't written very well, but once you figure them out, it's a really fun game.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Crash Course. 2018, IDW Games

N93YKCT.jpg

A simpler racing game. I've not gotten round to playing it, but I do have a copy. It does sound pretty decent from reading the rules.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Dice Rush. 2019, IDW Games

kqWUHty.jpg

A sort of speed Yhatzee. There are cards in the middle with requirements (2 pair, 4 straight, etc) and you quickly reroll your dice until you can get one, then quickly take the card before anyone else can. It's a really fun little game.

Monopoly Gamer: Sonic The Hedgehog. 2019, Hasbro

Vi5RXIr.jpg

This isn't just regular Monopoly. It's a much better (and quicker) version and even has a boss fight at the end.

Sonic: The Card Game. 2021, Steamforged Games Ltd.

DpMyzTb.jpg

This is a shameless rip-off of another board games that goes by the name "Diamant" or "Incan Gold" (it doesn't credit the original designers). You progress through a dungeon. Before each card is flipped, you choose if you want to continue or leave. Everyone leaving shares the rings already revealed. If two of the same enemy is revealed, then anyone still remining will get nothing. It's a good game, but the non-Sonic versions are better.

UNO: Sonic The Hedgehog. 2022, Mattel

8DF7Be8.jpg

Uno with pictures of Sonic character. It features an extra card which causes all other players to pick up a card.

Sonic The Hedgehog: Super Spinners Plus. 2022, Plus Supermarket

AznZvBa.jpg

A Beyblade-like spinner game only available in a Dutch supermarket.

Sonic Battle: The Search for the Chaos Emeralds. 2002, Kohadu

LFIssqs.jpg

This one seems to be only available in the UK. I have a copy, but haven't gotten round to playing it yet. It sounds simple, but might surprise me. 

Sonic Super Teams. 2022, Zygomatic

2oRK7yc.jpg

I've got this one order. Looks like a cute little game, with card-based racing. 

Have you played any of the newer Sonic games, or do you remember any of the old ones? And are there any that I've missed?

(I wasn't sure if this should be in Games or Merchandise, so sorry if I've picked the wrong one)

• Thumbs Up 2

I own a... surprising amount of these and some others, and kept meaning to do some articles/videos of them if not for the pandemic.

If there's a request for anything specific (scans, opinions, video, etc...) let me know, and I'll be happy to oblige.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do remember having a card game that had a lot of 2000's Sonic Channel art. I think Battle Racers actually came out in 2019, though? It's neat that it included Sticks despite coming out awhile after Boom had ended, and even Infinite, who hadn't appeared in anything else after Forces at that point.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, GX -The Spindash- said:

I own a... surprising amount of these and some others, and kept meaning to do some articles/videos of them if not for the pandemic.

I'd love to know if there's any that I haven't mentioned.

I backed battle racers. It's a favorite of mine. Love the varity of characters. Sadly most of that cast is kickstarter exclusive. 

On 2/21/2023 at 4:55 AM, Cube said:

I'd love to know if there's any that I haven't mentioned.

Not many more, but there are some weird odds and ends, some I've collected and others I've been trying to justify the import costs.

Stuff like officially licensed POGs, micro-board games from Carl's Jr. and McDonalds, a European (German?) chess set, weird collections of traditional board games but decorated with standard stock art, poker decks, Top Trumps deck, and a handful of mechanical toys.

• Thumbs Up 1