Awoo.

How COULD Sonic Die

Annie-Mae

OK, lets say there will be Spoilers in this topic if you havn't played Sonic 06 yet. This topic is also made in humor, so there is no serious answer to this question.

So Meph killed Sonic by shooting a pretty impressive beam into his back, and according to the game, Sonic died. Everyone cried. Disregarding the fact that his true loves kiss brought him back, how could that beam kill him when being shot by bullets, hit by lasers, set on fire, sucked into a void, eaten by whales, have his skull crushed by a falling bolder, and being impaled by spikes couldn't kill him?

The rules of the game imply that if Sonic has at least ONE ring, he can survive anything but a fall to his death, being crushed, or drowning. Even then, he's usually got more then one video game life to fall back on, and EVEN THEN, he's got continues or can return back to the save point.

So how is the game's plot expected us to truly believe he is dead? I just spent 17 lives getting through this mach speed session, and Mephilies can just shoot him in the back and Sonic's dead for reals? Forget the fact that Meph's just trying to get Princess What's Her Face to cry, it's still a hard fact to swallow, leaving the kiss of life bit just cliched.

So anyway, what are your opinions about this, and how COULD Sonic be killed for reals? Is it like a werewolf thing, where only special beams of purple smoke and evil shot in his back will kill him? He must've died, of a broken heart...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Annie-Mae

• SuperLink

• doubl_N

• Blazey Firekitty

Scorch Posted Today, 10:28 AM

Maybe he didn't have any rings on him at the time.

No rings and that was his last life, even so, why couldn't he go back to the last save point with a continue? The game has no limited continues. The whole event could just repeat it's self over and over again until Sonic remembered he needed to look behind him because there's a guy trying to shoot him, while he has no lives and no rings.

Edited by Annie-Mae

The rules of the game
The rules of gameplay, you mean. And that was a cutscene, so it doesn't count.

Plus you admit that there are ways to kill Sonic even if he has rings. So, this could just be one of them.

Best answer tho', is what Scorch said. Your rings get taken away after you beat a stage or boss, and Sonic hadn't collected any more since the last one.

The rules of gameplay, you mean. And that was a cutscene, so it doesn't count.

Plus you admit that there are ways to kill Sonic even if he has rings. So, this could just be one of them.

Best answer tho', is what Scorch said. Your rings get taken away after you beat a stage or boss, and Sonic hadn't collected any more since the last one.

So Meph suffocated him? I didn't hear the drowning song. So she wasn't kissing him she was giving him mouth to mouth. XD

Sonic's not a Gary-Stu, he's the main character! I'm pretty sure they're exempt from the Mary-Sue rule most of the time, mainly because main characters are nearly always amazingly above the rest of the cast. ;)

Anyway, I think Sonic died because stupid Elise popped his personal bubble. :(

I think it's also a little unfair that you struggle through the whole game, and die so many times, cutscene or not, to get to that point and just have Meph come up from behind and pop Sonic off so easily.

Lets think of other games, Black Knight had Sonic being beaten bloody too. What are your opinions about that?

He got hit with a LAZZOR through the heart. I don't think any character could survive that.

I dunno, Mephiles struck Sonic in a place that is particularly dangerous to get injured. And I always got the impression that possibly the weakest part of Sonic's body next to his arms is his stomach. Emerl hit him with enough force in the stomach in Sonic X that felled him almost instantly. It's a possible nod to real life Hedgehog's stomachs being soft and easy to injure, hence why the creature curls into a ball to conceal it's stomach and hence perhaps why it's easy to hurt Sonic badly by hitting his stomach. His defense could have been totally smashed when Meph killed him by impaling his stomach, resulting in particularly and especially lethal results.

Aside from that, it's not like they could have had Meph murder Sonic any other way. It is a fairly gruesome way to die, being impaled though the back and stomach but arguably killing him by head injury or other methods would be more graphic. The game seems to lessen the visceral impact of Sonic's injuries with camera angles and his hand(s) always concealing his stomach. Injury is definately implied but never outright shown.

As for SatBK, Sonic is usually depicted as being innately extremely resilient. Sure he got roughed up but he put up with the kinds of beatings that would have killed most others instantly. He might look scrawny and such but that's no obvious showing of how excellent his resilience is to non-penetrating injury, no matter how impossible it is logically for him to be like that. It's not supposed to make sense :)

Edited by Verte

Mephiles is supposed to be a really powerful character... Shadow could never manage to beat him even using all his Chaos powers and all. It's not that surprising. Even so, yeah, a laser right through the chest would hurt a lot still, though it was a pretty cheap shot.

You know when people give the stupid response of "It's just a game!" ... This topic kind of needs the opposite response, but I can't think what that would be.

I just hated the way the characters reacted to Sonic's death. Ok Amy did cry and everyone lowered their head and Knuckles went a bit...weird, but it should've had SO much more of an emotional impact. .__. When I saw this cutscene, I just found it too rushed, I never got to feel emotional and stuff.

That's exactly it, Sonic's death was rushed. And just...ridiculous. All you have to do is stand behind him and shoot something at his back? WOW.

It's easy to off someone when they don't expect it. You can easily knock someone out by punching them when they are off guard... Imagine stabbing someone through the back.

The whole point of the game was to discuss... WHAT IF Sonic were real? Obviously, Sonic (or any other fucker without hectic armour plating) would not survive a deadly light beam through his spinal column, through his chest and presumably through his heart.... fucker buried!

As for how the show was handled, it's partly to blame on the VA's... there was no real sense of desperation in their voices blah blah blah (Amy's crying fit actually made me lol rather than feel). That and the in-game graphics engine was a shitty way to handle that scene when it was supposed to hold epic emotional impact, they chose to convey it visually with some choppy crappy in games engine when pre-rendered CGI would have done it quite masterfully.

Director/Lead Game Designer is to blame in other words.

Anyways, he isn't going to die anytime soon. Not until the games start selling poorly anyways.

He got hit with a LAZZOR through the heart. I don't think any character could survive that.

Haha, you win.

You know when people give the stupid response of "It's just a game!" ... This topic kind of needs the opposite response, but I can't think what that would be.

Ah yeah, it doesn't make this topic as fun when people say it's just a game. I think the crazier the reason the better.

Like the only way to kill Sonic is to shoot him 100,000 times, burn him to ashes, toss him into a meat grinder feed it to a dog, kill the dog, toss the dog into space and send it to a black hole...Then Sonic is officially dead. XD

Aside from that, it's not like they could have had Meph murder Sonic any other way. It is a fairly gruesome way to die, being impaled though the back and stomach but arguably killing him by head injury or other methods would be more graphic. The game seems to lessen the visceral impact of Sonic's injuries with camera angles and his hand(s) always concealing his stomach. Injury is definately implied but never outright shown.

That's a good point to make too, but when Sonic gets hurt, he spews rings instead of blood. But yeah, how do you show a painful life ending death without it being gory?

1) All of Sonic's insides where transported to another dimension, so he fell over it was because he was literally nothing but skin and bones.

2) Meph could've made him explode or implode, so that there was no gore left to show (except his two shoes standing where he was with little smoke coming out of them :lol: ). In the end, Elise does feel that his spirit is still 'floating' around somewhere and they need the emeralds to bring him back, and when they do that he gains all his molecules back to form into Super Sonic. They could've done that but they wanted the two of them to kiss in the Snow White method. What they should've done was have Sonic kiss Elise and, while they're smooching, Meph shoots him and he explodes, and that makes her cry.

Edited by Annie-Mae

I just hated the way the characters reacted to Sonic's death. Ok Amy did cry and everyone lowered their head and Knuckles went a bit...weird, but it should've had SO much more of an emotional impact. .__. When I saw this cutscene, I just found it too rushed, I never got to feel emotional and stuff.

That's exactly it, Sonic's death was rushed. And just...ridiculous. All you have to do is stand behind him and shoot something at his back? WOW.

Haha to further prove your point I completely forgot that Sonic even died in the game. XD I might have to rewatch that scene later today, relive the glorious moments once again. :rolleyes: That and I wanna now know how Knuckles reacted.

When he used to get hit he would loose ALL his rings. Now he has the abillity to hold onto some when he gets hit. The machine gun robots from 06 annoyed the hell out of me because you would lose 1 ring for every time they hit you and you weren't invincible after that, so if you had a low number of rings, bye bye.

Mabey that's what happend with Meph.

Or possibly he blocked Sonics wind pipe, causing him to suffocate.

Take your pic.

Edited by BlueFox

Sonic lost his virginity through Meph's phallic like Beam and died from the trauma. Yup.

Well I guess it's good then in the long run, better Mephiles than Elise. Surely would have given Sonic a heart attack. Elise may be a furfag but I doubt Sonic is a skinfag.

Sonic lost his virginity through Meph's phallic like Beam and died from the trauma. Yup.

This. Best reason ever.

Really though, yeah, laser through the chest. And it could've been like those lasers from Sonic Rush in Altitude Limit that kill you in one hit. I don't know, but I don't really care. :P

He was distracted by a shiny thing (purple chaos emerald) dropping his guard and erm.... all his rings! therefore he died :P

Thats it! its the purple emeralds fault!!

Not only did it blind sonic for a moment but it also drained his rings, remove the temporary invinsibility after loosing the rings and made him unable to defend himself from anything!!

Blame the purple gem before anything else!!

I don't remember a purple emerald in that scene... Is that just a metaphor for Elise's rack or what?

I don't remember a purple emerald in that scene... Is that just a metaphor for Elise's rack or what?

In the cut scene the purple emerald (Mephiles' emerald if you will) appears out of nowhere and Sonic and Elise become stunned by its shinyness leaving him wide open for a chaos stabbing.

You could look it up on Youtube if you wanted to.