Awoo.

Shadow's love life

Teoleulbogo

It seems no matter where I go some fan girl is trying to pair Shadow with some other character like Amy, Blaze, Maria, and even SONIC!!! I just wanna know what you think. Does Shadow need a love interest? Who should it be? and could Sega reely pull it off with out ruining Shadow's character(any more than Black Doom already has)?

just to clarify I didn't say Shadow love interest had to be chosen from my lis of examples.

also, while I don't like the idea of Shadow being in love, if I had to choose for some reason my mind alwayse seems to move to Blaze

Edited by metal madness

It seems no matter where I go some fan girl is trying to pair Shadow with some other character like Amy, Blaze, Maria, and even SONIC!!! I just wanna know what you think. Does Shadow need a love interest? Who should it be? and could Sega reely pull it off with out ruining Shadow's character(any more than Black Doom already has)?

What does he need a love interest for?

Amy is a fan-based choice. She's always been after Sonic and just can't compare with her.

I don't think that Blaze is really into any of the other guys. She's too determined and serious. She's just another fan-based choice.

Maria. She's a dead girl. Shadow needs to move on. B)

Sonic. That's wonderful, I think SEGA might actually do that! I always knew that they were the curious type.

I don't think Shadow needs a love interest. At least not with these characters. SEGA would have to make a more fitting character.

Nothing wrong with fan-pairings. Nothing at all. And I kinda raise my eyebrow at the fact that you bolded, capitalised and followed with three exclamation points Sonic's name. As if that was somehow any more unlikely or uncanonical or terrible than any of the other choices (barring Maria who, while I'm sure is just his good friend, has more proof about her than any other character, given Shadow's infatuation with her).

Not that I would ever pair Sonic with Shadow myself, ugh. But fans who do, it's no crazier than any other fan-pairing. And there's no harm in that unless you're trying to argue that it's canonically represented.

Canonically, I prefer romance to be left well alone where possible. Leaving room for speculation is half the fun, which is why I'm glad the Sonic and Amy thing is still unresolved and hopefully will never BE resolved.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow/Shade OTP. Let's see the shippers portmonteau those suckers.

Really, though, I don't personally see Shadow as the sort of person who wants or needs a love interest. I'll get a smile out of the occasional piece of fan art, but officially I think his love life should be left well enough alone. Besides, any relationship involving Shadow would be bound to be a fairly serious one, and I don't think that suits the series very well. If he was paired up with a hyperactive Marine-like character or something and it was played for awkward comedy, I don't think I'd have a problem.

which is why I'm glad the Sonic and Amy thing is still unresolved and hopefully will never BE resolved.

Surely Amy will eventually realize the truth: That the greatest love of all is to love herself.

Thus, she will marry Bizarro Amy from Backwards Land, and the question of Sonic's sexuality will remain forever a mystery.:D

As for Shads, I figure if he had a love interest, it would be Rouge. There seems to be about as much evidence for her being in love with Shadow as there is for her loving Knuckles.

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

Agreed with Shade as a possible, but she's very much a blank slate right now. I don't see anyone in the series being a fitting pair with Shadow. I think he needs to learn some emotions aside from his default brooding and serious before he opens up to anyone like that. He seems like a strictly business guy, even with his female friend Rouge. Or what about Omega. "I LOVE YOU MY ARTIFICIAL MEATBAG, THOUGH I WAS PROGRAMMED FOR YOUR DESTRUCTION. MY EMOTIONAL MATRIX IS CONFLICTED." Maybe there was more to that Chronicles sidequest. :lol:

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Shadow needs a love interest but Shadow/Tikal is an oddly popular pairing. I once knew a large group of fangirls who all shipped Shadow/Tikal. Each of them had a variety of odd pairings (like Marine/Espio) but all of them shipped Shadow/Tikal.

EggmanXEggman Nega is my official pairing.

For Shadow though, I don't think he needs someone. I think he's the guy who might be liked but doesn't like back, something may have happened between him and Maria, but she's dead, he now will go out where duty calls for him on a world he has grown to appreciate after originally wanting to destroy it.

I agree with most the people who posted here: Shadow really doesn't need a love interest. I like to think of Shadow as a loner- not letting anyone but a few close friends near.

Let's go through the options, shall we?

Amy- Most likely not. She's way too into Sonic.

Blaze- Blaze seems a bit too serious for a major love life, and it's not likely they will ever meet/become friends.

Maria- I like to think this was a brother-sister relationship. Besides, she's somewhat dead, which would make it very akward...

Rouge- Probably the most likely, although she's already been confirmed as Knuckle's main love interest.

Shade- We really don't know much about her...

Tikal- No, sorry, she's not coming back anyway it seems...

Cream- Just no. Please no.

[Also, first post on SSMB in a long time. It's good to be back]

Oh boy, a shipping thread! :3

From what we've seen, Shadow isn't really one to get in a close relationship with anybody since Maria's death, and he doesn't even seem to socialize with his poker buddies Rouge and Omega often unless he crosses paths with them on a mission of some sort (whether it be self-imposed or otherwise). Why, even when he does meet up with his acquaintances, he really doesn't bother being friendly with them - even if both Rouge and Omega have both displayed general concern for his well being, and have been nothing but friendly with Shadow since becoming Team Dark. (Ahem. Even though Omega captured Shadow in the alternate future from Sonic the Hedgehog, his present-day self appeared to be very apologetic about the whole ordeal.)

Now, to set focus on the primary relationship with the most canon evidence to back it up...

Shadow x Rouge

Although they might be classifiable as being "friends", Shadow doesn't really show any intent for a romantic friendship with Rouge. Shadow has spent more time with Rouge than anybody since his re-awakening in Sonic Adventure 2, and although they've gone through a lot of stuff together, he just doesn't appear to be interested to be in a passionate relationship with her. Sure, he cares about her to an extent - but just not in that way.

From Rouge's perspective, although she does consider Shadow to be a close friend as well, she explicitly states that she's not interested in getting into an intimate relationship with anybody in Sonic Battle:

Rouge: Boy, this is ridiculous. That's why I'm only interested in jewelry. I'd

never want to be a "mom" like that girl.

Still, that doesn't mean she can't have buddies. Or flirt, for that matter.

Edited by HunterTSF

Oh come on, we all know that out of the non-Maria characters in the series, Omega is the one Shadow loves the most by far, as became ever so evident in Chronicles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh come on, we all know that out of the non-Maria characters in the series, Omega is the one Shadow loves the most by far, as became ever so evident in Chronicles.

Well Omega is voiced by a women...

Now I support ShadowXOmega. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadeow (Shade-oh).

Shadow doesn't "need" a relationship, but of all the characters, he'd probably benefit most from having one. I think every character needs someone they can talk to, if only so the viewer can see into their mind a bit. Characters like Sonic are fine, as even if he wasn't already surrounded by friends, he's outgoing enough that he talks openly with pretty much everyone. Shadow, on the other hand, is very reserved, even with his "friends". Having him form a deeper bond with someone (most likely Rouge, I'd guess) would give him someone he could be more open with, at least to the point of having a normal conversation with instead of being Mr. Frowny all the time.

That said, it doesn't need to be a romantic relationship that does this. It just needs to be someone who can pierce through the walls (internal and external) that separate him from the other characters. For example, Eggman's at his best when he has someone to talk to; the E-series in SA, Shadow and Rouge in SA2, Ergo in Unleashed. They aren't romantic relationships, but they still break through the barriers because they're on his side (nominally, at least).

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing wrong with fan-pairings. Nothing at all. And I kinda raise my eyebrow at the fact that you bolded, capitalised and followed with three exclamation points Sonic's name. As if that was somehow any more unlikely or uncanonical or terrible than any of the other choices (barring Maria who, while I'm sure is just his good friend, has more proof about her than any other character, given Shadow's infatuation with her).

Not that I would ever pair Sonic with Shadow myself, ugh. But fans who do, it's no crazier than any other fan-pairing. And there's no harm in that unless you're trying to argue that it's canonically represented.

Canonically, I prefer romance to be left well alone where possible. Leaving room for speculation is half the fun, which is why I'm glad the Sonic and Amy thing is still unresolved and hopefully will never BE resolved.

It is actually more unlikely, if not just for the fact that gays are a minority. So if you take it purely on chances alone then it's more likely he is straight. also I don't think he needs a pairing.

It is actually more unlikely, if not just for the fact that gays are a minority. So if you take it purely on chances alone then it's more likely he is straight. also I don't think he needs a pairing.

I don't see how it's any more likely than some of the other suggestions; especially Amy. Pretty much most fan-pairings are equally unlikely. I think Sonic's name was just bolded for the shock factor, which is really quite silly. Sonic/Shadow is actually one of the most popular pairings out there, so it's hardly startling to hear that people support it.

I really think that(Especially after reading Diogenes' thoughts) constructing stronger platonic friendships between the characters is a bigger priority than pairing them up. A romantic relationship that does not have a strong friendship behind it doesn't have any context, anyway. You need to set a foundation before you can build something.

I don't see how it's any more likely than some of the other suggestions; especially Amy. Pretty much most fan-pairings are equally unlikely. I think Sonic's name was just bolded for the shock factor, which is really quite silly. Sonic/Shadow is actually one of the most popular pairings out there, so it's hardly startling to hear that people support it.

I'm just basing it on statistics, chances are good that Shadow is straight, which makes it more like to go after one of the female characters as opposed to a male. If people want to make gay fan pairing or straight fan pairings I could care less, I don't pay attention to it. I do understand why people would put the shock emphasis on the sonic/shadow. Considering their has been no indication of either being gay, or even liking each other. If Sonic were gay he would be more likely to pair with Tails, just by judging character relationships.

P.S. I put that I understand why, but that doesn't mean I would do the same thing.

I'm just basing it on statistics, chances are good that Shadow is straight, which makes it more like to go after one of the female characters as opposed to a male. If people want to make gay fan pairing or straight fan pairings I could care less, I don't pay attention to it. I do understand why people would put the shock emphasis on the sonic/shadow. Considering their has been no indication of either being gay, or even liking each other. If Sonic were gay he would be more likely to pair with Tails, just by judging character relationships.

P.S. I put that I understand why, but that doesn't mean I would do the same thing.

I don't personally find anything shocking about the desire to place Sonic with Shadow, given that pairing heroes with their rivals seems to be popular.

Though, by that logic, Sonic x Knuckles should be pretty popular as well.XD

I wouldn't pair Sonic and Shadow because the two are more likely to be smashing each other down. Omega, you guys. They're both artificial killing machines, they understand each other more than anyone else.

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf

It used to be a lot more popular (Sonic/Knuckles) before Shadow came along. The whole rivals = lust logic, which makes no sense to me, but eh. Loads of people like that sort of thing.

It used to be a lot more popular (Sonic/Knuckles) before Shadow came along. The whole rivals = lust logic, which makes no sense to me, but eh. Loads of people like that sort of thing.

I think it could be that people view a heated anger towards someone as sexual/emotional repression. Like, the same logic behind the Ash and Misty paring in Pokemon: "The more they fight, the more they care."

Misty actually does openly have feelings for Ash, though, and is more friend than rival. I think Ash/Gary shipping is probably a closer analogy ^^;;

Misty actually does openly have feelings for Ash, though, and is more friend than rival. I think Ash/Gary shipping is probably a closer analogy ^^;;

Oh yeah, good point.XD

Though, the thought of Shadow wearing suspenders and yelling at Sonic for being a dense blockhead is still pretty funny.XD

Sonic isn't the kind of series that ought to deal with any romantic issues whatsoever. If I want my pairing fix, I'll go to a series with better character dynamic and actually incorporates elements of love in its story. Every fandom has its share of shipping, and there are couples that I am rather fond of in certain other series that I like, but if any pairing becomes official in the Sonic series, I will scream - good thing it ever won't!

Anyway, I think Shadow should hook up with Espio.

I think the ambiguity, the loose characterization and the series' obvious lack of focus on most things romantic is actually a draw to a lot of people when it comes to shipping. You wouldn't believe the amount of romance fiction there was for Dragonball Z back in the day, for example, a series where the actual author was terrified of including romance. The best place to fill in the gaps, I guess, is where the most gaps exist in the first place.

Officially, I doubt there's much to worry about. Teasing's just too much fun for the developers to ever stop doing. I'd be in full support of official Shadow/Espio if it happened, though. :P

• Thumbs Up 1