Awoo.

This Sonic Frontiers "Uekawa" Mod is Incredible

Indigo Rush

I don't think I've ever made a topic about a mod for a game before, but I think this is worth some attention. It's just incredibly cool and shows off what's possible with current day tools and technology. 

Basically what we have here is the iconic 2D art from the Adventure era of Sonic games brought to life in Sonic Frontiers. There's some room for improvement, the game obviously wasn't designed with this in mind so Sonic sticks out like a sore thumb against the drab backdrop, but I think a case can be made for an entire game that looks like this. 

Spoiler

The world is now ready for Sonic Adventure 3

Mod can be found here.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 2

This looks incredible! He does clash with the rest of the game though. The sorta-cell shaded style reminds me of the viewtiful Joe games. Now I'm drooling over what a full game would look like in uekawa style.😱

• Thumbs Up 1

That bright yellow in the Cyber Space stage is a bit much, but I love how stylish Sonic looks throughout!

I want a whole goddamn game with the characters and backgrounds stylized like this and I want it RIGHT NOW.

• Thumbs Up 3

As cool as it is, I personally don't like it when Sonic models have a permanent spray-painted drawn smirk.  IDK, always 'breaks immersion' for me, so to say. Especially during cutscenes when characters are talking and the mouth is just a permasmirk.

I like it! Sure it has problems and the single facial expression thing, but still, it looks very cool and similar to the 2D artworks of the early 2000s. It's a bit weird that Sonic looks like he's made of metal, but if all the world was made with that art style probably it would be harder to see.

What I don't really like is how it looks on Super Sonic, but I think it's more that the mod is designed for regular Sonic and would need some tweaks to work well on Super too.

Overall a very nice proof of concept, would be great to get a new 3D game with that art style.

This skin goes so hard. Would also love to see a new Sonic game in this style.

Can't wait to take some cool photos with this when photo mode drops. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna be honest with you. I think this looks amazing as is because I'm getting some real "Roger Rabbit" vibes from the footage.

Honestly the cel-shading alone is spiffy. I saw a Toei Sonic mod that was also cel-shaded.

Wish his facial expressions worked, though.