Awoo.

The Illustration Department interview with Patrick Spaziante

Zaysho

I rarely ever make topics but this was something I just needed to share.

Spaz is a pretty difficult person to fully find info on because he doesn't have an online presence. I've only seen some short interviews on places like Sonic HQ or little blurbs he's shared in editors' notes in whatever side book Archie has published. I was aware for years he moved into children's books, but even then I couldn't find anything beyond what publishers had to share. I was really surprised to find a nearly hour long audio interview with him that was conducted last year.

https://illustrationdept.com/podcast/giuseppe-castellano-talks-to-patrick-spaziante

It gives a nice glimpse at his career starting out, his work as a "copy artist" and how he went into children's illustration. It doesn't dwell very much on his time with Sonic, but if you grew up with the Archie Sonic book and were a fan of his the tons of covers he did for that series or Mega Man, then it's still worth listening just to hear what he's up to these days.

I would've done a more detailed breakdown but I was drawing while listening so lol

• Thumbs Up 6

His Archie covers back in the day absolutely defined the look of Sonic for me growing up, I'm excited to read this interview.

Spoiler

image.png.44226fdf31ca8b01014a71c86be7117e.png

His big ol' head ❤️

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, that dude was THE Sonic artist on the book growing up other than Art Mawhinney who had done art for the actual SatAM series.  I always looked forward to seeing his art.

• Thumbs Up 1