Awoo.

Too many Hedgehogs?

S0NIC-Keyblade 007

In my opinion, yes, yes there are too many hedgehogs.

There's Sonic, who in the beggining was original, afterall popular creatures used in cartoon/game mediums tended to be your mainstream sort of animals, ie: dogs, cats, mice. Who had really heard of a hedgehog in popular media? Then they went one step awesome-r and gave what is an inherently slow animal super speed - an edgy character was born.

~So of course, as time went by, the hero would need a love interest, or in Sonic's case a love obsessession for him to avoid. Amy came along and filled the role of first female character and the clique' love interest - but the Sonic series being as unique as it was put a new twist on the "love interest" angle, instead choosing the route of unrequited love on the hero's part. Thus Amy was born.

Metal Sonic while not techinacally an actual hedgehog filled the first role of rival, in speed and in direct opposition to all Sonic was. Metalic to his organic, Evil to his good. Metal Sonic showed us that Robotnik knew he had to create a Sonic to beat Sonic. Metal Sonic fills the evil doppleganger role.

Fast forward some and we got Shadow. Shadow essentially looked to fill the role Metal Sonic already had, but talked up and made to look "badass" for appeal. He essentially became the new age "dark" reflection of Sonic, for the fans who liked Sonic, but wanted someone less happy-go-lucky, a dark and badass persona.

Shadow is were I start to think they were filling the need for hedgehogs and should've stopped.

Then we got Silver. As much as I bad-mouth the character, I like him. For me though I'd like him alot more had he not been a hedgehog. They really should've gone with the mink idea. To me with each hedgehog they create it lessens the previous (and especially Sonic's) uniqueness. Not too mention every hedgehog seems to have the ability to go into a super form which is yellow and their eyes turn red. To me this makes Sonic's coolness seem to wane in comparison, especially when these new hedgehogs (super form or not) have way more abilities than Sonic, yet seem to have all his virtues as well.

It really does seem like a complete cop out. There are many many options they could go with instead of adding hedgehog after hedgehog, the cast will just get more boring because as people have pointed out, though there may be other species in the series, we don't see much of them do we. How much quality screen time has Tails or Knuckles had in the past lets say..5 years of the series? Now think about how much Shadow or even newcomer Silver has had - playable roles, their own game, even more focus in the games that should have been focused on Sonic!

The Babylon Rogues were really cool because they were a fresh new look, a new species that didn't feel like they were just recolours thought up by a lazy team of game designers. The Chaotix probably wouldn't be as cool as they are if they were all the same animal, it's variety that makes them!

I think the time for hedgehogs is over. Be happy with what you have Sonic Team. Learn that the series name is Sonic the hedgehog, not [insert new hedgehog character] the hedgehog, be respectful and don't shoehorn more hedgehogs in because they lessen the standing of the already existing hedgehogs.

I personaly don't want anymore new characters period. The series is already cluttered as is, but more hedgehog would just make it feel even cheaper. They need to develop and respect the characters they already have before adding any new ones. For me I believe if they feel they really really have to put more new faces into the game, I'd like it if they re-used oldies like Nack, Bean and Bark, rather than make some lame look-a-like hedgehog.

Also if we are getting super techincal with the numbers, people are forgetting:

Silver Sonic

Mecha Sonic (Sonic3 &Knuckles)

Metal Sonic 3.0 (Sonic Rivals2)

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

How much quality screen time has Tails or Knuckles had in the past lets say..5 years of the series? Now think about how much Shadow or even newcomer Silver has had - playable roles, their own game, even more focus in the games that should have been focused on Sonic!

Oh no, son. This part right here is definitely not going to slide by here.

You're actually giving Tails and Knuckles less credit than they should have.

Tails and Knuckles have both been given a fair amount of screen in the past 5 years and even before that during the time Shadow came in. They've both had roles in the Storybook games, they've both had screen time in Sonic 06 (even though Knuckles did very little in the game), playable roles in almost all the games they've been introduced, and since the day the were introduced into the series they've had more for them even before Shadow and Silver came into the fray.

Even if Shadow and Silver get a little more today, they still can't outdo what Tails and Knuckles have overall since they came in at an earlier date.

With that said, there are some things you are really stretching. Silver has yet to get his own game (and there isn't very much that points to him getting one despite what one of the developers said during the time Sonic 06 was released), Tails and Knuckles both had games of their own in the past, and neither Shadow nor Silver have been given more focus than Sonic unless in the case of Shadow, the game was designed for them as the lead character. Aside from that, it's all been on Sonic since day one, despite how much we delve into other character's past (and if anything we might as well include Knuckles as a character stealing the focus as SA1 was more so his story and history than Sonic's if we were to go deep).

I can understand the bout with the hedgehogs, but I'm not one who lets someone downplay any of the characters in order to victimize them as more deserving of something they didn't get.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

The problem with having a lot of characters isn't purely the number, but the quality. These days a lot of characters (new and old) have been poorly written, unnecessary, and/or unlikable. And I don't think it helps that the fanbase's first reaction is to shun anything new, rejecting characters before they even have a chance to prove themselves.

As for hedgehogs in particular, my main problem is that treating hedgehog characters as "safe" (which is apparently what they did with Silver) means we're less likely to see more interesting creatures as characters. If they couldn't even bring themselves to make Silver a mink, I don't see how we're going to get characters with species and designs as unique as, say, the Chaotix.

This.

Many of the (new or old) chars have been poorly written, lack char development, unlikable, unnecessary and etc. Also, they would become throw away chars if ST doesn't have any good use for them, and new ones are just a marketing ploy to make a game sound and look interesting to boost sales even if they're heavily cliche and recolored and just used as a plot device with little significance to the story/game as a whole.

As for hedgehogs, I do think they're many of them and I don't mind, just they need interesting depth and development to their char. I might probably will if there are more than 10 of them, that's just going overboard. But I do hope ST would be able to use species we haven't seen. Yet if they continue keeping it 'safe' then all hope for finally getting unique looking chars will probably fly out the window.

Oh no, son. This part right here is definitely not going to slide by here.

You're actually giving Tails and Knuckles less credit than they should have.

Tails and Knuckles have both been given a fair amount of screen in the past 5 years and even before that during the time Shadow came in. They've both had roles in the Storybook games, they've both had screen time in Sonic 06 (even though Knuckles did very little in the game), playable roles in almost all the games they've been introduced, and since the day the were introduced into the series they've had more for them even before Shadow and Silver came into the fray.

Even if Shadow and Silver get a little more today, they still can't outdo what Tails and Knuckles have overall since they came in at an earlier date.

With that said, there are some things you are really stretching. Silver has yet to get his own game (and there isn't very much that points to him getting one despite what one of the developers said during the time Sonic 06 was released), Tails and Knuckles both had games of their own in the past, and neither Shadow nor Silver have been given more focus than Sonic unless in the case of Shadow, the game was designed for them as the lead character. Aside from that, it's all been on Sonic since day one, despite how much we delve into other character's past (and if anything we might as well include Knuckles as a character stealing the focus as SA1 was more so his story and history than Sonic's if we were to go deep).

I can understand the bout with the hedgehogs, but I'm not one who lets someone downplay any of the characters in order to victimize them as more deserving of something they didn't get.

That is why I used the word quality in quality screen time. The point is that Tails and Knuckles have suffered in favor of attention to these new characters, nobody can deny that. Hell Sonic himself has suffered, the whole cast has suffered. It seems everytime a new character comes along all the focus and thought go into beefing up their character while the remaining cast get the bare minimum.

You can't tell me that Tails and Knuckles "amigo" roles in Sth'06 are at all comparable to Shadow's or Silvers? That they had great lines or impact on the storyline at all?

And the storybook games? Pff I hardly consider these Sonic games at all, at best they are Sonic having a dream in which characters from the stories look like people he knows, but don't act like them. I hardly count this as being a great amount of game time for Knuckles or Tails.

I'm talking about playable roles, being a part of the storyline that isn't just "Hey Eggman wanted me to give you this letter so now I'm here"

And I wasn't stretching anything. I know Silver hasn't had his own game, I was collectively stating that both Shadow and Silver have had large roles, both playable and story wise, and that a whole game was dedicated to one of them (Shadow of course <_< )

But this is really sidetracking from the main point - hedgehogs get too much attention. Make less of them, take the focus off of them besides Sonic, and put some effort into the rest of the cast of other species that get neglected.

Also STOP ADDING NEW CHARACTERS, no more hedgehogs please, and no more generating 3 characters per new game..it all steals the focus away from Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

the whole cast has suffered.
You ever wonder if that might just be because of crappy writing? New characters aren't in any way responsible for half the shit that's been piled onto the cast, and the other half could've been avoided if they could write worth a damn.

You can't tell me that Tails and Knuckles "amigo" roles in Sth'06 are at all comparable to Shadow's or Silvers? That they had great lines or impact on the storyline at all?
No.

But why should they have been?

I do not hate Silver, I like the idea of a telekinesis user. But I do agree that bringing a new hedgehog would be bad, really bad.

My But I don't think being a hedgehog was the problem (yes, the bashing started way before the game was released, but it could have stopped.) more than how SEGA tried to shove him down our throats trying to make us think he was as cool as the blue blur who holds the same of the franchise and the black hedgehog who won the heart of millions of fangirls. How can you compete against that in your FIRST appearance?! SEGA tried to bring Silver to the same status Sonic and Shadow are, but that's impossible 'cause Sonic and Shadow had a lot of time to develop while Silver was just a newcomer. I think that with a smaller spotlight, he shines more than when they try to put him on the same level as Sonic. Of course, that whole thing would actually work if they could have give us a better and fresher personality for the character, but sadly SEGA went lazy and give us a very flat actitude.

when If you try to introduce a new character you can't just put him there and claim that he is as cool as the main character UNLESS you develop him/her properly. That's actually a reason why Blaze was better welcomed. Let me give you an example from another blue hero in another franchise: Megaman...well Megaman X for be exact. Does anyone here knows Axl? You know, that third hero Capcom hoped for us to find him as cool as X & Zero. Of course, it didn't worked, because Axl had an unlikeable personality and very little develop while X and Zero had lots of games to turn into the badasses the fans love! The SAME exact thing happened when they introduced Silver!

I still think there's hope for Silver. But it seems that SEGA is afraid to use him on a bigger role than spin-off roaster filler because they don't know what to do for makes us acept him while they are too LAZY to actually realise they need to imporve his personality and make him more unique! also, I still think to this day that Vince (witch was the original name they had planned for him) was way less clicé than Silver, seriously.

That is why I used the word quality in quality screen time.

Which, again, they've had a fair share of it.

The point is that Tails and Knuckles have suffered in favor of attention to these new characters, nobody can deny that.

Um, I can, considering the fact that Tails and Knuckles aren't suffering in favor of any new characters than they are of shitty writing. If Tails and Knuckles get shitty development, chances are that every other character, both old and new, are likely to get shitty development as well. They don't neglect the characters in favor of newer ones unless the game was made entirely for said new character, and even then they're not neglected, rather put in a supporting role as they've always been.

Why in the hell should they when Tails and Knuckles weren't even the leading characters of the game? They were supporting characters, so it's not rocket science to tell that their roles will be eclipsed by those who are the lead characters (i.e. Sonic, Shadow, and Silver).

Knuckles of all characters, however, would've been better out of Sonic 06, as he barely did any more than Tails did the whole game. There wasn't much he could do in the game given his expertise in the ancient world and protection of the ME on the Floating island.

And the storybook games? Pff I hardly consider these Sonic games at all, at best they are Sonic having a dream in which characters from the stories look like people he knows, but don't act like them. I hardly count this as being a great amount of game time for Knuckles or Tails.

The storybook games are just as much of a Sonic game as every other game before it. While the Tails and Knuckles may be different from their "true" characters, that still doesn't negate the fact that they got good development in those games than you make it out to be.

I'm talking about playable roles, being a part of the storyline that isn't just "Hey Eggman wanted me to give you this letter so now I'm here"

Well then let me say that not even Tails and Knuckles need to have a playable role all the time. They can sit out just like every other character and then get playable roles in the future.

And I wasn't stretching anything. I know Silver hasn't had his own game, I was collectively stating that both Shadow and Silver have had large roles, both playable and story wise, and that a whole game was dedicated to one of them (Shadow of course <_< )

And Tails and Knuckles have both had large roles, both playable and storywise, and had games dedicated for them before as well. So what's the problem?

Why in the hell should they when Tails and Knuckles weren't even the leading characters of the game? They were supporting characters, so it's not rocket science to tell that their roles will be eclipsed by those who are the lead characters (i.e. Sonic, Shadow, and Silver).

And Tails and Knuckles have both had large roles, both playable and storywise, and had games dedicated for them before as well. So what's the problem?

I think that is the problem he's trying to illustrate, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not very opinionated on the matter anymore since I don't really play the new Sonic games, but the general idea is, I think, most people want to see more Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, etc., and less new character. I don't think they want Silver and his ilk to land those big, story-important roles to begin with, and would rather see new characters in more supporting secondary roles until they've been properly developed.

That's just my perception of it, though, and I reserve the right to be wrong.

Edited by psikeout

I think that is the problem he's trying to illustrate, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not very opinionated on the matter anymore since I don't really play the new Sonic games, but the general idea is, I think, most people want to see more Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, etc., and less new character. I don't think they want Silver and his ilk to land those big, story-important roles to begin with, and would rather see new characters in more supporting secondary roles until they've been properly developed.

That's just my perception of it, though, and I reserve the right to be wrong.

I know what he's illustrating. What I'm telling him is that Tails and Knuckles aren't being upstaged just because new characters aren't around. They've gotten just about everything those new characters had before these newer ones were even in the concept phase in the series. To reiterate what Diogenes said before me, "New characters aren't in any way responsible for half the shit that's been piled onto the cast, and the other half could've been avoided if they could write worth a damn."

Just because new characters are around doesn't mean Tails and Knuckles are getting the bare minimum, and the focus is not always going to be on them, nor should it. We have a large cast of characters, I think every other character can have their turn in being a lead character in a story, instead of just Tails and Knuckles up there on the highest pedestal that new characters somehow are never worthy enough to be. They're among the most widely known of the characters, but they're not among the upmost important of them. Tails and Knuckles can share roles with other characters and let them be just as important as they are, and I don't see how that will ruin anything that is already established.

That's just the jealousy of things in this fanbase, particularly among those who favor the Classic cast for the matter of them being the first ones into the the series. I can understand if they prefer a character in a role over another, no matter how much I may disagree with it, but complaining about how a character "deserves" a role more than another one is an obvious step over jealousy than anything else. If I were to take a similar stand, I can argue that no character (Tails and Knuckles included) "deserves" to be in this series, aside from Sonic and Eggman. There's no quality in being one of the earliest characters in the series.

• Bad Quality Post 1

My gripe as far as Tails & Knuckles is concerned is the way Sonic Team has chosen to develop them, not with how they cast them in the story. What's there to even upstage? I'd prefer it more if Knuckles wasn't even in a lot of games, it's probably one of the few story-related aspects of Unleashed I actually liked. Lately he's gotten too damn chummy with Sonic and it's almost as though Sonic Team has completely forgotten the Master Emerald exists since it hasn't been referenced since, like, what, Heroes I think? I wouldn't know for sure - like psikeout, I haven't played any new games.

Ideally, a new character, hedgehog or not, should only be implemented when the current characters have been given at least some semblance of depth and development: of which Sonic & Tails have like what... none? Especially the former. Granted, I won't deny the subtle charm that goes along with the mystery that enshrouds Sonic's past, but damn it I want to know at least a little more about him than what I know. They could dedicate an entire saga of games to his past without plugging even one new major character (save for some new faces he runs into once or twice throughout the hypothetical saga).

I'm all for new characters. I cater to the fanbase's creative side and was brought up through RPing, so after years of learning the tricks of the trade and how to inspire genuine originality, of course I understand the value and novelty of a well done character. But that's just it - a WELL DONE character. Not a Silver the Hedgehog, not a Marine the Raccoon, and not an Eggman Nega. The last character that was sort of well done was Blaze (emphasis on sort of) and the last character that was remarkably well done was Shadow (SA2 Shadow, not post-SA2). Look at how far back that was. That was eight years ago, man.

Yeah, yeah, Chaotix was a fangasm at the time but honestly, they could've done better. I'd have preferred Espio to simply evolve from his original 1995 traits instead of take on this stupid ninja shit. Vector's alright and I guess Charmy is the only kiddy character that actually acts like a kid, but otherwise the trio is shrugworthy.

Anyway, I digress. My absolute point is, sure, go ahead, make new characters, but before you do that, at least look at your current roster and find ways to better them. The whole point of making a character that leaves a lasting impression is to make sure they connect with your audience. Sonic USED to do that, not so much anymore. Shadow DID do that, not so much anymore. Tails? I can understand his independence but he's not with Sonic as much as than I am comfortable with. Amy? What a sacrilege, her involvement with most mainstream titles is basically no more than her stalking Sonic and getting mixed up in all the action. So what do they do to circumvent developing the main characters? Create more new ones to stir hype, when in actuality to their true fans they're stirring contempt.

Then again, when did we matter? I guess we'll find out when Project: Needlemouse is released.

• Thumbs Up 2

Then again, when did we matter? I guess we'll find out when Project: Needlemouse is released.

The quality is something that will be fixed over time. It's not something where you wake up one morning and say, 'You know what, we're going to improve our quality on this franchise,' and it magically happens. A lot of hard work goes into striving for quality. Interestingly, I think Sonic Unleashed was very well received by the kids. There was some talk about the werehog aspect, the slower pacing and more combat-oriented gameplay, but when we go out and test this stuff and sit down with the consumers, kids actually like that.

I think older, die-hard Sega fans who grew up with the franchise and the first Sonic the Hedgehog associate Sonic more with 2-D side-scrolling super fast, and they liked the daytime gameplay, but when it came to the slower paced gameplay they were fairly critical of that, and that's fine – they have their opinions,

We mattered in 1993 when we were buying their games, and making them the David to Nintendo's Goliath. Now, unless we're approving what little they're doing right, the kids are all that matter.

Edited by Mie

We mattered in 1993 when we were buying their games, and making them the David to Nintendo's Goliath. Now, unless we're approving what little they're doing right, the kids are all that matter.

Weren't we the kids back then, though? Just sayin'.

I'm not up to writing any essays tonight, so I'll simply state that the franchise needs exactly one more hedgehog: a minor NPC who only exists to prove that not every hedgehog in Sonic's world will grow up to be some sort of prodigy. Like, a hedgehog teacher or dentist or minor Mafia thug. Anything. Appears in one game, isn't related to any of the main cast in any way, disappears. That's all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Weren't we the kids back then, though? Just sayin'.

If only we were kids now...:lol:

In my opinion (I'm new by the way) it is not the amount of hedgehogs the makes me unhappy, it's their character. Take Shadow for instance. He was used as the "Evil Twin that turned good in the end" character ( I always found this odd since I thought that was Metal Sonic's purpose.) He was one of my favorite characters in SA2, because he had an interesting backstory and develpment. But then, because the fans wanted him back they brought him back for Heroes, but there was really no where else to go because his character had been resolved in SA2. That is when Shadow sarted to becom a mediocre character. My point is that I don't care if they are hedgehogs I just care if there character and identity is good enough and different enough from Sonic's to make them interesting. The character I really think could use development is Metal Sonic

I thought Silver being a Hedgehog in 06 was fine because of the parallels between the three of them. However I'd like there to be no more for a while e_e

I do like Silver a lot though. He has so much potential BECAUSE he is the insecure one, which is a welcome change in the series as everyone else is usually sure of what they can do. I picture Silver as the sweet, kind hearted guy with a heart of gold, who appreciates things others don't. I saw some fanart somewhere where Silver is extending his hand out to a butterfly on a plant. It's stuff like that which I think fits Silver perfectly. He has arguably some of the best morals in the series (he only tries to kill Sonic because he is tricked by Mephiles in the first place, he is naive after all), and even when he does try it's only to save his future and he has qualms about doing that too). If they'd developed this part of his character rather than "YOU'RE THE IBLIS TRIGGA!" In last he does get a backbone too and a sudden change of pace. Obviously this is all erased, but having him be a bit insecure works brilliantly for the contrast. The potential for Silver to be epic and the story to be good was clearly shown in 06, but developed poorly.

In my opinion (I'm new by the way) it is not the amount of hedgehogs the makes me unhappy, it's their character. Take Shadow for instance. He was used as the "Evil Twin that turned good in the end" character ( I always found this odd since I thought that was Metal Sonic's purpose.) He was one of my favorite characters in SA2, because he had an interesting backstory and develpment. But then, because the fans wanted him back they brought him back for Heroes, but there was really no where else to go because his character had been resolved in SA2. That is when Shadow sarted to becom a mediocre character. My point is that I don't care if they are hedgehogs I just care if there character and identity is good enough and different enough from Sonic's to make them interesting. The character I really think could use development is Metal Sonic

Haha, what more could be done with Metal Sonic after Sonic Heroes? That was a pretty conclusive defeat on his part, not to mention the premise behind the whole Metallic Madness thing could've been executed with a little more creativity.

There needs to stop being so much alternative development going on with other characters whilst Sonic Team blissfully overlooks their core cast. Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Robotnik are probably the most undeveloped characters in the franchise! I understand that's part of their appeal, but shouldn't it come standard to know more about the core cast than anyone else? I'd love to know the motives behind Eggman's deeds and the methods to his madness but I can only guess.

There needs to stop being so much alternative development going on with other characters whilst Sonic Team blissfully overlooks their core cast. Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Robotnik are probably the most undeveloped characters in the franchise! I understand that's part of their appeal, but shouldn't it come standard to know more about the core cast than anyone else? I'd love to know the motives behind Eggman's deeds and the methods to his madness but I can only guess.

I can't help but think Sega would just find a way to screw it up at this point. Granted, no matter what they do with the series, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't, because the fanbase is so fractured. But still, I think I'd feel a great many pangs of dread if they suddenly decided to explore Sonic or Eggman's history at this point in the series, given their storytelling track record. Maybe in a perfect world. I'd say it's better left to us to imagine as we please, now. I'm at least happier that way.

I guess what it boils down to is that this is really heavily treated as what it is, that being a game series, and not a book series, or what have you. These characters are nobody's babies anymore. They're IPs—Intellectual properties—first and foremost, and characters second. I doubt there is any thought or insight into what makes them do the things they do other than what we blatantly see. That's the impression I get, anyway. They're just features that exist to add value to a packaged product, acting as vehicles to propel units into households. Sega has historically been a very market-research-oriented company (by which I mean the markets they pick, not necessarily our market or demographic).

I can't help but think Sega would just find a way to screw it up at this point. Granted, no matter what they do with the series, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't, because the fanbase is so fractured. But still, I think I'd feel a great many pangs of dread if they suddenly decided to explore Sonic or Eggman's history at this point in the series, given their storytelling track record. Maybe in a perfect world. I'd say it's better left to us to imagine as we please, now. I'm at least happier that way.

I guess what it boils down to is that this is really heavily treated as what it is, that being a game series, and not a book series, or what have you. These characters are nobody's babies anymore. They're IPs—Intellectual properties—first and foremost, and characters second. I doubt there is any thought or insight into what makes them do the things they do other than what we blatantly see. That's the impression I get, anyway. They're just features that exist to add value to a packaged product, acting as vehicles to propel units into households. Sega has historically been a very market-research-oriented company (by which I mean the markets they pick, not necessarily our market or demographic).

You make a good point. Considering Sonic Team's track record, if they were to suddenly delve into Sonic's or Eggman's backstory, the results would be so unfathomably disastrous that I would just, oh my God, I would just die. (Lol.)

I don't see any good reason they can't up the creativity in the Sonic series nonetheless. Afterall, even though the series might aim to children, nobody can deny that in 1998 there was a little game called Pokémon, and although the story was not mature, it was definitely a more complicated game than Sonic and kids ran amuck over it like it was the second coming of Jesus. I memorized the Pokérap, all 15(1) and could memorize them down to their cries. Hell, I still can with the damn near 500 species. Kids can get interested in a more complicated Sonic world too, it's just giving them that initial bite on the hook.

Edited by nUcLeArEnVoY
  • Thumbs Up 1

You make a good point. Considering Sonic Team's track record, if they were to suddenly delve into Sonic's or Eggman's backstory, the results would be so unfathomably disastrous that I would just, oh my God, I would just die. (Lol.)

I don't see any good reason they can't up the creativity in the Sonic series nonetheless. Afterall, even though the series might aim to children, nobody can deny that in 1998 there was a little game called Pokémon, and although the story was not mature, it was definitely a more complicated game than Sonic and kids ran amuck over it like it was the second coming of Jesus. I memorized the Pokérap, all 15(1) and could memorize them down to their cries. Hell, I still can with the damn near 500 species. Kids can get interested in a more complicated Sonic world too, it's just giving them that initial bite on the hook.

Oh, no doubt. I don't think deepening the story would in any way make it less marketable to the six-through-tween market they love so much, if it was done right. I think the problem resides in the fact that, well, they just plain don't have any financial motivation to change things. "The kids" still like Sonic, and as long they keep saving up lunch money for it or begging Mom & Dad for it come Christmas time, I guess that's all that really matters. I'm willing to bet the series would have to fall on its face and falter in sales all around to get the kind of attention we'd want it to get.

Edited by psikeout