Awoo.

[MT] Sonic Frontiers DLC: Sights, Sounds and Speed [Achievements Chat Also Goes Here]

Dreadknux
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

The Achievements Hunt is now over, but please continue to share your screenshots and experiences with the rest of the Sonic community!

20 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I don't know how to fix it on PC, but on console, you need to go into options, and switch the graphical modes from performance to visual, to performance again. Seems to be some bizarre bug with loading the Titans in that causes it.

Yeah I managed to fix it by disabling and re-enabling vsync in the settings. Really odd bug.

I'm glad pausing doesn't affect the timer.

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

fink was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Boss Battler - Complete any of the Boss Rush stages and share your score with the Community!' and 30 points.

And done. This was a fun challenge. Cross Slash is super broken lol. My maxed-out stats obviously helped as well.

The cyberspace challenges were also incredibly fun especially with all the possible shortcuts that exist thanks to the homing dash tech.

Overall, a fantastic first major update!

I'm looking forward to the next community challenge! Would even love to see events for older titles as well. 

1237320_20230328210258_1.png

Dreadknux

LegoFedora was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Cyber Space Speedster - Complete the Cyber Space Challange and share your score with the Community!' and 30 points.

Gonna piggyback off this and post my time for the ALL category of cyberspace for the shiny achievement. I actually wanted to hold off on this and go for a better time (I know for a fact I can do 3-6 a lot better, I took it really slow this run because I knew going into it that 3-6 would be a consistent run killer) but who knows how long that'll take until I'm satisfied, so here it is anyways.

Spoiler

1237320_20230327010341_1.thumb.png.3aa543964909cfa98988b9f41709f876.png

On 3/28/2023 at 12:18 AM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm in the progress of the challenges so I'll save the achievement type stuff for later, but man, these Cyberspace Challenges really infuriate me on the same level as Crash 4's perfect runs, and I say that as someone who's S-Ranked every single stage in the main game twice over already (PS5 and Steam Deck).

I really do love the idea of these bite-sized stage challenge marathons, and don't get me wrong - I had some hype moments with them so far, specifically when in Chaos Island, I fumbled an earlier stage, only to manage to clutch the S-Rank by perfecting 3-6 with like 30 seconds to spare, which is the first time I've done a perfect run on the stage.

But god, I really hate it when a game demands some level of super high performance with little room from error from you, but cannot remain stable enough to provide a foundation for that performance, It might be fair enough on it's own to have a marathon run of nearly perfect runs, but I feel like it's only fair to expect that same kind of performance from the game itself - I.E - that the game's functions will play well and fair, and not hinder your attempts, and yet Frontiers just is not that. If anything, it's jank in Cyberspace is honestly unreal.

I wasn't even going to post this honestly until I had done the achievement challenges (Which I'm still working on) (And please - if this is the wrong thread for this kind of discussion, I apologise), but after losing three full rounds of the Ouranos challenge run because of sheer jank - such as clipping through floors, clipping through rails, somehow being derailed off a automated rail, being hit and knocked around by spikes into bottomless pits, losing dashes randomly, and the one that made me need to stop for the night to take a break - somehow clipping through the freaking glider on 4-1 after being literally BOOSTED INTO IT - it's just really frustrating. They really should've tightened this all up before coming out with such a thing IMO.

That's surprising to hear. I've heard complaints that the cyberspace physics are bad absolutely, but never outright broken. Even on my run, I never encountered any oddities outside of a single rail in the GHZ rail stage that never let me double jump off it for some reason. I wasn't speedrunning, but I was making liberal use of homing dash and ended up with about 2 minutes from the S rank to spare on my final time and even homing dashing never got much trouble.

What platform are you on, is there a chance the physics/jankiness of cyberspace differs per system?

1 hour ago, LegoFedora said:

That's surprising to hear. I've heard complaints that the cyberspace physics are bad absolutely, but never outright broken. Even on my run, I never encountered any oddities outside of a single rail in the GHZ rail stage that never let me double jump off it for some reason. I wasn't speedrunning, but I was making liberal use of homing dash and ended up with about 2 minutes from the S rank to spare on my final time and even homing dashing never got much trouble.

What platform are you on, is there a chance the physics/jankiness of cyberspace differs per system?

The only stage I had some trouble with (outside of me going too fast without thinking lol) was on 2-6. A propeller spring towards the middle of the level just did not seem to work properly. It kept shooting me too high and didn't allow me to properly hit the spring consecutively. 

I'm really glad everyone has gotten into the Community Achievment Hunt spirit! It's taken me a while to sort mine out because I got hit with a hundred different illnesses this past month, but I blasted through Cyberspace at mach speed on my PS5 real close to my monitor and risked severe motion sickness to get this over to you 😄!

Cyber Space Challenge:

Spoiler

SONIC FRONTIERS_20230329212032.jpg

I stopped after the Chaos run because I 'failed' at unlocking the next island's set of stages. Will save it for another day. I would have managed it but I absolutely choked on 3-6 - died once due to a mistimed jump and before I knew it I was dying every 20 seconds :cough:

Boss Rush:

Spoiler

SONIC FRONTIERS_20230329212839.jpg

I kinda suck at the combat in Frontiers, haha. I just don't get it really. I like going zoom zoom and jumping around fast. Also it has been a while since I played the game so I kinda forgot every move too. I'm curious, reading everyone else's experiences with Battle Rush - do you have Auto Combo set at all, or do you leave it for manual inputs for things like Cross Slash etc?

Jukebox:

Spoiler

SONIC FRONTIERS_20230329213239.jpg

I did kinda cheat and pick the first unlockable song I found, but shut up leave me alone. Windmill Isle also kind of works on Kronos anyway. Is nice.

Photo Mode:

Spoiler

SONIC FRONTIERS_20230329214813.jpg

Wanted to capture a cool 'Sonic vs big bad' shot right here. The filters aren't exactly anything to write home about, but I did like this one that amplifies the colours a little bit.

Also another photo I did for good measure:

Spoiler

SONIC FRONTIERS_20230329215016.jpg

I just kinda thought the visual effects that Sonic leaves behind when he bounces off things looked really cool.

53 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Boss Rush:

I kinda suck at the combat in Frontiers, haha. I just don't get it really. I like going zoom zoom and jumping around fast. Also it has been a while since I played the game so I kinda forgot every move too. I'm curious, reading everyone else's experiences with Battle Rush - do you have Auto Combo set at all, or do you leave it for manual inputs for things like Cross Slash etc?

Manual all the way.

Every enemy has a move or two that they are particularly vulnerable too, and it makes the timed challenges so much easier once you determine what it is for each baddie.

Honestly, 90% pf the time in the combat challenges you shouldn't be punching or kicking at all. Just going right into the special attack best suited for the job.

Any of the wind kick or cross slash variants will shred baddies that cant block and can't move out of range (Titans included). All the Ninja variants can be punished for massive damage via the stomp if they try to block, and the AOE properties of spinning moves helps mop up mobs. Leaving all that up to the auto combo can limit you from using the right tool for the current job and sack your chances at an S rank.

• Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

Sternosaur was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Cyber Space Speedster - Complete the Cyber Space Challange and share your score with the Community!' and 30 points.

So glad I have spring break rn, just spent the last couple of days beating this as quickly as possible so I could do the speed run challenge and boss rush challenge. Here is my results for the Kronos island speed challenge. Wasn't sure if we had to do all the speed challenges or just one of them but here's the Kronos one for now at least.

KronosSpeedChallenge.png

Dreadknux

Sternosaur was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Boss Battler - Complete any of the Boss Rush stages and share your score with the Community!' and 30 points.

Here is my boss rush, I don't know if I'm going to do the others or not yet because this is not my cup of tea. I was getting hella mad and restarted any time I made a big error, I really wish we could disable certain moves because sometimes I'll do a move that looks flashy and takes longer to execute, and it is just hella frustrating. Props to you chads who have the patience to do that with all of them.

bossrush.png

5 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

Manual inputs for me, as auto-combo would interfere too much. 

Keep in mind, cross-slash won't work for everything, but most bosses sans the Ares set have tricks to use on them. E.G - if you immediately hold parry after destroying one of the weak points on Asura, Sonic will stop mid-air and let you bounce back to hit the others without needing to run back up and deal with the janky physics.

For Sumo, you can skip the bouncing stuff by homing attack, and immediately quick cyclooping, which skips the sequence and lets you pound on him immediately. 

For the hammers, if you can get up to them right away, you can kill them within a cross slash/combo. In fact, if you cross-slash, then jump immediately after, you can get the height to reach their heads immediately.

For the last two ninja variants, if you let them hit Sonic, you can use him wakeup slam to make them vulnerable and skip the time-consuming slow mo sequences. 

Even for the Knight, I found you can entirely skip the first shield/missile sequence by spamming with cross slash enough, and shredding enough health to force him straight into Phase 2.

A lot of Boss Rush is just finding tricks and knowing where to exploit cross slash, followed by a few quick follow ups, and knowing where to use alternatives elsewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Ridiculous Raymar was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Cyber Space Speedster - Complete the Cyber Space Challange and share your score with the Community!' and 30 points.

Cyberspace Speedster!✅

Had this done a few days ago on stream and gotta say it's one of the most satisfying challenges of this game!

c4b53dfb-e1a0-47a2-875f-c0d352b5e394.png

Dreadknux

Ridiculous Raymar was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Boss Battler - Complete any of the Boss Rush stages and share your score with the Community!' and 30 points.

Boss Battler!✅

And with that, the community achievement run has been completed! I made a lot of mistakes, so the pop off was real when I finished it with all S Ranks! Hope you guys give me more challenges to complete again someday!🤙🏾

5cd4b4b8-19c8-4e8b-9f10-918f2e240936.png

Dreadknux

Blusolyn was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Audio Archaeologist - Unlock a song by collecting Sound Memory tokens and share your discovery with the Community!' and 30 points.

I took a picture for Audio Archaeologist.  Really enjoyed finding the songs. 

2023033010255400_s.jpg

Dreadknux

Ducktor Naldush was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Boss Battler - Complete any of the Boss Rush stages and share your score with the Community!' and 30 points.

spacer.png

This is for the BOSS RUSH badge, but I'll be honest with you guys, after this screenshot I managed to unlock the boss rush for the next island but facing some of the bosses that I had deliberately skipped during my first playthrough because I found them dull just isn't fun, I am not a fan of Shark, among others.

Thank god I am not a compulsory completionist and I am glad to enjoy the game in other ways

Dreadknux

LegoFedora was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Boss Battler - Complete any of the Boss Rush stages and share your score with the Community!' and 30 points.

Here's my score for the boss rush ALL.

I like the combat in Frontiers a lot more after doing this, having to speedkill makes stringing combos together fun......when they work. I swear, cross-slash had maybe a 50% chance of actually activating when I wanted to and homing shot seemed to activate whenever the hell it wanted to. Very glad I didn't give up once I started getting consistent A ranks (and forbid a B), I guess somewhere near the end there's a boss with a SUPER generous amount of time required that put my up to S rank.1237320_20230329133124_1.thumb.png.2d29dfb2e3c5ba0a8fb2005ba9880c6d.png

On 3/28/2023 at 9:54 PM, fink said:

A bit unrelated but is anyone else getting a bug in boss rush mode where the game locks itself to 30fps? (I'm playing on PC btw) It sometimes happens to me when I reach a titan and while it doesn't make the game unplayable, it makes it harder than it needs to be.

I'm trying to complete the final boss rush challenge, but this bug keeps happening to me. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing it or if there's a fix for it.

Yes, it happens on every titan fight without fail. I can fix it just by changing the framerate from 30 to 60, but it is annoying. I also had one instance where the game softlocked me because I skipped a boss cutscene and it wouldn't proceed. The mode's pretty buggy.

12 hours ago, ZinogreVolt said:

Yes, it happens on every titan fight without fail. I can fix it just by changing the framerate from 30 to 60, but it is annoying. I also had one instance where the game softlocked me because I skipped a boss cutscene and it wouldn't proceed. The mode's pretty buggy.

Does SEGA/Sonic Team have any way for people to submit bug reports? I know the Steam forums had a thread for it, but I'm not sure if it's still looked at.

On 3/29/2023 at 11:24 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

Leaving all that up to the auto combo can limit you from using the right tool for the current job and sack your chances at an S rank.

Can confirm this isn't the case, because I'm a lazy butt who uses auto-combo and managed the S ranks just fine (my times are probably mediocre though for sure lol).

Dreadknux

Red was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Starfall Snapper - Take a Photo in Sonic Frontiers' Photo Mode and share it with the Community!' and 30 points.

Late on this but wanted to share my photos I took for the Starfall Snapper achievement! 

20230327_232847.thumb.jpg.470e4c399581d9e03cd341705488ebef.jpg20230327_232842.thumb.jpg.d95822d62f4ed4d278aad94465fc6f55.jpg

Dreadknux

Adamabba was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Starfall Snapper - Take a Photo in Sonic Frontiers' Photo Mode and share it with the Community!' and 30 points.

Starfall Snapper:
187390a01da8-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.14b20afede996d6d10514220edf3abb0.jpg

Cyber Space Speedster:

187390a76f598-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.cd99bd650dc7f4810d2cb3293b9a7887.jpg

Boss Battler:

187390a76f559-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.3a013650676f02d78638037114efff27.jpg

Audio Archaeologist:

187390b5ff755-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.0d594b675d8b2868776f2ad07532f46b.jpg

Dreadknux

Sandwich was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Starfall Snapper - Take a Photo in Sonic Frontiers' Photo Mode and share it with the Community!' and 30 points.

I hope I'm doing this right, here's my photo

2023032421024900-85F8C21DFB6C68234E4132C1BEC3368D.jpg

Dreadknux

Sonictrainer was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Audio Archaeologist - Unlock a song by collecting Sound Memory tokens and share your discovery with the Community!' and 30 points.

Here's my Achievement Submissions

(I waited too late for the Cyber Space Achievement...)

Spoiler

FskqhxAX0A8efvz?format=jpg&name=largeFsmUYanXsAAWsB7?format=jpg&name=largeFsmUxG5X0AE27q5?format=jpg&name=large

Dreadknux

Blueknight V2.0 was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Boss Battler - Complete any of the Boss Rush stages and share your score with the Community!' and 30 points.

Probably a bit late for the badge, even tho it's only a few minutes until midnight here in the US. But here's my times for the Battle Rush mode so far.

SONICFRONTIERS_20230331235027.thumb.png.96a21eec330ac78f9c0dc7d683897792.png

Thanks for sharing all your screenshots and taking part in the DLC Achievements Hunt, everyone! The Achievements Event is now over, so any screens posted after this point won’t be eligible for a Badge anymore. But this topic will remain open so that everyone can still discuss the DLC for the game and share the photos they made for fun! 🙂