Awoo.

Red hot walrus lovin'

Indigo Rush

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/11/10/rotor-planned-as-gay-character-says-ken-penders/

Now I know TSSZ isn't worth linking to half the time (since we get plenty of updates here on SSMB) but I came across this and couldn't stop laughing.

For those of you who haven't clicked the link yet, it's talking about how the comic writers of the Archie Comic Series had at one point in time actually intended for Rotor the Walrus to be a homosexual. I kid you not.

So... uh... not sure if this should go into the Archie topic, so lock if necessary.

The discussion factor? What if Rotor was gay? How do you think that would change the comic, and it's overall reception? Would this have translated into the games (not likely)

Discuss.

Edited by Indigo Dude

When I used to read the Archie Sonic comics, I knew there was something about Rotor. I just couldn't put my finger on what it was. It's really not going to make a big impact on the comic.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Walruses have a bone in their penis. Just thought I'd mention that.

But really, the sexuality of an anthropomorphic walrus has to be among the most disgusting thoughts I've had all week.

I think this topic has already been discussed at length in the Archie topic, which was why I never brought up the subject when I first heard about it.

Anyways, I couldn't be less interested in Rotor's sexual preferences. But if Ken wanted him to be the token homosexual character, the least he could have done is do something with that in the actual comic, instead of just spouting it off randomly once he'd been fired.

*laughs*

Wow, that's pretty awesome, actually. Way for diversity. Although, would that have ever got the green-light from SEGA?

Will post more later (probably), need to be AFK now. =3

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I dunno why they would have thought up this. Does such a simplistic storyline like the Sonic comics really need to focus on sexuality of characters? Or even so much on romance/cheating/marriages and all that love triangle soap opera drama? What's the necessity on that?

Edited by Dr. Good Girl

Normally I'd be more interested in the subject of Rotor's sexuality, but since Penders is gone, it doesn't look like this development will be relevant to the book. It is still sort of neat that Penders tried to develop Rotor that way, though, since I never expected him to do anything like that.

Dr. Good Girl, I'd agree in that there's 'not really a point' for the plot to focus on it (or romance in general, as it did when I read it, which annoyed me to no end). However, I do think that, if they'd pulled it off well, it'd have been a great way to help ease kids into the matter and help nurture acceptance of homosexuality in the younger generations, which would then hopefully filter through into the future.

The only problem with that in general is that the parents of our current generation are still largely homophobic, and as such even getting a plot revolving around a homosexual character into something aimed at children would be difficult. They'd be likely to get complaints along the lines of "What are you teaching my kids" and whatnot, sadly.

Still, I may have hated his writing, but a big thumbs-up to Penders from me on this one. Shame it never carried through. Is anything at all going to be done with it, then? I heard mention of M:25YL, or is that all done and dusted now?

Come to think of it, I only ever read the first one. What have they done with Rotor in subsequent future arcs?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Just looked into it... the hell? Cobar is an Echidna? D=

And here I was thinking of a cute 'D'awww' walrus couple. D= Walrus on Echidna action is a scary concept. D=

Then again, maybe that should be 'Echidna on Walrus', Rotor totally comes across as a sub, if you ask me. >.>

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

When I used to read the Archie Sonic comics, I knew there was something about Rotor. I just couldn't put my finger on what it was. It's really not going to make a big impact on the comic.

It's because he is purple. :facepalm: When Dumbledore was said to be gay in the Harry Potter franchise, a million of idiots said that they knew it along because he wore purple clothes.

Despite that... I was pissed, and reminding me of it again, even makes me more pissed. Being gay is something natural and usual in life. It should be not pointed out like if it's something special or exotic or abnormal about a character. It's never news, nor is it ever pointed out that character x was planned as heterossexual. No one should give a damn about a character's sexual options. Giving importance to a character being gay or not is a prejudice in itself. This typical behaviour of immature people makes me sick.

Edited by redmenace
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well, the way I see it, like it or not, being gay is still very much a minority, and again in most cases is treated as such. That's why it gets the 'different' attention it does. In that sense, it is 'abnormal' in that it's not the majority.

I see where you're coming from, but rather than slander Penders for singling out Rotor for homosexuality's sake, I see it as more being 'good on him' for having the guts to try and introduce the matter of accepting gays in a kids' comic.

Edited by Mahzes
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

As a gay guy, I love it when characters are depicted as gay, if they're likable characters. Sure it's drawing attention to it but I can't deny that I like it XP.

It's nice when they do as they have here and turn around and say "Oh, by the way, X is gay". Because up until then they're totally normal and whatnot, kinda helps break down the stereotypes.

At least they didn't have him mincing and limpwristing. D=

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

They always make the uglier ones the poofters. They should just admit Tails is a faggot =O.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind Sonic and Tails being paired up in Archie, but I'd want it to have proper development, instead of just being thrown together like say, Tails' relationship with Mina in the future stories. Presumably, you don't go from being brothers to lovers overnight.

It'd have been interesting to see how they'd have pulled this off, especially in a kids comic.

The problem with gay characters a lot of the time is that the character often becomes 2D, like their only characteristic is that they're gay.

I don't see that there's any reason not to have a gay character in any medium, even Sonic. It's a natural thing and there's absolutly nothing wrong with it at all.

I know that it's probably never going to happen now penders is gone, but assuming it was executed well I'd have loved to have seen it make it into the comics.

It might have even given archie that extradepth that I've always felt the comics were lacking.

Again, would they have been able to get this past either SEGA, Archie or the Comics Code Authority without the idea being pulled? Considering it'd have to fly with all three makes it seem a bit unlikely, even if Penders were still around, sadly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Again, would they have been able to get this past either SEGA, Archie or the Comics Code Authority without the idea being pulled? Considering it'd have to fly with all three makes it seem a bit unlikely, even if Penders were still around, sadly.

Well, they have gotten away with Knux and Julie being an unmarried couple, if that counts for anything.^_~

I think it might have made it through, at least to some degree (early planning stages or a press release). For one thing, it would have reflected badly on Sega if word got out they'd refused astoryline on the basis of a gay character featuring.

Edited by Jake Bird

Well, the way I see it, like it or not, being gay is still very much a minority, and again in most cases is treated as such. That's why it gets the 'different' attention it does. In that sense, it is 'abnormal' in that it's not the majority.

I see where you're coming from, but rather than slander Penders for singling out Rotor for homosexuality's sake, I see it as more being 'good on him' for having the guts to try and introduce the matter of accepting gays in a kids' comic.

If he was okay with the subject in the first place, then he would have introduced characters that were gay without any need to point it out in some interviews years later. To me, this is mindless propaganda to appear as pro-gay or hip (yes, because being pro-gay now is cool for some moronic reason). Also, he only felt the need to include just one and his partner, to reinforce such oddity. Also, Rotor was never seen as someone handsome or liked by his looks. Only ugly and / or old people are depicted as gay. Oh sure, we can't have it too deep nor too common because it's a kid's comic. They why bother with this kind of thing in the first place? It doesn't make the comic any more deep than it is. To me, it makes it double the shallowness, it's the autor taking advantage of people that face so many problems already in a very mindless manner.

I'm not attacking you or anything, I'm just venting against this situation. Even if Penders is innocent from all of what I just said, these sterotypes and singling it out, even if you agree with homosexuals, is a subconscious prejudice in itself. This kind of crap pisses me off quite a deal.

It's okay to like gay characters though, just like it's okay to like brunnete, blond, etc, etc. The issue was never that.But yes, I understand that since it's not common nor is it something generally accepted, that's why it gets so much attention. And yet, again, this is a prejudice in itself. And - I - hate - it.

Edited by redmenace
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 5

I have no problem with gays at all, but the whole idea behind just seems inherently stupid to me. There's little to no point in it and considering how awful the comics are from what I've seen and heard about, chances are the idea wouldn't have been executed well anyway.

Redmeanance: Like I said, I do see where you're coming from, but again surely no harm can come from trying to work acceptance of homosexuality into a kids' comic, even if it doesn't really serve any purpose.

Sure, it's a bit of a forced cliche, with the old 'moral of the story' in something aimed at kids, but if it does even the slightest thing to quell homophobia, then it's no harm done in my book, anyway.

Incidentally, I went back and looked at the original M:25YL to see this Cobar that he apparently ends up with.

Rotor's taste in men is terrible. D=

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Rotor's taste in men is terrible. D=

He likes his men like he likes his raisins: wrinkled and sun-dried.XD