Awoo.

Red hot walrus lovin'

Indigo Rush

Thank you for that. Really. Thank you. THANK YOU. >_>;; There is no amount of bleach adequate for this. *Scours own brain out*

Can we try to avoid any further posting of the furry pr0nz in this topic if possible? If only for my sanity (I have nothing against furry pr0nz... but Rotor x Tails? X_x)

Thank you for that. Really. Thank you. THANK YOU. >_>;; There is no amount of bleach adequate for this. *Scours own brain out*

Can we try to avoid any further posting of the furry pr0nz in this topic if possible? If only for my sanity (I have nothing against furry pr0nz... but Rotor x Tails? X_x)

...are you sure that I can't interest you in some hot Sonic on Tails action, Flyboy? ; )

sonicxtails.jpg

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 2

Alright, alright. Back on topic people! Let's see now Rotor is gay. Now gay readers of the Archie Sonic comics will be referred to as Rotors? Think about it! :P

• Thumbs Up 1

errr ok people lets reign it in, this topic has had sillyness but we don't need to just take it completely to pointlessness.

Crap, I seem to always have that habit of deleting macro posts before realizing that another mod has already stepped in before me. Sorry!

That's how you're beating me in mod actions >:U (<3) - Pelly

Ahahahaha oh man, watching AoSTH I always was like "That walrus is a bro." And since I live in hella norcal, bro capital of the gay universe, I really hate bros and am pretty sure they're all closet gays. Maybe that's just because all the bros in highschool (and now in college) were those guys who got naked together at parties. I know that doesn't make you gay, but damn. I totally called that. That's hilarious.

Rotor's taste in men is terrible. D=

I don't even know what Cobar looks like. Someone show me one, and you'll be rewarded with a reaction.

EDIT: Never mind.

rotorandcobarg.jpg

Personally, I don't think those two seem that odd a couple, considering Rotor is getting on a bit by that point as well. I dunno, I'm not fussed about old guy pairings. Or at least not in the same way as everyone else.

Archie Sonic, breaking the boundaries of gender, age, and interracial relations, all in one swoop.

Wowzers.

To be honest though, the topic of Rotor's sexuality isn't major news to me, though that's only because I'm not very familiar with the character at all. I saw him on a couple of episodes of SatAM and that was it, so I haven't grown to care much for him as of yet. Giving the aspect to this character does interest me though, I must admit. cuz im a pervert

Edited by Wyde

Ahahahaha oh man, watching AoSTH I always was like "That walrus is a bro." And since I live in hella norcal, bro capital of the gay universe, I really hate bros and am pretty sure they're all closet gays. Maybe that's just because all the bros in highschool (and now in college) were those guys who got naked together at parties. I know that doesn't make you gay, but damn. I totally called that. That's hilarious.

... Rotor wasn't in AoStH.

... Rotor wasn't in AoStH.

We all make mistakes. :3

MY EYES I CANNOT--

Don't worry, it's just like when you see mommy and daddy wrestling, only instead of a mommy you've got the next door neighbour's youngest child. Perfectly natural.

Must preserve Dread's innocence

Edited by Wyde

Eugh.. Man, am I glad Penders doesn't write for the book anymore. YECH! Go take your soap operas and crap and stuff it, Penders.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Archie has always been (and still is) one giant soap opera, whether Penders was writing for it or not ^^;

• Thumbs Up 1

Archie has always been (and still is) one giant soap opera, whether Penders was writing for it or not ^^;

I'm all for drama and all, but Archie tried just too hard and ended up failing miserably. Only relationship that ever worked in the comic if you ask me is Knuckles and Julie-su. Because, ya know, Ken took the time to actually DEVELOP it. Of course, that was when the Knuckles book was still kicking ass and Ken himself was in his prime (and yes, such a period existed).

I really miss those old Knuckles comics... why couldn't it have been the Sonic series that was canceled?!

^ The Knuckles comics started with the Dark Legion and then degraded into a bunch of inter-Echidna politics that didn't seem to go anywhere. They went on to use a lot of those characters well in the future, but not during the life of the series IMO. I stopped reading the Archies when Knuckles was canceled, so yeah I missed those comics too. The relationships in the old Archies were Sonic/Sally, Sally/Geoffrey, Knuckles/Julie-Su, and some Antoine/Bunnie.

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf

The mods are having a field day with this one... if some regular user posted those drawings, you know they'd be in trouble.

Anyway, I don't mind if he was intended to be gay, he's part of the team which makes him family, gay or not, and without his knowledge and know - how the Freedom Fighters probably wouldn't be where they are today.

My only grumble is that Archie are making him look older and older with each issue while everyone else is the same age and has the same look (Sonic on the cover of SU #8).

So who cares if a cartoon walrus is a raving homosexual? I think that it makes absolutely no difference whether he drops anchor in poo bay or not - he'll still be the same lousy sub-character to me!

Well it's not like it would have been a good idea to suddenly make a far more prominent/important character homosexual, considering the relationships already established and the hatedom such a seemingly random revealation would amass. It's not like people are going to notice if two very aged and very minor characters are having a good ol' (EDIT - Inflammatory -T) when they think no-one is looking.

Edited by Wyde

I don't get how Rotor being taken out of the closet and labelled gay is supposed to make the character more interesting. Excuse me if I'm not saying that in as politically correct a way as I could, but I really don't see how playing off a sexual orientation was supposed to enhance or increase whatever appeal he already had or lacked. I really don't. That to me is like saying any other secondary/background character is gay/bi/whatever, so let's play off the media perceived stereotypes! Am I supposed to picture Rotor wearing gay pride T-shirts and suddenly advising all the female characters on love and how to dress? :P

That being said (or beaten into the ground), Rotor as a character bores me. He's smart, handy with electronics, and acts as a group brain, and that would be fine and dandy if Tails wasn't fulfilling that role already. And even when I did see him in a story he usually said something relating to something he was working on before disappearing altogether. Not really exciting to say the least. So to hear that he's of a gay orientation doesn't necessarily interest me, it just sounds like it got thrown on in some failed attempt at adding a depth to the character that was never really quite there to begin with.

Secondly, while I'm well aware that both DC and Marvel have a handful of openly gay characters in their comics, I'm not quite sure it'd be the best for Archie if this ever were to have gone through. I always thought they were more strictly geared towards younger children and tweens with wholesome "family" values, with family being denoted to specify a nuclear, heterosexual family. Not saying that they can't since I did read up on how Penders apparently said that SEGA was alright with the idea of subtle hints to this. I'd expect to see something like this happen in one of Archie's own titles first before spreading out into licensed works like Sonic. I'd want to see that they as a company were expressing a more liberal view on this as opposed to just having it only in a licensed work, which could leave them open to saying how the views in this particular work don't represent their views as a company.

P.S. - Before anyone hits me - I know that not all gay people act like I mentioned in my first paragraph. I was just trying to illustrate a commonly perceived stereotype.

Edited by KittyNakajima
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

To be honest, Rotor was the 'tech kid' in the first place, as far as SatAM and subsequently Archie goes, so to say that Tails 'already' fulfils that role is kinda unfair to Rotor since Tails kinda usurped that role from him ^^;

Anyway, I think you have the wrong end of the stick. Of course Rotor isn't supposed to wear gay pride shirts and be a snappy dresser etc. In fact, it's the exact opposite; an illustration of how gay people (for the most part) aren't really ANY different from hetero people. It was meant, I'm sure, to be deliberately subtle.

Also, no, being gay doesn't necessarily make Rotor more interesting, per se, but it is a point of interest, in that it would be something new that we've learned about him. We know from Sonic Jam that Tails likes mint candy; is it really relevant? No. It's just a piece of trivia to learn about him. Same with Rotor being gay.

And as for 'wholesome family values', heh... There's not so many nuclear families in Archie. We DO have married teenagers, serial flirts, cheaters and a whole bunch of orphans, though. So I don't think the 2.14 children argument holds there ^^;

• Thumbs Up 3

When I said "family" values I was vaguely referencing their other original works such as the regular Archie and Sabrina serials. As far as I know the parents/adults of the main characters in the Archie series are all still happily married while the children are left to flirt amongst themselves. x_x

Overall I still sort of maintain the viewpoint that they're primarily showcasing values based around heterosexuality. The divorce/skirt chasing seen from time to time in the Sonic comics renders monogamy somewhat of a moot point.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

To be honest, Rotor was the 'tech kid' in the first place, as far as SatAM and subsequently Archie goes, so to say that Tails 'already' fulfils that role is kinda unfair to Rotor since Tails kinda usurped that role from him ^^;

Anyway, I think you have the wrong end of the stick. Of course Rotor isn't supposed to wear gay pride shirts and be a snappy dresser etc. In fact, it's the exact opposite; an illustration of how gay people (for the most part) aren't really ANY different from hetero people. It was meant, I'm sure, to be deliberately subtle.

Tails usurped nothing. Archie / DIC were the ones that decided to expand the universe far more than they should and major inconsistencies are the result. There's already trouble as it is when they try to stay true to the original work, let alone when they pull a maverick fanfiction.net move. Also, Tails is shown as piloting an aircraft, getting it to work again after being shot out of the air and attaching a booster on it quite quickly in Sonic 2. It's obvious he should have some techy knowledge back then. But every tv show besides the OVA and X completely forgot this part of characterization.

I still think including only one gay character (and his partner), along with him being the tech member, the purple one (as it weird as it is, this IS a sterotype), the fifth wheel of the Freedom Figthers, the one that is ugly, uninteresting to the majority of the fanbase, has no role in the overall story besides some unimportant snippets here and there, and finally using the age card for his partner is a cheap way to include gays. They should've included far more than just a couple, otherwise it reinforces the idea that it's not normal at all, and not treat it as a big deal either. Oh it's a kid's comic. Then they shouldn't go down that road to begin with.

Edited by redmenace

Could you explain "values based around heterosexuality" then, Kitty? I don't know what homosexual 'values' are any different from hetero 'values' to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 1

So who cares if a cartoon walrus is a raving homosexual? I think that it makes absolutely no difference whether he drops anchor in poo bay or not - he'll still be the same lousy sub-character to me!

Poo bay? Lol, you vulgar bastard.

• Thumbs Up 1