Awoo.

Red hot walrus lovin'

Indigo Rush

[image]

Credit to Toby for finding this.

Can't stop laughing.

And Mahzes reckons he was a sub.

If he meant sub-machine gun then perhaps he'd still be right.

STC got away with the whole gay couple thing eleven years ago lol.

Granted it wasn't actually alluded to in the comic itself (of course, neither was the whole deal with Rotor), but Nigel Kitching mentioned it once on ye olde STC Mailing List. The two characters in question were Blockhead Bill (Mighty's dad), and his 'business partner' Society Max. They were only minor characters really (although despite their five issue span, I still found them a heckuva lot more interesting that Rotor, heh), but tis still a neat little tidbit.

I only started picking up the Fleetway STCs by around issue #150 so I missed the opportunity to collect a hard copy and analyse that for myself. Shame.

I don't really get the point of pointing out characters are gay though.

I mean, I certainly don't mind when there's little hints thrown in the comic here and there (certainly not as the prime focus though, but I say the same about any couples, homosexual or not; the abundance of romance is something that's always niggled at me with Archie), but it always seems a bit odd to me when they come out and say it seemingly out of the blue. And I say this as someone who love love loves finding out these little random facts about the characters lol. I just don't like it when they play things like this up as though it's supposed to suddently make a character more interesting, cos it really doesn't. Not for me, anyway. I guess that's because I couldn't give a hoot about someone's sexuality though, fictional or otherwise.

Well society still considers sexuality to be a big deal, so of course it gravitates attention. Perhaps a Word of Gay seems out of the blue because the trait may be very well settled into the author's mind as they play out the character, but of course the readers can't actually know unless it's explicitly alluded to. Hence, I suppose whether or not a casual mention seems sudden depends on whether you're the reader or writer. Lastly, I disagree that the decision to make a character homosexual is something intended to list in a character profile just to get people interested in them: it's just that people are more likely to raise a brow over their sexuality than, for example, they're favourite foods. Sadly I can imagine some writers exploit that knowledge for the wrong reasons, though I can't think of any good examples of where this has happened.

Presumably, you don't go from being brothers to lovers overnight.

Really? I guess the fanfiction I've read is wrong then.

Wait, what's this about Mighty's dad in STC?

My collection is all a mess now (all out of order) and I can't particularly be bothered to dig through it. Anyone got scans? I want to see if it was even hinted at at all in the story itself, or it it's just Nigel having a bit of fun afterward.

Also, that Rotor pic made my morning.

Edited by Mahzes

^ It isn't alluded to in the comic at all, and frankly I'd have had no clue had nobody mentioned it. But perhaps Nigel was just having a laugh, you never really know lol. It was an old old ooold post on the STC Mailing List. I just went and dug up the exact quote: Did the fact that he [bill] was probably having a homosexual relationship with his posh friend come across? Probably not since I didn't allude to it.

He might have just been kidding about though, although I seem to recall him saying something about it again later on the STC-O forums... can't seem to find the posts in question on there at the mo though, so don't quote me on that.

Either way, it's not much different than the whole situation with Penders and Rotor considering that wasn't actually made apparent in any of the issues and I doubt any of us would have really known had he not came out and said it.