Awoo.

'HeadCannon' CONFIRMED for 'Sonic Origins Plus'

DaBigJ

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

DaBigJ was awarded the badge 'Sonic News Tipster' and 30 points.

Straight from the horse's mouth, Headcannon has confirmed that SEGA has let them come back to work on Sonic Origins Plus! In addition to their work on bringing Amy to all four titles (with sprite work done by Son of a Glitch!) and implementing Knuckles in Sonic CD, they have also confirmed that they'll be updating and 'enchanting' the games to be the best they can be!

What do you hope they fix? Does this news make you feel more hyped for Origins Plus? I know it makes me more hyped!

• Thumbs Up 6

Can't help but laugh at the rumor mill of SEGA supposedly burning bridges with these folks. Some people are way to quick to believe fluff just because it lines up with their personal beliefs.

Stealth had this to say as well:

• Fist Bump 1

It's so good to hear that Headcannon and SEGA's working relationship is not just continuing, but progressing further than it was before. Massive props to everyone involved for doing the right thing, and how the situation has allowed the devs with the most passion for the game to speak their piece and have an input on the game's development; it's really the only way to progress forward and hit the highs that us fans are expecting from a series with a legacy like Sonic's.

These tweets in particular have me really hopeful for what they have pitched as suggestions for the game itself

Suggestions, feedback, and openness are absolutely the correct response any company should have towards legitimate issues raised by fans and devs. It would have been better if the initial release recieved this feedback and polish to begin with, but hopefully this is just another step in SEGA as a whole making further steps towards handling their projects correctly with hindsight being as immediately relevant as it is right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

The talk and details they go into about the sprites do make me consider the potential possibility that we really will be getting a proper super form for Amy that isn't just blinking in and out white.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if they got a chance to suggest anything for the 8-bit games. Lotta work that could be done to make those things more playable.

...nah, probably not.

3 hours ago, The Deleter said:

It's so good to hear that Headcannon and SEGA's working relationship is not just continuing, but progressing further than it was before. Massive props to everyone involved for doing the right thing, and how the situation has allowed the devs with the most passion for the game to speak their piece and have an input on the game's development; it's really the only way to progress forward and hit the highs that us fans are expecting from a series with a legacy like Sonic's.

These tweets in particular have me really hopeful for what they have pitched as suggestions for the game itself

Suggestions, feedback, and openness are absolutely the correct response any company should have towards legitimate issues raised by fans and devs. It would have been better if the initial release recieved this feedback and polish to begin with, but hopefully this is just another step in SEGA as a whole making further steps towards handling their projects correctly with hindsight being as immediately relevant as it is right now.

A few enhancements hmm?

Please PLEASE let this be the ability to sprite swap between games that was found in the code. Please give me an official way to get rid of Sonic 3s sprites in favor of literally anything else.

Yeah, great to get official confirmation from Stealth. 

I'm definitely more excited now that we know their involved.

"Alongside SEGA’s work in updating the collection, we were also able to supply a few additional updates and enhancements to help make the title the best it can be! We appreciate their openness to our feedback and suggestions" 

The fact that Stealth has said they were able to supply a few additional updates and enchancements and SEGA's openess to their feedback sounds promising.

Wonder what updates Stealth has made? At the very least I hope the incorrect implementation of the Drop-Dash in S1, 2 & CD has been fixed and the collision in 3K has been tweaked along with mini-bosses in MG & CN which have issues in the vanilla release.

Origins has a laundry list of minor issues with each game that just keep stacking and stacking until the entire package became less than the sum of its parts. I'm glad they're going to tweak the game further.

Pipedream is the replacement tracks in Sonic 3 are swapped with the original prototype tracks or something better. The MIDI quality music they used is unacceptable.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, LegoFedora said:

A few enhancements hmm?

Please PLEASE let this be the ability to sprite swap between games that was found in the code. Please give me an official way to get rid of Sonic 3s sprites in favor of literally anything else.

THIS! …except the opposite for me 🤣 

In general, the option to sprite swap would be amazing though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I really wish Sega would’ve just delayed this a year and not put it out in its original state, it just hasn’t worked out for them, same shot with Colors Ultimate. Obviously I’m overjoyed things are getting fixed and we can finally have what can be said is the definitive official way to play these games but damn man how many times is Sega going to learn the lesson of “don’t put out shit that’s not finished”?

I wonder if this update will also make the game run a lot smoother on PC. That'd be really nice for lower-end stuff.

Well, they seen happy and excited about it on those tweets. 

I might dig Origins for support reasons mostly. Maybe one day they can finally make Mania 2.

I'm not going to give Sega charity for fixing problems that shouldn't have been there to start with, but I am at least glad that Origins finally seems to be coming into being the definitive version of all the classics it was originally pegged as. Hopefully they give more customizability to the player, because I can't say I care for some things in Anniversary Mode, but I do want to keep widescreen at least.

They’re back!!!

Here’s to pondering if they’ll also make another original entry, with 50% or fewer returning stages.

Wow, what a change in attitude compared to post-launch last year haha. :goof:

Good to see that Headcannon is happy about the feedback being heard and the continued collaboration with SEGA. Doesn't seem like they're touching the GG stuff but moreso helping out with tweaks to code and character additions, hopefully this means they get another stab at the S3K engine as I remember them saying they weren't too pleased with how it turned out.

Quick thought (don't know if this has already been mentioned), but the boxart says "New Playable Characters" - which could signify that it is more than just Amy that has been added.

Of course, it could just mean Knuckles has re-intergrated into Sonic CD. However, a playable Metal Sonic skin would make for an excellent Bonus as then we would have 2 extras for this collection like Ray and Mighty were for Mania Plus.   

56 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

Quick thought (don't know if this has already been mentioned), but the boxart says "New Playable Characters" - which could signify that it is more than just Amy that has been added.

Of course, it could just mean Knuckles has re-intergrated into Sonic CD. However, a playable Metal Sonic skin would make for an excellent Bonus as then we would have 2 extras for this collection like Ray and Mighty were for Mania Plus.   

Origins also mentioned "New Playable Characters" in it's trailers, and that was only referring to Tails and Knuckles.

1 hour ago, DaBigJ said:

Origins also mentioned "New Playable Characters" in it's trailers, and that was only referring to Tails and Knuckles.

Really? Ah, thats a bit of a dupe if so. 

Not necessarily.

For a lot of people, Origins will be the first ever 'remastered' experience for these classic games. Not everyone plays the decomps or the mobile releases, after all.

I'll agree that it's not very accurate to advertise characters like that, but it also makes a tiny bit of sense.

I mean, it's only in small text on the final screen of the trailer as well as on the box  - but it doesn't really refer to anyone in particular, which is what made me initially ponder. 

But, yeah I'd agree it's not entirely accurate to advertise them as new playable characters (regardless of the player base standings on the series being old or new). As across the collection of games as a 'whole' - Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have always been playable anyway to varying degrees in these titles - so only Amy is specifically new to this package.

That's why I find the conspicuous wording a little bit off (if it's just Amy). I mean, Sonic Frontiers also advertises the playable characters that are coming on it's roadmap - but we know what the deal is here... saying that, a lot of people seemed to think SAGE was also going to be playable, so perhaps it is just the Marketing team that need to be a lot clearer in general actually.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 8:08 AM, Multikaris said:

They’re back!!!

Here’s to pondering if they’ll also make another original entry, with 50% or fewer returning stages.

Here's hoping! The Origins ending cutscene had me hopeful, but then again it does play that little Mania snippet in the music near the end, which could just mean "Hey Mania is meant to be next".

While I'm biased and would love more, as well as more Mania Adventures episodes, it went down well with the masses too. You would think with all the positive reaction and reviews, as well as the assumed decent sales, they would have started looking into a sequel or follow-up huh?

• Thumbs Up 1