Awoo.

How do you typically complete Sonic CD?

SolidSurgeTT

Do you:

• Just beat the game
  • Beat the game with all the Time Stones
  • Get a Good Future in every level (meaning you smash the roboticizers until you have all the Time Stones)
  • Smash every roboticizer in every level regardless of whether you have the Time Stones or not
  • Smash the roboticizer AND destroy the Metal Sonic hologram

For me, it is like this: I get all good futures and smash the roboticizers until I get all the Time Stones in the Special Stages. I also destroy the Holograms too. Once I have all the Time Stones, though, I go back in time just to destroy the Holograms.

• Thumbs Up 2

I normally smash all 14 roboticiers & all Metal Sonic holograms (I like seeing the flickys roam free) in order to get the good ending.

Or I do what @ShinyGemsdoes.

Occasonally I smash all roboticiers and collect the final time stone at the end of Metallic Madness act2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interestingly, I only ever went after the Time Stones. For decades, I always thought that was the only way to get the Good Ending. It was probably the late 90s when I first played Sonic CD. I played it on an original Mega CD, but it wasn't new at the time.

This was all way before the internet became commonplace and secrets were much easier to learn about. I did still occasionally come across the Metal Sonic holograms and robotizers by pure chance but never knew of their importance until much, much later.

I enjoy the special stages, but the regular stages are too easy if you aren't going for the robot transporters, so my general play is to go for the robot transporters, but time special stage 7 so I go to it on Metallic Madness 2, performing both good ending requirements in one playthrough.

Another way I played through the game one time was a result of my disatisfaction with never really getting to - nor having any reason to - see everything in one playthrough stage design-wise.  For that, I used the level select and challenged myself to collect 100 rings and clear the stage in every time zone of every stage.  Really gives you more of a chance to enjoy the unique music and visual design of every single part of the game without just aimlessly exploring (since no matter how you play, there really isn't any particular reason to visit either future outside of Act 3s).

What is most surprising to me about Sonic is how changeable one's playing style can be no matter how many years we have been playing them!!

The other day some sort of "pulse-style" began to happen, where it was almost turn-based, sort of what is described in some of the manuals about stopping and observing the level and badniks and then making a move. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, expansivelovestories said:

What is most surprising to me about Sonic is how changeable one's playing style can be no matter how many years we have been playing them!!

The other day some sort of "pulse-style" began to happen, where it was almost turn-based, sort of what is described in some of the manuals about stopping and observing the level and badniks and then making a move. 

I agree with you as well everyone has different playing styles when playing the Sonic games. I do my first runs on Sonic 1 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles then I used the debug mode just for fun because It makes the games more Interesting and messing around with debug mode options. Also I used the level select because l love to play my favourite zones (levels) 

• Thumbs Up 1

All time stones, robot generators and Metal Sonic holograms. Also a visit to the good future on every act so I can enjoy the fruits of my labour and experience more of the soundtrack, I also make sure to visit the Wacky Workbench angel. Oh and lost but not least: I'm playing with the greatest video game soundtrack ever scored in the background. no prizes for guessing correctly because it's not even close.