Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #63 - Official Reveal

Sonictrainer

Got some awesome covers and info for Issue #63

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #63: Covers

FuNRS7DWwAA0OpX?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FuNRjZwWYAM6o4f?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FuNbl-6WIAEiZGP?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Cover A was created by Gigi Dutreix
  • Cover B was created by Reggae Graham (Love the Frog Forest Cover!)
  • Cover Retail Incentive by Nathalie F

Sonic the Hedgehog #63 Solicitation

Stuck in the past with no clear directive, Silver decides to spend some time with the Diamond Cutters and their new member.

But he's too busy being star-struck over Whisper to notice that he's interrupting their training!

Elsewhere, Sonic takes Blaze sightseeing so she can enjoy her vacation.

• Expected Release Date: July 2023

• Thumbs Up 3

• The title was changed to Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #63 - Official Reveal
2 hours ago, Slashy said:

This sounds like the creative team has completely run out of ideas.

I'm not sure what people expect. 

The creative well can only go on for so long before it runs dry. And with corporate mandates and just the changing and streamlined nature of the franchise going forward, we're not going to have a whole bunch of Archie-like distractions to divert attention from the fact that ultimately, this franchise is just about a speedy blue hedgehog beating on an evil mad scientist while spouting quips with maybe a few tweaks to the formula here and there. 

This comic could last until issue 500, but the basic set-up isn't going to change and the book is going to look exactly as it does now with the same story beats. It is what it is.

• Confused 1

Wow those covers for Issue #63 look amazing and definitely need a vacation as well the team. Looking forward to that In July.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is mostly what I want from the comic at the moment, interaction based stories with different characters, visiting new places and have more fun adventures.

At least it should fix the problem with "fight fight fight" storylines. This is more relaxed.

My gripe with this is Mimic's disguise is really basic, making the cast look stupid if they don't figure it out. But still, I'm glad Mimic and Clutch are getting more stuff to do, thankfully Starline is dead and Eggman is done for now so we can focus on these side villains.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, AmbroseSimpson said:

I'm not sure what people expect. 

The creative well can only go on for so long before it runs dry. And with corporate mandates and just the changing and streamlined nature of the franchise going forward, we're not going to have a whole bunch of Archie-like distractions to divert attention from the fact that ultimately, this franchise is just about a speedy blue hedgehog beating on an evil mad scientist while spouting quips with maybe a few tweaks to the formula here and there. 

This comic could last until issue 500, but the basic set-up isn't going to change and the book is going to look exactly as it does now with the same story beats. It is what it is.

The series lets you do almost anything. Sonic has more story potential than Doctor Who and that series has been around for decades.

"At least it should fix the problem with "fight fight fight" storylines. This is more relaxed. "

You can do this in so many ways than having shallow and what it looks to be from the preview, uncreative storylines.

You got this from the annuals, but the annuals were always hit and miss because the shorter runtime means the writers rely more on comedy and they often are not very funny. It tends to be on the same level as what I would find on Twitter.

I am not sure how they get out of this creative slump that seems to have happened after issue 56. From what I have seen Flynn seems to work best when he is given some sort of template to work with and struggles when left to come up with his ideas entirely on his own.

I think this comic needs a writer with many new ideas that can come in write several stories then give Flynn so much to work with that he can write the kinds of stories he is best at again.

• Confused 1

I don’t want to judge this too harshly based on the synopsis, but it is sounding really tame. Both in stakes and how interesting the premise is in general, though there could be room for some good character interactions. Still, it makes me wonder what the plan is for Mimic here. He’s only vaguely in the synopsis and he’s relegated to an alternate cover, so is he going to get enough focus? I’m personally a big Mimic fan for how ruthless he can be, and it’s a great time for him to come in considering Whisper’s character arc. I hope that they make good use of that, whether in this issue or a later one (though the disguise being so obvious could really make it a drag if they kept this up). I’m hoping they’ll be able to use him as a clear marker in Whisper’s progress, and not as a throwaway encounter.

Honestly, I think the majority of IDW Sonic's content has been tame more often than not, so it's not surprising to see yet another tame story.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Unamused 1

1 minute ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Honestly, I think the majority of IDW Sonic's content has been tame more often than not, so it's not surprising to see yet another tame story.

I think it's because SEGA has such a hard grip on this series, that it's hard for any of the writers to really go all out with these stories.

Sonic and Blaze cover too much ground not to stumble into something. You can't go 10 steps in Sonic's world without stubbing your toe on some sealed away deity.

Nothing wrong with slowing down the pace for an issue or two, and we get some more of those delicious character interactions we've been screaming for for god knows how long. Sonic trying to get someone else to stop and smell the roses sounds like a good time (and would be a solid follow up to her convo w/ Knuckles to actually allow her at least a small bit of on-screen R&R), and Geeked out Silver is probably the best version of the character - and we get that too.

• Thumbs Up 5

15 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Sonic and Blaze cover too much ground not to stumble into something. You can't go 10 steps in Sonic's world without stubbing your toe on some sealed away deity.

Nothing wrong with slowing down the pace for an issue or two, and we get some more of those delicious character interactions we've been screaming for for god knows how long. Sonic trying to get someone else to stop and smell the roses sounds like a good time (and would be a solid follow up to her convo w/ Knuckles to actually allow her at least a small bit of on-screen R&R), and Geeked out Silver is probably the best version of the character - and we get that too.

I'm honestly glad we are having an issue that slows down the events of the story, because I really wanted to see a story where Sonic and his friends just relax for awhile.

According to Evan Stanley this and the following issues (up to possibly 67) will have backup stories. In this case, referring to the Sonic and Blaze one. So it's not a B-plot like the solicit could have been implying.

Aside from annuals naturally having multiple stories, it's been a while since Sonic comics have done this I think?

• Thumbs Up 1

I was wondering if we'd ever get backup stories again. I kind of like them.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Razule said:

Some issues where nothing big is happening would be a good spot to slot Frontiers into the timeline. 

Frontiers could have been placed between the gap of 56-57. This just sounds really boring and I would defend slice of Life elements more than most

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Confused 1