Awoo.

Are there already fanmade versions without the Score/Rings/Time/Lives text?

expansivelovestories

@Indigo Rush @TheOcelot  

This is something i would ask about on Sonic Retro if i were a member there but i feel like there are plenty of people here who might know too!!  

It's definitely an interesting idea and if it doesn't exist yet hopefully it is an easy edit that many people could become interested in creating somehow!!

(I don't have Origins to know if it's already an option in that to turn off displaying them, but i haven't read anything about it being this way?)

The original 8 and 16 bit games as well as many of the 3D games don't actually require the Score/Rings/Time and Lives to be visible for the games to be playable.  it's literally iconic to have them there, but i was realizing, how would playing through the older and newer classics be if the visual environment was even more emphasized by hiding the text??  it would feel more immersive in unique ways i think!! 

Especially in the 8 and 16 bit games they do block some of the pixel art and make the actual visual experience of the game quite different than if it were made invisible!!  🙂 🙂  

I could dig something like this, dynamic HUDs are generally always preferrable.  If it was customisable, I'd have the ring count appear next to Sonic as rings are collected (and fade away quickly), with time being briefly shown in a similar way when passing a checkpoint.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ehh, I don't know, JezMM. I think it would be more distracting if it keeps popping in and out.

Overall I don't think Sonic's HUB was ever a big deal. As you play, you really don't think about it being there, you're way too focused on the action.

BUUUUUT at the same time none of the information is that important (in most situations. Time would matter if you're speed running for example).

So the best option would be the ability to turn on/off, preferably with 1 click of a button.

• Thumbs Up 1

There aren't any versions of the original games that remove the HUD as far as I'm aware, official or otherwise. If the time limit were removed and score wasn't counted, then you'd only need to know the ring count anyway. Might be worth experimenting with.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Ehh, I don't know, JezMM. I think it would be more distracting if it keeps popping in and out.

In my head, I'm likening it to the boost meter in Frontiers for example - having it appear when relevant and next to the character so it's not distracting your eyes to the corner of the screen.  The current time appearing in the middle of the screen just for checkpoints is something several 3D Sonic games already do as well, so it feels right there.

Just my preference!  In an ideal version of such a mod, all this would be customisable down to the individual element as to when they appear, if they appear, and where they appear.  Another idea would be rather for every ring, just let you know every 10 you collect so you have a rough idea as to how many you have.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

There aren't any versions of the original games that remove the HUD as far as I'm aware, official or otherwise. If the time limit were removed and score wasn't counted, then you'd only need to know the ring count anyway. Might be worth experimenting with.

Ok!!  this is good and intriguing to know!!

i think i'll try to join Retro and mention it somewhere politely!!

edit: i tried to sign up and it wasn't working too well but something better happened!!  i found that there is a discord for SHC!!  i think someone there will be interested and know how to do it, unless it's somehow not possible!!    

3 hours ago, JezMM said:

I could dig something like this, dynamic HUDs are generally always preferrable.  If it was customisable, I'd have the ring count appear next to Sonic as rings are collected (and fade away quickly), with time being briefly shown in a similar way when passing a checkpoint.

this is making me think about how starposts are an aspect i haven't seen turned into multiple versions in fangames or ROM edits yet!!  there might be more room for making them more mysterious or dynamic in fangames than in ROMs but plausibly both.  Consider for example if there were other types of items that could be picked up that would react to the starposts and open different other zones!!  Perhaps ancient types of starposts that would react to artifacts gathered in the same or other zones, including special zones/stages!!   

21 hours ago, expansivelovestories said:

Ok!!  this is good and intriguing to know!!

i think i'll try to join Retro and mention it somewhere politely!!

edit: i tried to sign up and it wasn't working too well but something better happened!!  i found that there is a discord for SHC!!  i think someone there will be interested and know how to do it, unless it's somehow not possible!!    

this is making me think about how starposts are an aspect i haven't seen turned into multiple versions in fangames or ROM edits yet!!  there might be more room for making them more mysterious or dynamic in fangames than in ROMs but plausibly both.  Consider for example if there were other types of items that could be picked up that would react to the starposts and open different other zones!!  Perhaps ancient types of starposts that would react to artifacts gathered in the same or other zones, including special zones/stages!!   

I think at this stage you've gone from a simple aesthetic mod regarding the HUD to pitching entirely new game mechanics that sound cool on paper but need more substance and thought to really flesh out into something that will be a good play experience.  If your plan is to go to modding communities and hope that people will just make a thing for you, you're kinda shooting for the stars there and would be better off researching into modding and game development yourself.  Generally speaking it's bad etiquette to just expect people to spend their free time making the content you want as well, so even the HUD idea is a long shot really even though it sounds so doable.  Just something to bare in mind - don't get your hopes up - it's really no different from asking artists or musicians to make free stuff for you.

I mean by all means give it a try, but if nobody is interested, the better route when reaching out to these communities may simply be to ask for help on where to get started in learning how to mod the games yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

In addition to what @JezMMsaid, if you seriously wanted to make this a thing, your best bet is to put together a pitch of sorts to concince someone it's worth the effort. The only people who'll do it for free are people who want to do it, too. To get that off the ground, you need to establish connections and learn what it takes to pitch an idea and make a proof of concept or something. A minimal HUD is still work, no matter how easy it seems.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh!!  @JezMM I didn't know that writing would be interpreted as something i was asking for anyone to create, your post just inspired me to consider the possibilities of what hasn't been done yet!! 

I did actually have very good luck on the SHC discord, MainMemory is there and she made a GameGenie code that removes the HUD from Sonic 3 & Knuckles!! 

It is way, way better than i had been hoping. 🙂 🙂  these screens i posted in the discord are both good examples: but they also don't express what actually moving through the zones feels like without the static cling of the text and number overlays.  It's because there isn't anything clashing with the effect of the camera panning, and the environments have become more immersive to experience!!

sandois.png.5cee98e7b461569465c6123cd71e8de7.png

additional!!.png.307fd6b2d6ad29677a9d8108f997fdf9.png

I've been noticing moments where my eyes would normally quickly look away from the character and environment and towards, for example, the ring amount, which is interesting!!  The game experience, considering that it's some of the best pixel art and level design of its kind, is really special.  i'm hoping that more will come of this; and i think i can post the code here, but i will ask MainMemory's permission first!! 🙂 🥰

34 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

Oh!!  @JezMM I didn't know that writing would be interpreted as something i was asking for anyone to create, your post just inspired me to consider the possibilities of what hasn't been done yet!! 

I did actually have very good luck on the SHC discord, MainMemory is there and she made a GameGenie code that removes the HUD from Sonic 3 & Knuckles!! 

It is way, way better than i had been hoping. 🙂 🙂  these screens i posted in the discord are both good examples: but they also don't express what actually moving through the zones feels like without the static cling of the text and number overlays.  It's because there isn't anything clashing with the effect of the camera panning, and the environments have become more immersive to experience!!

sandois.png.5cee98e7b461569465c6123cd71e8de7.png

additional!!.png.307fd6b2d6ad29677a9d8108f997fdf9.png

I've been noticing moments where my eyes would normally quickly look away from the character and environment and towards, for example, the ring amount, which is interesting!!  The game experience, considering that it's some of the best pixel art and level design of its kind, is really special.  i'm hoping that more will come of this; and i think i can post the code here, but i will ask MainMemory's permission first!! 🙂 🥰

It looks so much better without the HUD the pixel art the background environment It's a completely different game altogether and can appreciate the characters details as well.

It makes a huge difference as well Instead of looking at the text for example the score time etc. It looks Incredible and focussing on the characters the level and details as well 😊👍

• Thumbs Up 1

upherevery!!.png.dae1e3a73082fad3fc1d0dd09480b86c.png

Yes; I think it is because i travelled to a remote area with Knuckles, by spindashing back up the very beginning of the Marble Garden hill, and the text was blocking so much of this unique view; that after as many years of playing and not finding the HUD to be obstructing a more clear experience, it finally clicked that something else must be possible and maybe it had already been considered by others and created!! 

MainMemory made the code somehow in less than twenty minutes after i mentioned the idea in the discord!!    She is one of the most experienced in the whole community with understanding the games' code, so that is part of why it didn't take long, but!!  it means it's possible. 

So with some kind of tutorial of how to find the HUD display code area within a ROM, a list of codes could be gathered.  Then for Mania and Mania mods, i feel like people who do that could turn off the HUD easily too!!   

18 hours ago, expansivelovestories said:

upherevery!!.png.dae1e3a73082fad3fc1d0dd09480b86c.png

Yes; I think it is because i travelled to a remote area with Knuckles, by spindashing back up the very beginning of the Marble Garden hill, and the text was blocking so much of this unique view; that after as many years of playing and not finding the HUD to be obstructing a more clear experience, it finally clicked that something else must be possible and maybe it had already been considered by others and created!! 

MainMemory made the code somehow in less than twenty minutes after i mentioned the idea in the discord!!    She is one of the most experienced in the whole community with understanding the games' code, so that is part of why it didn't take long, but!!  it means it's possible. 

So with some kind of tutorial of how to find the HUD display code area within a ROM, a list of codes could be gathered.  Then for Mania and Mania mods, i feel like people who do that could turn off the HUD easily too!!   

Oh man that looks so good without all the distraction. Really good idea, I wonder why nobody did that before.

I'd love to play that way myself! Would you mind sharing the code and how to use it? Please shoot me a PM, thank you. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

i'm happy that it was only a week ago that this didn't exist!!  i was able to join Retro and posted a thread about it there a couple of days ago!!

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/hud-visibility-toggling-via-gamegenie-for-a-cinematic-mode-is-real-now-s3k.41764/

with a lot of help from both Indigo Rush and JezMM, and Giova(nni) on the SHC discord on how to write a clean summary of what it is without being overexcited!! 

here are a two more example screens!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 1