Awoo.

Which game console generation was Sonic's best?

batson

The answer is patently obvious, so lets have some fun:

3rd generation. Straight up.

Sonic wasn't around in the 3rd generation...

My favorite console generations are 4th and 6th. 4th was what started it all, and had lots of classics like Sonic 1-3, S&K, and Sonic CD (my favorite of the 4th gen). And then the 6th generation had the godly SA1 and SA2.

There were Master System Sonic games. Though, I'm guessing Tornado was joking..

I know that, but still...

And yes, Tornado HAD to have been joking, because the MS ports of Sonic 1 and 2 were garbage.

And yes, Tornado HAD to have been joking, because the MS ports of Sonic 1 and 2 were garbage.

Garbage is such a lovely descriptor. It allows the complete invalidation of someone's opinion without any real effort being given to explain why.

And, BTW, a game is not a "port" if the only thing the two share is the title. You might as well call STH '06 an port of Sonic 1 if you are going to call Sonic 2 8-bit a port of Sonic 2 MD.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The 8-bit games had some style of their own, they're totally different from the numbered series on the Genesis. I wouldn't argue that it's an era, because they came out next to the 16-bit titles. But lots of my early experience with Sonic was on the Game Gear. 8-bit Sonic 2 is one of the best 8-bit games I've ever played, and the most polished by far out of the handhelds. I dunno why they went to the Sonic Chaos style when that game was so good.

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf

I wouldn't argue that it's an era, because they came out next to the 16-bit titles.

In the context of this thread, I would. The OP explicitly mentions console generation. Even if that wasn't the case, what other way would there be to separate the completely-unrelated (barring Spinball and Mean Bean Machine) 8-bit Sonic games from the concurrent 16-bit ones? If I think the 8-bit games are the second best (and I do), how would I put that down in relation to the OP? Saying they are 3rd gen games satisfies the OP, and is technically accurate as well.

Edited by Tornado

I believe it is a tie between the fourth and sixth generation. Dreamcast was awesome, but so are the classics. Gamecube was okay. Sonic adventure two battle was one of the best games I have every played on the gamecube. Playstation two, Sonic wasn't very popular in that department. Classics on mega drive, pure awesomeness. It is the feel of just going that fast makes my spine tingle. All are very good though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1