Awoo.

IDW Solicitation for 900th Adventure and two other comic issues in Sonic the Hedgehog

Shiny Gems
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into IDW Releasing Two Sonic One Shots, Plus a Silver-Centric Issue This August at some point.

51 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Endless Summer…to be honest, eh. I’m beginning to grow to the point that I feel like Tangle and Whisper are getting a bit too much spotlight. I really like both characters, don’t get me wrong, but it just feels like they’re usually the shoe in for standalone ties ins, or their own plotlines in the main series, and I feel like it could’ve been nice to give the story to other characters who don’t get much spotlight, if the synopsis is true that it’s only Sonic + three diamond cutters.

I saw someone say something similar to this on Twitter so I think people are definitely getting tired of them being in nearly every story arc. I know they're fan favorites but it's a little ridiculous when you have characters like Knuckles and Shadow having nearly 2 years between their appearances in the main comics. I'm sure I'll enjoy the one-shot issue itself but tl;dr yeah I wish they'd do something new with the characters or just give them a break for a while.

Spoiler

I'm kinda annoyed they got paired up with the Babylon Rogues again - the only time the Rogues have actually shown up in the main series as far as i remember was for the end of the metal virus saga, outside of that they only show up to antagonize the Diamond Cutters for some reason.

As for the other one-shot, 900 does just seem like a random big number they chose - though if you count the individual episodes from each tv show (AoSTH, SatAM, Underground, X, Boom, and the 8 episodes Prime currently has = 321) and add it with the total someone got above of 647 you actually do get a count of way over 900. Have to wonder if that was on purpose, though as someone else mentioned there's also a buttload of other comic spin-offs... maybe they didn't include some stuff? I still don't think it means anything, considering it seems entirely irrelevant to the actual premise of the one-shot. Looking forward to the Elson cover, at least, assuming it is the same guy who did Sonic the Comic.

12 minutes ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Pepe Sylver the Hedgehog. 😆

Silver: Blaze, half these people have been made up. This universe is a goddamned ghost town.

Sorry, but I had to say that.

10 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

I was curious as to what happened to the Warp Topaz

Here Is more Information about the Warp Topaz https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Warp_Topaz It tells you a lot Info about the Warp Topaz and the arcs to It as well If you have forgotten like myself sometimes.

I immediately noticed that Silver claiming there is a traitor on a team is a maybe non intentional callback to Archie, however here it sounds more conspiracy theorist. Silver may also be mistaken for "jealous" (he fangirls over Whisper) that the new guy might have an interest for Whisper as well, since it sounds like he's Mimic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm always excited for more of this comic so "Hurray!" will always be my default reaction.

I suppose I understand the issue with seeing Tangle and Whisper all the time. It does feel slightly reminicent of what my personal issue with the Freedom Fighters was in Archie though nowhere near as prominent. Even their little Diamond Cutters thing doesn't feel as intrusive to the adventuring aspect as I worried it might, so far. It's also not a huge deal because we actually are indeed getting a lot of the other characters now. The Babylon Rogues seem to only appear in one-shots funnily enough.

However, I would appreciate an adjustment to the spacing out of appearances a bit. I had time to miss Whisper for a bit and it was good to see her again when she showed back up. Feeling the same way about the Chaotix right now but that's always me and the Chaotix.

Like, I wouldn't be as bothered if it were them constantly showing up instead... but that's also just kind of how having favorite characters work so whatever.

I don't see any actual problems with these though. They all look cool and fun and they're really nice covers.

• Thumbs Up 2

900 is 100% just an arbitrary number just for the sake of marketing and I honestly don't care enough to see if its legitimate or not... especially since you'd think they would have saved this for "1000 Adventures" but *shrug* Don't have much to say about the issues themselves, more Sonic stuff is always nice and the fans who like this stuff will be satisfied. 

I'm not even bothered by how much focus Tangle, Whisper and Jewel get because who the fuck else are they gonna use, the only other heroic characters available are the game cast and they're basically stuck in their personal status quos personality wise. So of course the writers are gonna use the characters that they themselves created and actually have some creative freedom to play around with them. Sucks if you're looking for something more substantial for the other characters, but this is what we got as our main Sonic book for better or worse. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's still a marketing tactic which was my point to begin with, but ok. 

2 hours ago, Mauro Fonseca said:

900 is not an arbitrary number.

I'm looking forward to seeing the math that went into it, almost as much as the stories themselves

• Thumbs Up 4

Personally, I think we’re looking into it too much and it’s just a number within universe, rather than a out of universe count. Even counting all of the comic issues require extreme generosity, since quite a lot of those issues are actually the same adventure. Like, if we’re going to count the Metal Virus saga as each issue being a ‘adventure’, does this mean we do the same for something like Adventure 1? Does every place Sonic visits count as a new adventure? What about the other stories?

Otherwise, stuff like the Metal Virus saga, or Test Run, or The Shattered World Crisis, they’re typically billed as their own arc and adventure, much like any game is counted as one long adventure.

As I say, I just think it’s a excuse and plotting device to justify another big issue in a series that is helping keep IDW afloat right now. Maybe I’ll be wrong come the issue release, but it does feel like the last month, we’ve had a lot of attempts to make random issues seem grand and big.

• Thumbs Up 5

So what does the actual 900th Adventures means then? Are they referring to the games and comics combined themselves or something else? I'm a bit confused on what they are referring to here. Or Is It just the actual 900th Adventure milestone Sonic just hit on his adventures?

I truly, honestly, without hyperbole, don't see a problem with this.

If the issue comes out and it's great I'll be happy to have more random, big, special issues in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/12/2023 at 10:02 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Endless Summer…to be honest, eh. I’m beginning to grow to the point that I feel like Tangle and Whisper are getting a bit too much spotlight. I really like both characters, don’t get me wrong, but it just feels like they’re usually the shoe in for standalone ties ins, or their own plotlines in the main series, and I feel like it could’ve been nice to give the story to other characters who don’t get much spotlight, if the synopsis is true that it’s only Sonic + three diamond cutters.

I'm kinda reaching that point myself too. I never disliked them, but they just keep showing up which is getting tiring. At least they gave Belle a rest. I'm unsure on Lanolin. From what we're seen of her so far, she seems rather generic, but I say that knowing it's too early to judge.

Kinda like a echo of the games, Cream hasn't been used in a while. She and her associated group would work well for a stand alone story. A slice of life moment for Eggman would be nice and refreshing too. Are they allowed to use Eggman Nega(tive?) How about Marine? Or further fleshing out the Deadly Six? Would Sega allow IDW to tell stand alone stories in Pachacamac's timeline? It'd be a nice call back to Adventure. How about Shadow on the ARK? They are trying to unify everything but most of what we see is only talk. Let's see G.U.N again or Sticks since she apparently exists in the main universe. I'm not gonna suggest something crazy like Silver racing Waluigi in the Winter Olympics.

I'm just spit balling ideas for characters that are barely used or not used at all over here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Endless Summer will obviously be a simple fluff story, so no "fleshing out" anyone here.

I second that IDW Gals need a little break. Or at least give them new people to interact with. Shadow and Whisper. Tangle and Cream. Jewel and Charmy. Belle and Omega.

• Thumbs Up 6

11 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I truly, honestly, without hyperbole, don't see a problem with this.

If the issue comes out and it's great I'll be happy to have more random, big, special issues in the future.

Same here as well having more random special Issues In the future and the more welcoming IDW Sonic comics contents keeps coming.

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Endless Summer will obviously be a simple fluff story, so no "fleshing out" anyone here.

I second that IDW Gals need a little break. Or at least give them new people to interact with. Shadow and Whisper. Tangle and Cream. Jewel and Charmy. Belle and Omega.

Honestly, yeah. I am beginning to agree with this. I get they're best friends, but it is beginning to feel like Tangle and Whisper are a package deal who always need to be together if they appear, with Jewel as a optional tag along.

Even if it was new dynamics like Whisper and Shadow forced to work together, or even back during one of the annuals where we had Tangle work with Rough/Tumble. But it's usually just the same dynamic in a different scenario.

I do still think they're reaching the point of severe overuse, but even dynamic shifts could work wonders rather than them teaming up with Sonic for the umpteenth time. 

It also doesn't help that I do feel like they have been reaching for plot points lately too. In particular, the whole drama that emerged about Tangle using the Diamond Cutters as a name in the current arc felt fairly contrived too and was resolved just as quickly, seemingly just to introduce a conflict into that particular subplot when there was already the general growing pains of them being a new team. Just felt kinda rushed to me, so it's also a measure of them feeling overused and what we are getting presently not really being as good as earlier stuff like the original miniseries or even Issue 24 to me. Hope they switch things up soon 

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Omega and Belle could potentially be hilarious. I'd be totally up for that.

It did seem like they were setting up something between Shadow and Whisper but might've held off due to the weird Shadow mandates. Now that I think about it, the two do have a couple of things in common. Both aren't really open about their feelings, often work alone and were motivated by the tragic murder of friends. Both....like using guns too, I guess... lol

3 hours ago, DanielJ said:

Both....like using guns too, I guess... lol

I didn't though of that, but Shadow using Wshisper's Wispon would be kinda cool

• Promotion 1

On 5/12/2023 at 11:58 AM, Red Hot Jack said:

One more one shot:

Also, lol:

I love this, IDW Sonic is starting to be one of the most multifaceted comics, they really are having all types of stories, from the horror to the dramatic, to action, sad plots, big sagas and fun one shots, side characters mini series, bombastic interaction based stories. I honestly am loving this variety, shows we can have both long sagas and fun adventures with the cast.

I really want to get into reading the IDW comics, but comic reading is a VERY expensive hobby, maybe I'll do it over the Summer perhaps? My dad is was a big comic book reader at the time, so he could probably teach me some things about it.

Ok, I'm trying to get into the comics myself but I don't understand the numbering system IDW is using.

Are they releasing individual issues and THEN grouping them into books? I work at a public library and I see the books, and from what I gather looking at their website it seems like the individual issues get compiled into the books. Am I right or just clueless? 

And holy mother of purple I had no idea Archie did so many, but of course.