Awoo.

After Sonic movie success, Sega says it could adapt other IPs for the big screen

sonicclaasic
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into SEGA Interested in Making More Movie Adaptations of its IP at some point.

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

sonicclaasic was awarded the badge 'Sonic News Tipster' and 30 points.

Following the success of the Sonic the Hedgehog movies, Sega has said it’s interested in the possibility of adapting other IPs for the big screen.

Sega Sammy CEO Haruki Satomi and CFO Koichi Fukazawa were asked about the possibility of making non-Sonic movies during a Q&A session following the publication of the company’s full-year earnings in April.

“We would like to take on challenges outside of the Sonic IP should the opportunity arise,” Sega said in a newly published English transcript of the event.

View full story from video game chronicles

Frankly? I don't care.

1) Sega neglected their Genesis IPs. Streets of Rage, Ristar, or Golden Axe are niche and won't bring 1/10 of Sonic's attention. Saturn and Dreamcasts titles might be in an even worse position.

2) That leaves the newest IPs. Bayonetta, Yakuza, Persona. And frankly, I don't think any of them NEEDS adaptation. They were born in HD era and told their stories as they wanted, often through gameplay. Maybe Live Action Bayo could work (get easier to-follow story) but how would they adapt action scenes?

You could ask if I want something, even if logically it won't make money. Night Intro Dreams BUUUUUT must have a whimsical, mystical style. No Disney/Pixar/Illumination, definitely not live action. I'm talking Ghibli movies, or Cartoon Saloon, maaaybe Laika

• Thumbs Up 2

House of the Dead, but go with the Overkill Grindhouse vibe. Perhaps if they want to have a 15 or 18 certificate. 

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Frankly? I don't care.

1) Sega neglected their Genesis IPs. Streets of Rage, Ristar, or Golden Axe are niche and won't bring 1/10 of Sonic's attention. Saturn and Dreamcasts  titles might be in an even worse position.

2) That leaves the newest IPs. Bayonetta, Yakuza, Persona. And frankly, I don't think any of them NEEDS adaptation. They were born in HD era and told their stories as they wanted, often through gameplay. Maybe Live Action Bayo could work (get easier to-follow story) but the budget for action scenes would be astronomical.

You made some great points here I agreed what you said here as well and I respect your opinion.

Wasn't there talk about Space Channel 5 and another franchise that I can't remember getting a movie?

If this means also crossovers, even though this has nothing to do with SEGA games, I also wanted to mention I would like if Sonic had a crossover with Transformers in movies maybe, since both are under Paramount and I'm currently binging Transformers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, if they can use some of their IP (for instance the Genesis one, Yakuza, other ones, etc) to create an excuse to more action movies outside of the Super Hero genre, I would be happy about it. Many of the SEGA old IP are inspired by movies, so a lot of them would be quite easy and interesting to adapt in movies.

Now I agree that none of their IP are as strong as Sonic, so it's not something that'll bring a lot of money, for it to work they should bring back the IP first if it's a "forgotten one", and even with that it wouldn't do as much as Sonic. But many could have interesting stuff to be done with them.

NIGHTS could work....Neil Gaiman's The Sandman on Netflix was superb. Cgi etc is there to do it justice. Be keen to see that tbh

Honestly I’d be down to see any of the IPs come back as a movie, movies are a great medium to bring older things back into popularity!