Awoo.

Think SEGA would ever Kill off a Main Character?

juiceDpunk983

What I mean by main character is, someone like Silver or Knuckles (extended cast). I'm not saying I hate any character or want to see any bite the dust. However, I do wonder if they would ever Kill off a character for story purposes.

In SA2 Shadow died but came back in Heroes. Imagine if a character did die like Knuckles for example, how would the rest act? Which character would be the most likely for SEGA to pick?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, juiceDpunk983 said:

What I mean by main character is, someone like Silver or Knuckles (extended cast). I'm not saying I hate any character or want to see any bite the dust. However, I do wonder if they would ever Kill off a character for story purposes.

In SA2 Shadow died but came back in Heroes. Imagine if a character did die like Knuckles for example, how would the rest act? Which character would be the most likely for SEGA to pick?

That's a really good question this Is. It's made me think to your question If they choose Tails for example I would be devastated because he such a cute little guy to me and a legendary classic character as well when he first got Introduced In the Sonic 2 game.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, sonicclaasic said:

That's a really good question this Is. It's made me think to your question If they choose Tails for example I would be devastated because he such a cute little guy to me and a legendary classic character as well when he first got Introduced In the Sonic 2 game.

I really hope they don't ever kill Tails (Even if it is unlikely). If they did, I would be devastated, since he's my all-time favourite character, and I believe he deservers better than to just be killed off, or otherwise retired in any way.

But alas, I fear that after Frontiers' Wave 3 DLC, we may not see Tails, Knuckles or Amy in a "mainline" 3D sonic game for a very long time, given that game's ending.

1 minute ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I really hope they don't ever kill Tails (Even if it is unlikely). If they did, I would be devastated, since he's my all-time favourite character, and I believe he deservers better than to just be killed off, or otherwise retired in any way.

But alas, I fear that after Frontiers' Wave 3 DLC, we may not see Tails, Knuckles or Amy in a "mainline" 3D sonic game for a very long time, given that game's ending.

Same here I don't think Tails Is going anywhere because we all love Tails and nobody wants to see Tails go It will break 💔 our hearts If we see him go. I have been a long time fan like myself and you mentioned as well. Since when Sonic 2 game came out.

I got figures, Plushies of Tails as well to remember him and other Sonic fans around the globe to. 

• Nice Smile 1

SEGA doesn't even have the balls to do something like make a 3D game without dumb restrictions and/or automation, what makes you think they could kill off Tails 

I'm pretty sure the characters are too fundamental to the story to kill any of them off. Though they really should have let Shadow rest in SA2. That would have been a much better story (of course, personal opinion.) I've nothing against the character personally, but like they did with E-102 Gamma in SA, leaving Shadow in SA2 would have given it much more meaning, I think.

1 hour ago, DaBigJ said:

SEGA doesn't even have the balls to do something like make a 3D game without dumb restrictions and/or automation, what makes you think they could kill off Tails 

Honestly Tails has actually been used a lot as a victim of Eggman's traps in the Meta Era, such as the whole purple beam thing in Colors, him being experimented on in Lost World.. There is reasons why they might let it happen, at least temporarily or for only 1 entry.

Also, the game designers have no say in how the writing or story goes so you can't compare the level designers or whoever works on the game itself to the writing and story. There have been multiple occasions where the story of a game was spectacular, but the gameplay was not so great.

12 hours ago, SynthSt0rm said:

Honestly Tails has actually been used a lot as a victim of Eggman's traps in the Meta Era, such as the whole purple beam thing in Colors, him being experimented on in Lost World.. There is reasons why they might let it happen, at least temporarily or for only 1 entry.

That's what makes me think Tails would be the most likely to be killed off. I don't care if its only for "1 entry" if that 1 entry takes years and years to make, that's a lifetime in the world of video games, and I'm not waiting the best part of a decade to see him again!

The only reason I would be on board with something like this is if they decided to do some spin-off material with Tails, although even that seems unlikely, sadly. 

Sonic characters exist to make money and dead characters stop making money. They won't kill off anyone who's been around for any length of time.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 5/23/2023 at 11:38 AM, juiceDpunk983 said:

I don't think they'll ever kill off anyone but if they did it would probably be tails, mainly because it'd have the most emotional impact but like I said, SEGA will never kill off anyone like that, ever, lol.

2 hours ago, Metal Sanic said:

I don't think they'll ever kill off anyone but if they did it would probably be tails, mainly because it'd have the most emotional impact but like I said, SEGA will never kill off anyone like that, ever, lol.

Can we please not give Sega any ideas?!

• Nice Smile 1

I guarantee you that if they ever did, it would be written in a way to where it would not have the impact that they'd probably want it to.

8 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Can we please not give Sega any ideas?!

lolll they won't do anything.

Hmm.  I dunno.  These characters are lol so lovable and popular in their own ways, it would be hard to see Sega do any of them in.  Even Eggman.  If they killed him off, I’d be heartbroken because I think he’s a fun silly dolt.

I think the most likely candidate if they did would be Shadow, because he’s had such a tortured confusing life and death would reunite him with Maria.

• Thumbs Up 1

At best, they’ll make an alternate setting a la “Death of a Hedgehog” to kill off a character.

In their main setting? Good luck expecting that. It could  happen and shock us, but it’s not very likely.

Hell, let’s say it is likely. They’ll likely do what comics do and resurrect that character somehow. I wouldn’t leave everything to chance these days.

After the lengths they went through to justify how Shadow survived after SA2 I have no faith they'll kill off any significant character. 

... and that all happened before they tightened the leash on how their characters are handled.  

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s actually kinda funny how they went through such lengths to make you reach the true final boss of his game to hear how Shadow survived and there was a much simpler way they could’ve explained it while still making a game about exploring more of Shadow’s past.

For the type of stories fans want this series to have...you would hope they'd have the knockers to kill off a main characters.

They don't and it will forever make me sad.

It's probably a good thing the OP clarified because what first came to my mind was "Sure, any new character."

The Sonic franchise isn't the only one guilty of this, but a common trope is a brand new character not making it to the end of their debut story. Gamma was SA1, Shadow was gonna be SA2, you could argue Chip in Unleashed and...

Spoiler

Do we still spoiler Frontiers stuff? I would count Sage. Sure, it was a fake out death since they took it back after the credits, but I still count it as it's just as annoying, if not, more annoying than the self sacrificing trope itself.

Did you know that the Paper Mario franchise has done the "New Partner sacrificing themselves" trope four times in a row!?  Ironically, the only time they faked it out and brought the partner back was with the most annoying one!! (Kirsti in Sticker Star.)

Back to the subject.

In all honesty, I don't think they would do it. But that is a boring answer and just makes me look foolish for only coming here to say that. But also...

I saw that! Some of you think they'd kill off Tails!? Doing that would bring with it some severe consequences to Sonic himself. It's the same reason they couldn't possibly kill off Amy. Tails (And Amy) is able to handle themselves (When allowed to by the writers.) but also heavily represent the very thing Sonic strives to protect. As in, the innocent. (Another way to put it is Women and Children. People we strive to protect as an evolutionary instinct.)

For Tails or Amy to be killed off, that also has to be considered as the ultimate failure by Sonic. Now you might think otherwise since Shadow "died" on his watch, but Shadow was his equal and very independent. While he clearly regretted Shadows "death," it wouldn't hit him as hard as losing somebody like Tails or Amy.

At least, that's what I think.

Now to be brutal. Sega should kill off Cream. It would be incredibly dark to do so and would even invoke the very thing I just suggested they would avoid. But.....they aren't using her so they might as well. I mean...I don't hate Cream. I feel sorry for her. But I guess we might see her in a game again if they're still making Mario & Sonic at Olympic Games. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I just don't think it adds much value. You kill off characters when it's necessary to the story, theme, or an existing character's arc. It made sense for Gamma to blow up in SA1 because he was integral to the theme of valuing life and freedom in that game, something Sonic spells out in the ending. It made sense for Shadow to die in SA2 because his arc was complete, and his sacrifice prompted some reflection on the part of the other characters. If you're killing off Tails or Amy, it's because you need to have it effect Sonic somehow, and...well, exactly what are we doing to Sonic here? He's not really meant to go through any big changes or paradigm shifts because he's built to be the protagonist of a long-running series. If it's about his flaws, then you'd need to carefully establish what those flaws actually are, which the series is not consistent about (and which fans will push back on, if the response to Prime is any indicator). But this would all have the consequence of emotionally-torturing your fun hero in your colorful children's game, and it just looks more and more dower no matter how you spin it. Sonic is more likely to let himself die than any of his friends.

Like, it seems like a lot of people want Sonic characters to die either because they think it would make people respect the series' storytelling better (it wouldn't) or because they just want to get rid of a given character. Those are not good reasons! Death doesn't always have good reasons, but that doesn't mean it should be abjectly meaningless.

• Thumbs Up 3

After a bit of thought, I reckon Sega would pick Omega. Not saying I hate Omega (he's actually one of my favourites) but since he's a robot, it's easier for Sega to kill it off, might even give Shadow a bit of an edge too, to avenge him.

I don't think they'll off Tails. If they were gonna kill off someone, I bet it would be one of the least popular characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

They will eventually do it on rare occasions, if there's a very special context that allows for it to make sense, but it will always be a temporary thing. Sonic has been already killed twice (06, visual novel), and returned, in a way or another.

Seriously and permanently killing any of the recurring characters? That will never happen, for a big amount of reasons.

The worst they can do is to silently stop using a character, and even that might not be a permanent thing (some "forgotten" or "retired" characters have returned at some point).

On 5/26/2023 at 8:12 AM, Shaddy Zaphod said:

If it's about his flaws, then you'd need to carefully establish what those flaws actually are, which the series is not consistent about (and which fans will push back on, if the response to Prime is any indicator).

What exactly happened with Prime that the fans pushed back on?

I have my own gripes with Prime, but I’ll admit that I have not been involved in any discourse on Prime, so I have absolutely no knowledge on the responses toward Sonic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but had an afterthought.

Given that Sonic is generally marketed to children, I don't see SEGA killing off any characters. If anything, it will be a sort of soft death like roboticization in SatAM/Archie Comics. The reason they got away with E-102 Gamma is likely because he was a robot, and we're all used to robots being destroyed. 

If they ever did decide to go that route, it would be very dramatic and give the fanbase another thing to argue about for a very long time... 

• Thumbs Up 1