Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater (MGS3 Remake) & MGS Master Collection Vol. 1 (PS5, X/S & Steam)

TheOcelot

Just announced at the PlayStation Showcase:

"Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater" which is a remake of Metal Gear Solid 3.

Coming to PS5, Xbox Series X/S and Steam.

https://www.konami.com/mg/mgs3r/us/en/

We are remaking Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, one of the most beloved instalments of the METAL GEAR series, revealing the origin story of Snake, as METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER. We are working hard for METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER to be a faithful recreation of the original story and game design, while evolving the gameplay with stunning visuals and a seamless user experience.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.99180a009655df771fed3a89273c49b0.png

image.thumb.png.ed4c6006e443397bfab50f20152ecdc7.png

image.thumb.png.c0d1267a6f242a3ddc4da52e6d508b2e.png

image.thumb.png.dff40da710c09786ed4d2f5adc516148.png

AND:

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1; featuring remasters of MGS1, MGS2 and MGS3. Coming Autumn 2023:

image.thumb.png.641d4ec7d716f59d533089d002d7043e.png

Simultaneously, we will deliver the METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION series, the most complete compilation that celebrates the 35th anniversary of the series. The METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION allows fans to play the games as they were, as first released on the latest platforms.

METAL GEAR SOLID- Master Collection Version

image.png.b475b275303290def9134a302b47ee7b.png

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: Sons of Liberty- Master Collection Version

image.png.8e2bc9ada93fecc79fad91219794d0d7.png

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: Snake Eater- Master Collection Version

image.png.96b3007698b57e407489e9e3e2717694.png

So hyped.

Hopefully they'll do a Vol. 2 collection featuring remasters of MGS4, Peace Walker and some of the other MG games such as Portable Ops.

• Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater Remake & MGS Master Collection Vol. 1 Announced

What does the triangle mean? Dunno if I'm bring dumb.

Want to see it in action first, sceptical since Kojima won't be involved but open to liking it. 

Good to get the first 3 on PS5 too, I still have them on Ps2 and 3 but nice to still get them.

• The title was changed to Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater (MGS 3 Remake) & MGS Master Collection Vol. 1 Announced
10 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

What does the triangle mean? Dunno if I'm bring dumb.

The triangle represents "Delta" which is the fourth letter in the Greek alphabet. Which apparently means "difference" or "change" in mathematics.

• The title was changed to Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater (MGS 3 Remake) & MGS Master Collection Vol. 1 Announced (PS5)

The fact that they're including the original 3 in the collection, leads me to believe that hopefully this remake will have some divergences to make it stand out against said original.

• The title was changed to Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater (MGS3 Remake) & MGS Master Collection Vol. 1 (PS5, X/S & Steam)

The original voice actors are back. Nice. Lookimg forward to David Hayter (please don't do Old Snake again, like you did in Peace Walker for some reason dude) and Josh Keaton (the meow is my favourite line).

• Thumbs Up 1

At least two of them though (Jim Ward and Michael Bell) have retired, so unless they recycle their voice clips i'm not sure about everyone coming back.

Also, do we know what versions of 2 and 3 are included in the collection? Like, are they the PS2 versions or the upscaled ones of PS3/360? I doubt stuff like the skateboard minigame or the nightmare sequence will return, but just to know.

As nice as it is to see Hayter back, it is kinda funny that Konami’s idea of proving they know how to handle the franchise sans Kojima, instead of a new game divorced from its creator with its own ideas and identity, is to….remake the beloved iconic title created by the man in question. And I’m sorry, knowing Konami, I ain’t getting my hopes up this will be a better metal gear experience, since all I got to work off of with their resume post Kojima, is Survive lol. Gonna be a tough sell trying to divorce him from something like this, even if he’s not working on it, given how synonymous he is with metal gear 

Just give me Revengance remastered honestly 

Also waiting until it’s inevitably revealed konami scrubbed Kojima’s name from the remasters (okay that’s probably not actually likely, or legal, but it wouldn’t surprise me all the same) 

3 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

At least two of them though (Jim Ward and Michael Bell) have retired, so unless they recycle their voice clips i'm not sure about everyone coming back.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time that actors have slightly come out of retirement for a specific project.

3 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

Also, do we know what versions of 2 and 3 are included in the collection? Like, are they the PS2 versions or the upscaled ones of PS3/360? I doubt stuff like the skateboard minigame or the nightmare sequence will return, but just to know.

My biggest wonder honestly, is if they'll touch up Metal Gear Solid 1 in the remastering department. 

I wonder if they'll add the full 360 camera to MGS2 like they did to the Subsistence version of MGS3 so that we won't have to play with a fixed camera? Would also be a neat feature to add to MGS1.

I'm happy MGS3 is getting a remake but they probably should have started with MGS1 which needs and deserves a remake way more than the other games IMO.

They’re including the MSX versions of MG and MG2. And the VR missions, and the versions of 2 and 3 will be the HD collection versions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably the best outcome possible. It is still a shame stuff won't come back like the nightmare, but it could have been worse.

2 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

I'm happy MGS3 is getting a remake but they probably should have started with MGS1 which needs and deserves a remake way more than the other games IMO.

Tell me about it. MGS1 looks absolutely rough in those screenshots.

15 hours ago, KHCast said:

As nice as it is to see Hayter back, it is kinda funny that Konami’s idea of proving they know how to handle the franchise sans Kojima, instead of a new game divorced from its creator with its own ideas and identity, is to….remake the beloved iconic title created by the man in question. And I’m sorry, knowing Konami, I ain’t getting my hopes up this will be a better metal gear experience, since all I got to work off of with their resume post Kojima, is Survive lol. Gonna be a tough sell trying to divorce him from something like this, even if he’s not working on it, given how synonymous he is with metal gear 

Just give me Revengance remastered honestly 

Also waiting until it’s inevitably revealed konami scrubbed Kojima’s name from the remasters (okay that’s probably not actually likely, or legal, but it wouldn’t surprise me all the same) 

Is that really a bad thing though? Metal Gear as a franchise had it's conclusion with V. I feel like people would prefer just doing remakes and revitalisations of the core franchise that followed Kojima's vision (more or less), rather than shoving half-hearted attempts to revive a finished franchise ala Survive.

Like I get it, Konami is awful, fuck them, rotten company, but shit like the Master Collection is just a objectively good thing, game preservation and making these older titles available for new generations and new and old fans is just a plain good thing. If anything, I'll give Konami begrudging credit for releasing the original version of 3 alongside the remake's announcement, rather than just making Remake the only way of playing the game. Even Master Collection is pretty good with the confirmation that it's MG1, 2, MGS 1-3, and even VR Missions included.

@Ryannumber1gamer

I think the collections will be good. If it isn’t silent hill, konami tends to be good at re-releasing games and making decent collections, like the original metal gear collection. If Kojima’s name is kept in tact in those, vs being scrubbed out because konami is a petty bitch, I’ll give them credit where it’s due. 

I still need convincing with regards to the remake however. Konami’s output, even outside metal gear, has typically been pretty ass, and they got quite the mountain to climb over if they want to position this remake as the new definitive version of MGS3, that replaces Kojima’s masterpiece of an original 

On 5/25/2023 at 4:24 AM, KHCast said:

Remakes are a fairly common way to train up a new team before taking on a big and original project. That's pretty much the main reason I think why they chose to pursue a remake first, rather than an original stealth title. There's no "MGS team" right now, so a new you can't just bring up any old group of developers to make a new one.

On 5/25/2023 at 10:00 AM, TheOcelot said:

Same, I'm also annoyed there's no MGS4 in yet another collection. Please don't make the same mistake for Vol. 2 Konami.

22 hours ago, Mega said:

I wonder if they'll ever rerelease Twin Snakes, since IIRC that's still gamecube only.

Twin Snakes is such an odd anonymity. I honestly wonder of they even really consider it a proper remake as opposed to a remaining these days.

On 5/27/2023 at 10:31 AM, Nintendoga said:

Same, I'm also annoyed there's no MGS4 in yet another collection. Please don't make the same mistake for Vol. 2 Konami.

I honestly wonder if MGS4 is just doomed to be forever banished to the PS3 realm.

I wonder if there’s legal hangups with Sony in regards to MGS4, cause didn’t they work directly with Sony on certain aspects of it? Hence stuff like that Blu-Ray advertisement from Otacon in the game? If they’re trying to make these collections multi-plat, I can already assume getting MGS1 OG on other stuff is a pain enough, since that NEVER left PlayStation whenever we saw a collection. 

Much like Twin Snakes has lines referring specifically to Nintendo-published games, MGS4 has multiple dialogues talking about specifically the PS3 from different characters. On paper, these could be fixed with re-recording the lines (iir all the voice actors involved are still alive and in business) and altering the footage (which is something that Konami is already doing for the stock historical photos/videos for the re-releases of 2 and 3 for the collection) but i wonder if at that point MGS4 is warrant an entire remake like 3 or not. Maybe they're testing the waters for that purpose.

If MGS4 is not going to be released due to difficulty emulating/porting PS3 hardware then a remake will likely be the only option. Not the biggest fan of 4, very boring and lacks good replay value compared to the other games. So a remake would be the perfect opportunity to add better level-design, improve the story, weapons system and codec. 

Regarding the new collection; What extra game do think Konami are teasing on their website with the "+?" (see below). Well...assuming it is another game. I'm sure it's not MG 1&2 as they we included in the 2011 HD collection, MGS3 Subsistence version and we already know they will be playable in this new collection. I see no need to tease Peace Walker as it was released as part of the 2011 PS3 HD Collection (also I'm assuming MGS4 won't be included). Perhaps they are teasing the inclusion of a more obscure title such as the Twin Snakes version of MGS1?

image.thumb.png.96fbb91baef371cc858ef5679aaeb2bd.png

Konami has confirmed the Snake Eater remake is being developed by Konami and supported by developer Virtuos:

I'd go with lower expectations and say it's still MG1+2 just selectable separetly from a main menu rather than having to go to the internal menu the HD collection had.

If the behavior with Castlevania is anything to go by, i'm expecting Peace Walker to be included in a portable-themed collection along with Portable Ops, Ghost Babel and the Ac1d duology. That would leave out 4 and Rising from either collections, but i am confident the latter is gonna get a re-release on its own at some point.

Just reusing all the voice lines from MGS3 (which is what I was thinking was happening with the odd way Konami announced the voice cast) is perfect. It completely retains Kojima's artistic vision for the story (barring any RE4 VR arbitrary censorship), allows the game to be graphically updated and extremely minimizes Konami's ability to fuck everything up. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Trailer from the Nintendo Direct which confirms:

• Release date of 24/10.
  • The inclusion of Metal Gear (MSX), Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (MSX2), Metal Gear (NES) and Snakes Revenge (NES).
  • MGS & MGS2 Digital Graphic Novels, screenplay and master books, digital soundtrack and strategy guides.

This is starting to look like a good collection.

All of today's news sounds amazing, except the release date. October's a complete blood bath 😭