Awoo.

I’m going to Tokyo!!!!!

babsiwuff

So I’m going to Tokyo in September and Joypolis is like RIGHT near where I’m staying!!  Has anyone else gone?  Is it easy to win one of those gorgeous Tails plushies?  What is the store like?  How do you pronounce Joypolis? 

(Sorry I sound like Charmy!  XD. I’m just super excited!)

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Oh man, I love Japan! Have an amazing time, in general! 🙂 I’ve been lucky to go several times in the last 15 years or so, so if you need any advice or pointers I’m happy to help!

As for Joypolis, it’s a really cool indoor arcade/amusement park. There’s lots of generic attractions that have Sonic and SEGA branding (I’m not sure if it’s still there, but one example I remember from years ago was something called ‘Sonic Canball’ where you had to try and throw balls into flipping-open bins, and the bins had Sonic and Tails plushes stuck to them!) but besides that it’s a standard theme park fare.

There are two or three floors to it; ground floor has all the crane games, gift shop and the performance stage as well as a few photo op things (like a Sonic statue or a Christmas tree, that sort of thing) and IIRC there are a couple of large rides on ground as well, including an indoor rollercoaster - most of those rides will require points on a card (or you can buy an all-day pass but these are sort of expensive). If it’s still there, there’s also a 3D movie theatre showing Night of the Werehog.

Upper floors have more arcade-game like experiences, like a House of the Dead sit-in light gun shooter and a treadmill-based Sonic Athletics game for up to eight players.

The gift shop is really good these days as well, one of the very few places where you can get some decent Sonic merch in Japan!!! It never used to be that way though; the first times I visited in 2005 and 2007, there were no Sonic merch to buy at all really (except for like, tins of cookies). But now you can find COSPA t-shirts, art cards, stationary and all sorts. Spend some time there but watch your wallet - Japanese merch in general is expensive and you can rack up quite a bill!

Highly recommend Joypolis, it’s better with a friend/partner as a lot of the experiences are for couples/dates but you can get a lot of enjoyment on your own too. It’s worth spending a good chunk of the day there, or an afternoon/evening for sure.

When you say Joypolis is near your hotel, are you actually staying in the Odaiba area? I highly recommend the area surrounding Joypolis too actually. There’s some cool fashion stores along the boardwalk (including a series of weird indoor-market style indie shops in the area directly opposite the entrance to Joypolis, in the same building), a big Toys R Us and a huge ferris wheel. Odaiba is also where you’ll find Team Labs, which is one of the best digital art installations you can find in the world - highly highly recommend you try and get tickets to that too. 🙂

I’ll be happy to post some photos of my time at Joypolis tomorrow, I’m on my phone right now so it’s not easy. But long story short, Joypolis is awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh cool! Right when my own Japan trip is ending xD But you have a very cool time! 

I intended to go to Joyopolis on my stay in Tokyo, and my friends already wanted to go to Odaiba for the Gundam store and statue (the statue show being a recommendation, even if you don't know the show). But as it happened, we planned to go to Odaiba at 7, and Joyopolis closes at 7 on the weekdays! So, suffice to say, I didn't get to experience Joyopolis, and the 7 PM closure is a big heads up. 

Still, Tokyo was a great time! Just don't spend too much time in Akihabara lol Or better yet, don't go there unless you know of a good store/arcade there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

Oh man, I love Japan! Have an amazing time, in general! 🙂 I’ve been lucky to go several times in the last 15 years or so, so if you need any advice or pointers I’m happy to help!

As for Joypolis, it’s a really cool indoor arcade/amusement park. There’s lots of generic attractions that have Sonic and SEGA branding (I’m not sure if it’s still there, but one example I remember from years ago was something called ‘Sonic Canball’ where you had to try and throw balls into flipping-open bins, and the bins had Sonic and Tails plushes stuck to them!) but besides that it’s a standard theme park fare.

There are two or three floors to it; ground floor has all the crane games, gift shop and the performance stage as well as a few photo op things (like a Sonic statue or a Christmas tree, that sort of thing) and IIRC there are a couple of large rides on ground as well, including an indoor rollercoaster - most of those rides will require points on a card (or you can buy an all-day pass but these are sort of expensive). If it’s still there, there’s also a 3D movie theatre showing Night of the Werehog.

Upper floors have more arcade-game like experiences, like a House of the Dead sit-in light gun shooter and a treadmill-based Sonic Athletics game for up to eight players.

The gift shop is really good these days as well, one of the very few places where you can get some decent Sonic merch in Japan!!! It never used to be that way though; the first times I visited in 2005 and 2007, there were no Sonic merch to buy at all really (except for like, tins of cookies). But now you can find COSPA t-shirts, art cards, stationary and all sorts. Spend some time there but watch your wallet - Japanese merch in general is expensive and you can rack up quite a bill!

Highly recommend Joypolis, it’s better with a friend/partner as a lot of the experiences are for couples/dates but you can get a lot of enjoyment on your own too. It’s worth spending a good chunk of the day there, or an afternoon/evening for sure.

When you say Joypolis is near your hotel, are you actually staying in the Odaiba area? I highly recommend the area surrounding Joypolis too actually. There’s some cool fashion stores along the boardwalk (including a series of weird indoor-market style indie shops in the area directly opposite the entrance to Joypolis, in the same building), a big Toys R Us and a huge ferris wheel. Odaiba is also where you’ll find Team Labs, which is one of the best digital art installations you can find in the world - highly highly recommend you try and get tickets to that too. 🙂

I’ll be happy to post some photos of my time at Joypolis tomorrow, I’m on my phone right now so it’s not easy. But long story short, Joypolis is awesome.

I would love to see your photos!!  It sounds amazing!  And I think so?  It’s a Hilton that’s really close to Tokyo Disney.  (I’m going with a pal and he made the reservation, heh) 

I’m mainly sticking around Tokyo, but my friend wants to show me Osaka and Kyoto as well.  Which means I get to ride a bullet train!

don't mind me I'm just taking notes for when I eventually visit 😅

hope you have a great trip though!

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, babsiwuff said:

So I’m going to Tokyo in September and Joypolis is like RIGHT near where I’m staying!!  Has anyone else gone?  Is it easy to win one of those gorgeous Tails plushies?  What is the store like?  How do you pronounce Joypolis? 

(Sorry I sound like Charmy!  XD. I’m just super excited!)

That's so awesome you got Joypolis right near you. Have a Super Sonic smashing time and enjoy yourself as well. I'm rooting for you to win those Sonic plushies 😊

• Thumbs Up 1