Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog to be ported to the iPhone and iPod

Neo Hazard

Hey, I bet you like 16-Bit goodness, right? The simple days of blast processing and two controllers were all you need to have an awesome time, right? Well why not relive those days and buy Sonic the Hedgehog for you iPhone or iPod Touch!

Yes, once again, SEGA is releasing the original Sonic for something else for you to play on, just in case you don't have it for your cell phone, Xbox 360, Wii, or wrist watch. It's so comforting to know that a big company is looking out for you. :)

The press release is in this iPhone Gaming Network article.

Thoughts? Will you buy it again?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lucky

• Badnik Zero

• DMNBT

• Gatestormer

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, and the problem is... :rolleyes:

Personally I was very disappointed when I got my new ipod touch and I couldn't get Sonic on it because of the lack of click wheel, so this is great news for me. I think the controls can be made manageable enough, at least in the sense that they should be a lot more responsive this time round (precision platforming was absolute hell on the wheel version.)

Sonic 1 has been released an awful lot, possibly a few too many times even, but this one I approve of since until now a good deal of ipod users weren't able to play the game.

Edited by Tombi

I was worried that it would have motion controls, but it says it has touchpad controls. Plus they added a savestate feature. Should be great!

Alas, I'm one of the few people in the world who is iPod-less.

Usually I'd run out to the shops first thing if they released a Sonic game for something I didn't have, but even I'm going to skip this one. Unless someone randomly gives me an iPod or iPhone, of course. I suppose I can be excused though, considering I have the game on practically everything else already? XD I mean, it HAS been ported to death, and I'm sure it must have be re-released more than any game ever by this point, but it's still nifty to see it pop up on something else anyway, especially for the people who can benefit from it.

Didn't the original Sonic the Hedgehog 16-bit come out for the iPhone about six months ago?

Am I crazy, or is this old news? I thought I read reviews up on this.

It was definitely announced for the iPod a while ago, and I'm sure it came out. According to one or two people I spoke to anyway. To be honest though, I'm utterly clueless when it comes to the different types of iPods/phones, so I just sort of assumed this was another port to work with more modern versions? Sort of like how you get mobile/cellphone games designed for different models? =S The last article I read just said iPod and not iPhone. I'm sure someone'll laugh at me for this post, because I won't be surprised if it's completely wrong, but I just figured this was about... well, an update of sorts, so it was compatible with the iPhone and such.

Edited by Lucky Winters

Erm, I'd rather play Sonic the Hedgehog on my Genesis that still works, no offense to Apple. It's just when a game has been ported to death, it starts to lose it's appeal, and the ports weren't ever as good, and probably won't be, as the actual Genesis game, imo.

Epic! I was disappointed when I got my iPod Touch and found out Sonic was only for the clickwheel iPods and I always wondered by the iPhone group was left out.

I'm thrilled :D Can't wait!

^ Sega Mega Drive Collection? Better deal in the long run actually, since you get about 28 games including Sonic the Hedgehog.

I am so getting this. 8D

In regards to those saying it's already out, I have yet to see it. :x Unless you're talking about the one involving the wheel.

I got my iPod Touch and found out Sonic was only for the clickwheel.

Ahhh, that must've been it. Also what Tsuze said. This is the touchscreen version.

A bunch of my friends are Apple heads, but I can't keep their product releases straight in my head. :P

Edited by Badnikz

^ Sega Mega Drive Collection? Better deal in the long run actually, since you get about 28 games including Sonic the Hedgehog.

For some reason that game slows down on my PSP, I don't know why :(

I don't have an iTouch or iPhone. But if I did, I wouldn't bother getting it, since I've already got it on my classic iPod.

Old as shit news and has already been on the iPod. Not surprised this is making it onto iPhone, its a games system too, people.

Old as shit news and has already been on the iPod. Not surprised this is making it onto iPhone, its a games system too, people.

The press release came out in January, but it's just now being acknowledged, so technically it's not that old. Though, yes it's been out for the older model iPods, and no, it's not a surprise.

Edited by Neo Hazard

Why just Sonic 1 though? Why not Sonic R or Sonic Adventure? I think that Sonic Team/Sega should take full advantage of the ipods abilities. I mean the controls would work. You could just tilt it forward/back to make sonic do the same, and to make sonic go side to side just tilt it left or right. Press the screen to jump and press it again to do homing attack. For special abilities like light dash you could put a button on the screen, just make it big enough so the player won't accidently hit the jump button.

There's also I game on the ipod called Bugdom 2 that has arrows on the screen you push for controlling the character.

Edited by Jedidude

Yay! A Sonic game for my new iPod Touch! I can't wait! I will buy this straight away when it comes out! X3

Why just Sonic 1 though? Why not Sonic R or Sonic Adventure? I think that Sonic Team/Sega should take full advantage of the ipods abilities. I mean the controls would work. You could just tilt it forward/back to make sonic do the same, and to make sonic go side to side just tilt it left or right. Press the screen to jump and press it again to do homing attack. For special abilities like light dash you could put a button on the screen, just make it big enough so the player won't accidently hit the jump button.
If the device could even handle dreamcast games I don't see how you could play it accurately without analog control/face buttons. Edited by That Crazy Bat Guy

• 2 months later...

Mega bump!

The game was released today :D I downloaded it for £3.49, took hardly any time to download and from what I've played so far it's a damn good port. The controls take a little bit of getting used to (it was the first time I remember dying on Green Hill Zones' boss...) but once you get the hang of it I find it quite easy and simple.

I've never played the Megadrive/Genesis version myself, but unless every port since then has had downgraded graphics I think this iPhone version has had it's sprites updated, Sonic seems to look much clearer now then he did originally...but maybe I'm just going strange. I definitely recommend it for a download.

Bring on more games SEGA!