Awoo.

Dreadknux
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New 2D Classic Sonic Platformer Sonic Superstars Announced at some point.

SEGA has surprise-announced a brand new 2D Sonic game at Summer Game Fest 2023, called Sonic Superstars!

Featuring 3D models and environments and focusing entirely on Classic Sonic gameplay, Sonic Superstars will see Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy Rose go on a new adventure as they tackle Dr. Eggman in a scenario reminiscent of the 16-bit days… only this time, Eggman has help in the form of returning classic bad guy, Fang the Sniper!

According to IGN, the game will take place in a new location called the North Star Islands, which look like it’s going to be home to a whole lot of new gimmicks such as vines that shoot Sonic upwards, trees that the blue blur can grind along and chutes that work in a similar way to those found in Stardust Speedway.

Apparently the Chaos Emeralds are also back, and can be seen to unlock specific powers for Sonic and friends. We can see in one instance where the player makes clones of themselves, and another where the player travels up a waterfall using another Chaos Emerald power.

Sonic Superstars will be coming to PlayStation 5, PS4, Xbox Series X and S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC later in Fall 2023.

View full story

• Thumbs Up 7

Well, that was unexpected. Did anyone catch who's developing? I'd be doubly surprised if Sonic Team themselves were bring Fang back...

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't realise we had a separate area for news announcements within new topics now, oops lol.

Anyways, absolute hype. The visuals look stunning (Get screwed Sonic 4 lol). Playable Amy being here is great, and especially co-op. I have been wanting this since Rayman Legends in a Sonic game. Looks like a super cool game though, and I love some of the ideas being shown in these zones.

More importantly - NACK'S BACK

• Thumbs Up 3

This automatically puts my excitement above Mania because it actually looks like a completely new game and not something I've been playing for 20 years like it was with Mania.

4-player co-op knocked me out tho, goddamn

• Thumbs Up 6

Wow. Sega really kept this game to their chest.

So we have this game as well as more Frontiers DLC to look forward to.

Not a huge fan of classic gameplay so I’m not excited but I’ll definitely going to play this.

• Thumbs Up 3

First impressions are excellent. Show me what you've got, Sonic Team.

• Thumbs Up 4

A new 2D Sonic game that’s 3D that DOESNT look like another Gens asset flip???? Oh my god I’m dreaming.

Anyway this looks good, great even, psyched for Nack being back. I’m reasonably excited for the moment. I await more critical dissections of the trailers from the more obsessive sonic fans 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Blue Blood said:

Boosters and recoloured Green Hill. Confirmed for trash. 

Screenshot_20230608_204019_YouTube.thumb.jpg.f7272acfb3a3e38895f269c2072d44df.jpg

Jokes aside, this looks really nice. I wonder who's making it? Because those models and animations are leagues beyond everything that SEGA has used in the last 10+ years. The artstyle is gorgeous. 

The website says Sonic Teamimage.thumb.png.f49a1b9c743f7def0563c506a309df15.png

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm so glad we're getting another 2D game. It's been six years since Mania, so we're long overdue.

I like what I'm seeing so far. The four-player co-op looks good, I just hope it has online play.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh hell yes. 

I also like that Amy is playable from the off this time too.

My only slight concern is who’s developing this, hoping the level design is up to snuff for 2D Sonic (because apart from Mania - the history is not great), and of course the New Super Mario Bros Wii inspired 4 player that’s going on here. That’s a lot to take in. 

Hopefully this all works though, because it *looks* freakin’ gorgeous. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, at least there is no Dimps this time, despite the two speed boosters as @Blue Bloodmentioned. If it doesn't hurt to ask, whatever happened to Dimps making a Sonic game? Not that I would want them to make this.

• Thumbs Up 3

FyH83_gaIAAbal6?format=jpg&name=large

If Nack is here, do you think we'll see Bean & Bark as well?

EDIT: It seems Nack's getting the Eggman treatment, where his English name is getting reconned by his Japanese Name, Fang.

• Thumbs Up 3

love the looks, I'm still unsure if I'm excited because classic sonic in forces played like trash. classic in 3D has me always worried because they never got the feeling right so far.

• Thumbs Up 2

Website still seems to be showing a code name instead of Superstars...

Screenshot_20230608-204501.thumb.png.167dcb6a10b26ef5be6540380a3a53b5.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 5

I asked this forum once how they'd feel about a 2.5Dish Classic Sonic game. Most did not seem to think that would capture the classic feel.

This looks SWEET, though!

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Sonictrainer said:

FyH83_gaIAAbal6?format=jpg&name=large

If Nack is here, do you think we'll see Bean & Bark as well?

The website mentions this:

Navigate gorgeous, never-before-seen environments solo or with up to 3 other players and stop Dr. Eggman, Fang, and a mysterious new adversary from converting the islands' giant animals into Badniks before it's too late!

So no, not Bean and Bark. But Fang is a big win, and I'm excited to see who the new adversary is too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm wait a minute…do I have to sign up to their newsletter to unlock Amy Rose for this game? I hope that’s not true… =\

Sure I can subscribe but that’s an extra unnecessary step for me to play this character FFS.

The graphics are pretty nice but if I'm honest I don't see much classic sonic DNA in the stage design and gimmicks, it feels like a generic "old" 2D platformer throwback more then something definitively sonic. For some reason I just don't have great vibes. I'd love to be wrong though. Will try to keep an open mind.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, TheOcelot said:

Naoto Ohshima is involved according to GameInformer. Holy shit!

Motherfreaking...I mean motherfucking sweeeeet! I love the sound of this! I wonder what made him decide to come back?

• Thumbs Up 4