Awoo.

Dreadknux
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New 2D Classic Sonic Platformer Sonic Superstars Announced at some point.

At this point, I really don't know. I was liking some of the earlier clips (and initially had an entire writeup about the clip with the white chutes in that while it was automation, it was at least a different implementation of it than what we normally get with Sonic Team's works), but that Jungle Speed playthrough left me feeling some doubts again. There are some neat stage gimmicks going on with that first level, but they're overrun by the pacing and platform structure of the level, which really does feel like leftover work from one of the later Dimps Sonic games. It's easily the weakest level shown so far.

That said, I think the second level was better by comparison. The more vertical level structure and areas of the stage being shrouded in darkness allows the level pacing to breathe more. The section where the grinding rails exist on multiple planes is neat, and the playthrough even showed that the grinding rails actually function as regular platforms if you're moving slow enough. Moreover, they actually brought back something from the MD games I haven't seen in ages--vertical looping areas (aka "falling forever"), which (IIRC) is something I don't even remember Mania having having in its levels (I wouldn't be surprised if it's there somewhere, like in Chemical Plant or Titanic Monarch). The only real complaint I have with that level is that there are still some unneeded object placements that I think clash with the slower pacing.

The annoying thing IMO is that if Superstars really was some full-on Dimps physics/level design shenanigans going on, I'm sure I and several others would had caught it earlier on and would had inclined to immediately write the game off. But I'm still seeing plenty of things I like from a platforming standpoint that I'm willing to give Arzest some benefit of the doubt. I don't get a Sonic 4/Classic Sonic in Forces scenario where you literally have people in charge who don't give a shit about reproducing MD gameplay, or don't even care about making a varied/non-automated platformer, and are purely phoning it in. I instead get the impression that the designers here are legit trying, and are just missing the mark in certain places. Which, while I understand not being on board for that, I would still personally prefer over either designers who couldn't care less, or having absolutely no game at all in its place.

If nothing else, that White Park/Sonic 4 placeholder music is easily the worst thing about that entire video. You couldn't had picked a worse Sonic soundtrack to use if you didn't have or weren't allowed to use music from the game. Comparisons and attractions to Sonic 4 is the last thing this game needs in terms of reassuring the skeptics that the gameplay holds up.

Did they somehow put an unused Sonic 4 track to play during the boss battles? Because I've never heard that one, but it SCREAMS Jun Senoue, and no, not in the good way, I'm talking Sonic 4 way. It sounds repetitive and oddly drum heavy, which besides dying cats synths, was his style when he composed to 4.

For the love of God SEGA, you have fucking Tee Lopes on speed dial you maniacs.

Well let's hope he has merit in that statement and that the boss tracks in that direct feed is different from what he played.

Cuz otherwise I demand his Twitter account banned for such a criminal insult /j

2 hours ago, ZinogreVolt said:

Iizuka wanted to fill each stage with some moment of surprise, a la the famous stage set pieces from Sonic Adventure. The giant robotic sea creature seen in the trailer is one example of that.

Please keep doing that, interactive le epic moments in Sonic levels are such a rarity (not in Frontiers’ cyberspace levels, completely flat, lifeless attempts in Forces QTE events. Inject some style and flair again in this franchise 

• Thumbs Up 7

Y'know what I just realized?

I just realized Origins kinda ended up being a tease for Superstars.

That's cap and I mean that in a good way

9 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

There's pretty much no denying that. The weird focus on Amy was pretty much them making a promise that Origins Plus and Superstars would later cash in on.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

When not paired up with great instrumentation, the true Sonic fans show their real feelings about Twinkle Park.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

3 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:
14 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

Expand  

There's pretty much no denying that. The weird focus on Amy was pretty much them making a promise that Origins Plus and Superstars would later cash in on.

Actually makes me wonder if Origins Plus might provide some new cutscenes for Amy Ala the Knuckles & Knuckles secret route ending.

• Thumbs Up 3

These medals, do they work like the Origins Coins to give you extra tries on Special Stages on top of other stuff? I don't see a lives counter, so maybe the -1 medal penalty for dying is there.

Dunno if there's anything to confirm for just a demo

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Supah Berrio said:

These medals, do they work like the Origins Coins to give you extra tries on Special Stages on top of other stuff? I don't see a lives counter, so maybe the -1 medal penalty for dying is there.

Dunno if there's anything to confirm for just a demo

I think it might be like Mania's medal system where it can unlock stuff? Like skins or something

It really feels like every major complaint about 2D Sonic has been addressed in this game, or at least acknowledged in some way. And these are a lot of complaints that 2010 SEGA would have likely ignored completely.

There's a very real possibility that Sonic Team, for the first time in over 25 years, have created a Classic Sonic game that feels and plays like a Classic Sonic game.

That is incredible.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have started wondering; I wonder if Metal Sonic is going to appear in some way in Sonic Superstars? I know he was used in Mania already, but I would love to see a boss fight with Metal Sonic in some way. He's my favorite rival of Sonic.

• Fist Bump 1

I really like everything we're seeing here but I dunno. I need to see some IGN preview footage of someone not understanding Sonic can roll and questioning why he can't climb walls like Knuckles before I can call this game good or not.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

It seems like every 100 rings gets you a medal. What use do they have I wonder

2 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

It seems like every 100 rings gets you a medal. What use do they have I wonder

Seems the same as the ones in Sonic Origins, where they are used in place of the old school lives system and as currency for Extras.

23 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Seems the same as the ones in Sonic Origins, where they are used in place of the old school lives system and as currency for Extras.

But you don't lose a coin upon dying?

As I wrote elsewhere, after watching the video I can finally say that the level design and the bosses are good.

Also apparently the game is made in collaboration with Arzest, though I don't know where the info comes from (it's also on Wikipedia though).

It appears to be a new engine/framework for real, after all... weird.

• Thumbs Up 2

I haven't seen any level design issues that haven't already been in the classics themselves. Gee, it really is accurate! Even then, I'd take those white arcs you can jump on and off of freely over the Oil Ocean cannons or Death Egg rings any day.

Speed Jungle, as the name seems to imply, is full of twisty speedy setpieces like Stardust Speedway and Chemical Plant very much are. Really nothin' particularly egregious.

That said, it'd be stupid not to be surprised at everyone putting it under a microscope, it's just tradition with these things!

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Jango said:

Did they somehow put an unused Sonic 4 track to play during the boss battles? Because I've never heard that one, but it SCREAMS Jun Senoue, and no, not in the good way, I'm talking Sonic 4 way. It sounds repetitive and oddly drum heavy, which besides dying cats synths, was his style when he composed to 4.

For the love of God SEGA, you have fucking Tee Lopes on speed dial you maniacs.

The Speed Jungle one is from White Park Act 2 added by the uploader, at least.

Also, that new adorable animation transition, featuring Fang and the mysterious new character.

One more thing, I'm trying to understand how Amy works here and possibly in Origins Plus:

- Hammer spin, followed normal spin jump

- Spin Dash

- Hammer while running

- Double Hammer Jump? I think I saw that in a video

Plus according to the demo menu, Amy has an extra stage just for her, cool!

• Thumbs Up 1

The uploader knew what kinda of fire he was about to start when he added that Sonic 4 song. But where the hell is the boss music from?

Anyways, there's still hope for more 🍵?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Jango said:

The uploader knew what kinda of fire he was about to start when he added that Sonic 4 song. But where the hell is the boss music from?

Anyways, there's still hope for more 🍵?

The Act 2 boss is from S4. It's either a new arrangement of the E2 boss music, or just the original with the left channel muted for some reason. 

The Act 1 boss music is new though, and the main reason to be concerned. 

• Thumbs Up 3