Awoo.

Dreadknux
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New 2D Classic Sonic Platformer Sonic Superstars Announced at some point.

NSMB for Sonic would be fine for consistency...but that only works when they understand the appeal and game feel of the originals.

Can only be glad they're doing this now and not when Sonic 4 was a thing, if true.

10 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Ohtani recently did a teaser-y photo of some live music recording sessions for an unannounced project (which at least confirms this game won't sound like Sonic 4 or Sonic Forces' Classic style if the tease was for this), but it's not confirmed for sure if that was music for Superstars yet or not.

Okay. Just checking on the situation. It would be nice if Ohtani did music for this.

You know what crazy thought just passed through my head? Of the 2 "fathers" of Sonic, one of them got to work on a brand new game since Adventure 2, while the other has a chance of actually going to freaking jail.

Shit's crazy.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

It looks allright, in some places cute even, but still, it's not what I was hoping for.

I think I will appreciate it anyway, but feels a bit too much on the casual side for my tastes (huge NSMB and Wii-era vibes). How the heck you put 4 players in the same screen when Tails in Sonic 2 was a respawn fest already, and it never got better even in the sequels?

Excited to see Fang with a major role again, but disappointed that the game is set in the past and all the modern content does not exist (at least, it seems to be according to the art style, but maybe they finally embraced the art style as what it really is, just an art style, without continuity implications - after all Sonic 4 is set in the classic side of the timeline but it uses the modern design regardless, already).

My opinion is mixed to positive, anyway... I think that this game has the potential to be good, but I'm a bit skeptical about it being "great".

1 hour ago, ShinyGems said:

60 dollars in the USA for this game. You all think the price is right, or no?

Not sure. They're asking for the same price Frontiers was? Especially considering that, as many people have pointed out, it looks like a budget title. Pretty, but budget. For all I know the game could be 3 times longer than Sonic 3K with tons of content in it. Or maybe it's the same content wise as Mania, which was only $20. Still interested in more info but I don't like it tbh. 

Edit: On second thought, I agree with that tweet. If the value is worth it, then it's worth it. Can't really judge a pricing on this by how little we've seen.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

You know what crazy thought just passed through my head? Of the 2 "fathers" of Sonic, one of them got to work on a brand new game since Adventure 2, while the other has a chance of actually going to freaking jail.

I thought he was already sentenced!

• Thumbs Up 1

The Chaos Emerald abilities things seriously give me Wisp vibes, the waterfall climb even looks like the rocket wisp. A bit of a red flag.

Also

Screenshot_20230608-170908.thumb.png.f1dd1a9b9476613dac2de88200689434.png

I hope they bring back fang's triple trouble theme.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, A super No.1 washedupgamer said:

I hope they bring back fang's triple trouble theme.

Oh, I should say, that would be rather sweet to hear again!

• Thumbs Up 2

The Chaos Emerald powers are risky, but it's exactly the sort of risk I was hoping the next Classic Sonic game would take. It could go wrong but so far the powers you get seem interesting, and getting rewarded for each emerald as opposed to all seven sounds fun. The waterfall climb ability sounds good on paper, but I'm hoping that using it feels seamless. More Sonic Colors DS wisps and less Sonic Colors Wii wisps.

• Thumbs Up 4

The Fang model tease was brutal. Excited to see a completely new 2D Sonic game and very interested in new stuff like North Star Islands, the new badniks in the trailer, and that new character. First new non-IDW Classic character in forever is pretty neat (having Kip cameo somewhere would by fun though). As always, not as big a fan of 2-D Sonic as 3-D Sonic, but very happy for everyone that's been wanting this since Mania. Between Origins/Frontiers and Origins+/FrontiersDLC/Superstars, it's nice to see Sonic get a steady stream of new content again. Hopefully sales numbers will be able to keep supporting this.

All the content is gonna be on the cart for this one, right?

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow, it looks great. I've wanted a 2D Sonic with 3D graphics like Generations for a while. Playable Amy is great and I'm happy she's being prioritized after Mania put Mighty and Ray first instead. Curious about the new character.

Could this potentially be the first Sonic game since Colors to not reuse Zones? I really hope so. Tired of the old stuff. (Technically Colors had the special stages reuse level layouts, so reallyBlack Knight was the last mainline game without old levels lol)

And I know this'll sound kinda silly, but I'm happy to hear the correct jumping sound. Bothered me so much that Generations and Forces used CD's.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

Wow, it looks great. I've wanted a 2D Sonic with 3D graphics like Generations for a while. Playable Amy is great and I'm happy she's being prioritized after Mania put Mighty and Ray first instead. Curious about the new character.

Could this potentially be the first Sonic game since Colors to not reuse Zones? I really hope so. Tired of the old stuff. (Technically Colors had the special stages reuse level layouts, so reallyBlack Knight was the last mainline game without old levels lol)

And I know this'll sound kinda silly, but I'm happy to hear the correct jumping sound. Bothered me so much that Generations and Forces used CD's.

I was hoping for a classic 2D Sonic game with 3D graphics as well! I like the levels looking new, too!

• Thumbs Up 2

Cautiously optimistic.  Like, there's some weird stuff in there, and plenty of fairly automatic-looking level design - but at the same time they're hitting all the right notes, balancing familiar and new ideas.  At the very least they've caught my interest.  I haven't bought a new Sonic title since Mania, and this could well break that hiatus for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Say, I wonder if there will be any new elemental shields in this game, like a wind elemental shield?

I thought MD Sonic was good as dead again following Sega passing on ES/HC for another MD game following Mania; and ES going on to make their own game. (Origins being rushed to release and heavily butchering the great mobile remasters did not help matters.) So this was a genuine surprise.

I'm glad this seems to be a 2D Sonic game that's actually treated as a standalone marquee release like the 3D releases. Sega has treated 2D Sonic as "also-ran/secondary" playstyle for Sonic, one that didn't deserve a major standalone entry for decades; not even after the successful 2D revivials of Mario, DK, and other properties. This looks like it is finally closing the door on that, especially given Sega saved this as a big reveal for a general gaming show.

And in that same vein, I'm really glad that this seems to be an actual new project; with new zones and worlds. Not another Mania/Forces/Frontiers of heavily using old levels (remade, reimagined, rehashed, or otherwise) as a selling point and/or the meat of the game. Also glad that Mania's success is being used as a stepping stone towards advancing other stuff from the MD games, like Amy being playable and Fang returning as an antagonist. (Still wishing for a new 2D Sonic like Rayman's games of a WayForward-esque mix of 2D sprites/3D environments; but the new aesthetic/locales takes the sting off quite a bit.)

The co-op aspect is one of two big question marks for me that could end up affecting other elements of the game.  I like the idea of co-op multiplayer for Sonic gameplay; but historically, it's ranged from inoffensive to downright bad. And a major part of that is due to the inherent nature of Sonic's gameplay and level design (very fast-paced and built mainly towards a single-player experience). A big concern shown that's been expressed is the physics from the trailer, but I can live with that if it's been appropriately toned down to accommodate for the co-op multiplayer aspect. By the same coin, this is something I've been looking to see in a 3D Sonic game/engine--a 3D Sonic experiment where the physics/controls are closer to Sonic 1/CD, where you had speedcaps in place, so you couldn't go as fast as in the later games. If they successfully achieve a similar result here, that is a landmark achievement IMO.

The other big question mark for me is who exactly is developing this, which for me would fill in the blanks for the rest of the concerns regarding gameplay. The quality/design philosophy of the level design, the use of automation, and the implementation of new mechanics can make or break a MD Sonic game just as much as the controls/physics. I hope the directors/designers are up for the job; lest we get another Sonic 4 scenario of games that look the part of the MD games at first glance, but fall apart once you actually see the gameplay in action or hold the controller in your hand.

Going in with highly tempered expectations, but leaning positive for now.

3 minutes ago, ShinyGems said:

Say, I wonder if there will be any new elemental shields in this game, like a wind elemental shield?

Elemental shields wouldn't make sense if they're going with the Emeralds give unique abilities concept...

That's a lot to design around.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, StaticMania said:

Elemental shields wouldn't make sense if they're going with the Emeralds give unique abilities concept...

That's a lot to design around.

Yeah, I was just asking there. No harm in that, right? I know it would be too much already, but a guy can dream.

Feels great to be excited for sonic product again. The main Thing I need for this game is good physics it doesn't need to be 1 to 1 like the classics Just make it feel good.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's telling that in the PR blurb they mention controls and physics, so here's hoping they make good on that. 

Anyway, I'm excited for this. Glad to see co-op 2P Sonic beyond the scope of Tails trailing behind Sonic, and those new abilities, while kind of gimmicky looking, could be fun regardless! 

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

It's telling that in the PR blurb they mention controls and physics, so here's hoping they make good on that. 

Anyway, I'm excited for this. Glad to see co-op 2P Sonic beyond the scope of Tails trailing behind Sonic, and those new abilities, while kind of gimmicky looking, could be fun regardless! 

Where was that said about the physics, exactly, if you don't mind me asking? I am not doubting you, but I still have a feeling this won't have all the classic physics. I am still excited for this, though!

I agree on the positive aspect of prioritizing Amy over Mighty and Ray for once, and those 2 might be DLC anyway. It all feels great decisions, no buillshit like having Tails as a combo character like Sonic 4, you can play these characters freely alone or in Co op and with gorgeous graphics too, it looks really colorful I have to say, but my favorite thing yeah is the new zones and gimmicks and power ups. No reused content. It just screams "good decisions" for once. As for the full price, I beg they give us so much content to justify that...

Frontiers while reusing assets at least proved a Sonic game can last over 20 hours.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just had a big brain blast 

Origins' Story Mod had a cutscene with Team Sonic + Amy going off on an adventure

Origins+ has a playable Amy, with abilities that might be similar to her Superstars appearance.

Get the picture?

They're connected and basically Superstars is Sonic 4

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Red Hot Jack said:

I agree on the positive aspect of prioritizing Amy over Mighty and Ray for once, and those 2 might be DLC anyway. It all feels great decisions, no buillshit like having Tails as a combo character like Sonic 4, you can play these characters freely alone or in Co op and with gorgeous graphics too, it looks really colorful I have to say, but my favorite thing yeah is the new zones and gimmicks and power ups. No reused content. It just screams "good decisions" for once. As for the full price, I beg they give us so much content to justify that...

I would have to agree. On all counts.

I would like DLC too, myself. Including Mighty and Ray. Maybe a new playable character, too for DLC? That may seem like asking for too much, but I think a new playable character would be cool.