Awoo.

Dreadknux
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New 2D Classic Sonic Platformer Sonic Superstars Announced at some point.

I'm so damn happy right now.

This is exactly the direction I wanted them to take with 2D Sonic. =D

• Thumbs Up 4

8 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

Just had a big brain blast 

Origins' Story Mod had a cutscene with Team Sonic + Amy going off on an adventure

Origins+ has a playable Amy, with abilities that might be similar to her Superstars appearance.

Get the picture?

They're connected and basically Superstars is Sonic 4

̷a̷s̷ ̷y̷o̷u̷ ̷t̷r̷u̷e̷l̷y̷ ̷i̷m̷a̷g̷i̷n̷e̷d̷

Let's see if that city place in that ending will be among the levels here. Perhaps Origins+ will add in an even more direct tie in to it at the end the way Mania did with Forces

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

Origins' Story Mod had a cutscene with Team Sonic + Amy going off on an adventure

Origins+ has a playable Amy, with abilities that might be similar to her Superstars appearance.

Get the picture?

I was thinking almost the exact same thing! I thought Sonic Origins Plus having Amy playable was a way to promote Sonic Superstars itself!

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

Get the picture?

It's the perfect move of synergy that Sonic Generations missed out on back in the day. Better late than never, I guess.

Seriously, between these games and Frontiers, it appears that they're definitely making multiple playable characters the norm again.

• Thumbs Up 8

Maybe they also designed scrapped classic zones of the past for this game. One youtu.be comment said that the green hill zone level looked similar to the R2 level from cd.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, A super No.1 washedupgamer said:

Maybe they also designed scrapped classic zones of the past for this game. One youtu.be comment said that the green hill zone level looked similar to the R2 level from cd.

Ohhh, that sounds like it could be great if true! I would love to see Blue Ocean, a scrapped level from Sonic 2, be the underwater level of Sonic Superstars.

• Thumbs Up 1

it was quite strange to see "new 2D" as the main new thread in this forum from the main page"!!  i'm glad this didn't leak whatsoever beyond the very vague thing that no one knew whether to believe.  :) :) 

The 2D and 3D special stages especially look wonderful, as do what we have been of the zones!! 

There was a part early on with just those small pieces of curved land that could be traversed upside down which was really unique!!  maybe there is the slightest inspiration from Xtreme here and there.

it looks as good as we could have hoped for from Mania 2, and, there will always be lots of pixel art fangames including, if i remember correctly, lots of good ones coming this autumn to complement this new official one!!   

Something about this specific moment irks me

image.thumb.png.daa0db1050ed4856abac859d1b9429a6.png

Ignoring the obvious "SO RETRO" jokes, I don't like how flat these models look, I feel like they had the opportunity to mimic the genesis styled shading but they...didn't. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm ecstatic to see Fang back and in a main role again, not just a cameo/illusion like in previous appearances! Also going to the trouble of introducing a new character in the classic branch, and having them designed by Naoto Ohshima no less, is not only exciting but it means they clearly want to continue building this side of the franchise and aren't just going to let it disappear again.

Doing a mainline modern game then having a classic title to fill the years between is a great way to keep interest in the series as a whole up, while also keeping it from stagnating as you have two versions of the world, and differing gameplay styles and characters to play around with.

While I'm far more excited by what artists and developers can do with pixel art these days, i.e Shredders Revenge, Cuphead, Shantae, heck even Sonic Mania for example, and would love to see more of that, this looks clean and very well done at a glance.

Bit iffy on the multi-player, but as long as it's been built as a single player experience and the multi-player has been added and finetuned after that, rather than a game made for multi-player that ends up not playing great and not working mechanically well when you play solo, then it should be fine.

Can't wait to see more as we get closer to release later in the year. So much for those modern 2D title rumors huh haha, kinda glad to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 3

Since someone brought up scrapped stages, I was wondering; how about scrapped characters? I wonder if any of them could make it into Sonic Superstars in some way, or at least as a cameo?

I could see Tiara Boobwinski from the cancelled Sonic-Xtreme as a cameo, and though she probably does not count anymore, I would like to see Honey the Cat from Sonic the Fighters in some way.

Yeah, I know that scrapped characters is not as likely as scrapped stages, but I couldn't resist bringing this up, if that is not a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

4 minutes ago, ShinyGems said:

Since someone brought up scrapped stages, I was wondering; how about scrapped characters? I wonder if any of them could make it into Sonic Superstars in some way, or at least as a cameo?

I could see Tiara Boobwinski from the cancelled Sonic-Xtreme as a cameo, and though she probably does not count anymore, I would like to see Honey the Cat from Sonic the Fighters in some way.

Yeah, I know that scrapped characters is not as likely as scrapped stages, but I couldn't resist bringing this up, if that is not a bad thing.

There's always DLC...

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, HywelAtTheMoon said:

There's always DLC...

Yeah I know. Somehow, though, I forgot to mention the DLC thing when I knew that was a possibility.

27 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

Ignoring the obvious "SO RETRO" jokes, I don't like how flat these models look, I feel like they had the opportunity to mimic the genesis styled shading but they...didn't. 

Actually I have a bit of a theory...

What if this is like the Classic Sonic equivalent to Sonic Frontiers' Cyberspace? The aesthetic is very cyber esq and the weird glitch effect before the characters change could be some sort of side effect or intentional thing? Idk, I'm speculating here 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

Actually I have a bit of a theory...

What if this is like the Classic Sonic equivalent to Sonic Frontiers' Cyberspace? The aesthetic is very cyber esq and the weird glitch effect before the characters change could be some sort of side effect or intentional thing? Idk, I'm speculating here 

Looks a bit like Sonic Advance 3's Cyber Track. Possibly a prototype?

Plus those orrery symbols (planets) look like something out of Doctor Who.

Edited by HywelAtTheMoon
Added another idea.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Looks a bit like Sonic Advance 3's Cyber Track. Possibly a prototype?

Very nice thought. Unfortunately, that could add to the possibility that Dimps is involved with this game, considering how they made Death Egg MK II in Sonic 4: Episode 2 look more like one of the Advance or even Rush levels. LOL

Jokes aside, I do wonder what the origin for the cyberspace looking stage in Sonic Superstars itself would be. I think it would be interesting.

16 minutes ago, ShinyGems said:

I could see Tiara Boobwinski from the cancelled Sonic-Xtreme as a cameo

Tiara and X-treme content are unfortunately off the table. Ian has mentioned that there's issues related to it similar to pre-reboot Archie where a former developer (not Chris Senn) could cause trouble and so Sega chooses not to use the content instead.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, GentlemanX said:

Tiara and X-treme content are unfortunately off the table. Ian has mentioned that there's issues related to it similar to pre-reboot Archie where a former developer (not Chris Senn) could cause trouble and so Sega chooses not to use the content instead.

Oh, well Tiara was just a thought. I wonder who that developer is?

43 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

Eh, they could've went the Mario Odyssey road and straight up use the 16-bits sprites, but I like what they did here better tbh.

Getting some Megaman 11 vibes from this game too, but gotta give it to SEGA, it looks better than that even.

• Thumbs Up 3

I had a little idea. How about when Sonic or maybe the other characters gets all the Chaos Emeralds, when they turn Super, they can use all the powers of each of the Chaos Emeralds?

I know, it sounds cliche as hell, and it probably is. Still, I think it would be at least nice or cool to give Super Sonic (and the other characters if they go Super, too) more powers, maybe powers that are amplified more than when Sonic and company are NOT super, too.

Oh, yeah, here's the transparent logo and key art from the website

Spoiler

logo_lg.thumb.png.58ef7159d9de714988d6244b6b51a7db.pngsonic.thumb.png.fef5b73b0b4b093b473705d538a8f1d2.png

Alongside some (low quality?) screenshots

Spoiler

image.png.2ca3b1cd8ecbae7f48f14f2c07cb4f32.png

image.png.6090c7a27a88dc0b064fd1ec05597b60.png

image.png.c825136a2ca136f4a65508244a443280.png

image.png.f255bfd3d21daee756d6087f32347972.png

image.png.fff4a121df9d011a35e8e2bb2d9c5381.png 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DaBigJ said:

Oh, yeah, here's the transparent logo and key art from the website

Hide contents

logo_lg.thumb.png.58ef7159d9de714988d6244b6b51a7db.pngsonic.thumb.png.fef5b73b0b4b093b473705d538a8f1d2.png

Alongside some (low quality?) screenshots

Hide contents

image.png.2ca3b1cd8ecbae7f48f14f2c07cb4f32.png

image.png.6090c7a27a88dc0b064fd1ec05597b60.png

image.png.c825136a2ca136f4a65508244a443280.png

image.png.f255bfd3d21daee756d6087f32347972.png

image.png.fff4a121df9d011a35e8e2bb2d9c5381.png 

In regards to the pictures, I like the straw village looking third image you posted. I wonder what stage that is? I guess we will find out sometime soon on that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I do wonder, if there will be a mechanic that allows you to at least have the other characters follow you when they're not being player-controlled, and even further, potentially allow for a swap mechanic.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I do wonder, if there will be a mechanic that allows you to at least have the other characters follow you when they're not being player-controlled, and even further, potentially allow for a swap mechanic.

That'd be pretty cool to have, it could lead to interesting alternative paths or secrets

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Yes, turn the new Classic Sonic game into Sonic Advance 3-II, I am so serious.

• Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

That'd be pretty cool to have, it could lead to interesting alternative paths or secrets

We did see some footage of Amy smashing through a wall with her hammer while Sonic was following, so it's certainly in the realm of possibility.

• Thumbs Up 3