Awoo.

The Sonic Game that IGN gave a 10/10.

KoolKojoS

After hearing about Sonic and The Black Knight's IGN controversy, I couldn't help but laugh. I didn't think IGN could get that low. But again, to each his own opinion.

Anyway, everyone in the Sonic community nowadays look at IGN as a group of Sonic haters.

...Little did you know, back in '99, they gave a sonic game a 10/10

Seems like IGN was different back then, although they always wanted a classic-type Sonic game, and Pocket Adventure is almost a carbon copy of Sonic 2...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• famicommander

• Badnik Zero

• SuperLink

• KoolKojoS

Pocket Adventure was a genuinely great platformer though. It's a shame its release was rather obscure, and that so few have played it. I'm not sure if it deserves a perfect score, per se, but it definitely deserves a very high one.

I don't see how this reflects IGN specifically at all. I too think Pocket Adventure was vastly superior to Black Knight.

Seems like IGN was different back then,
Heh. Sonic was different back then.

Almost 10 years ago. SA had only just come out. At that time there was no reason to think the series would dive headfirst into the mud in just a few years...

I laughed at how odd it was to read a review that didn't recap how much they didn't like the previous games xD! Other than that, it was a neat review...but as I said it was still odd :P

The past scaaareeesss meeeeeeeeeee *drowns in a pool or something*

IGN isn't biased against Sonic games, just the ones that don't play like their ideal "Sonic 4". It's not that they hate the series, they're just skeptical of new gimmicks after so many missteps.

Heh. Sonic was different back then.

Video games were different back then.

Anyways, I still don't get their review. This game was just a remix of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&K.

What's so great about it?

Edited by Badnikz

IGN isn't biased against Sonic games, just the ones that don't play like their ideal "Sonic 4". It's not that they hate the series, they're just skeptical of new gimmicks after so many missteps.

But the problem with their reviews is that they do nothing but complain about the gimmicks, so we really get no information about the gameplay other than "What was SEGA thinking?!" Watch their video review of Unleashed, all I kept hearing was "then... there's the Werehog..." Skepticism is one thing, but to review a game poorly because you don't like the CONCEPT and not touching on the actual gameplay is just stupid.

Though, I don't want to jump on the "IGN is biased against Sonic games" bandwagon, since that's probably not the case. I do, however, think they're idiots (that "Where Did Sonic Go Wrong?" article was a joke). In any case, should a "Sonic 4" ever come out, I'm willing to bet it WON'T get an absolutely glowing review unless it's essentially just Sonic 1 with spindash.

EDIT: I find it funny that the puzzle portions and backtracking is being praised in this review considering all IGN cares about is just running really fast (because apparently Sonic can't and shouldn't be allowed to do anything besides that).

Edited by Zaysho

Anyways, I still don't get their review. This game was just a remix of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&K.

Exactly.

I never played Pocket Adventure. I might download an emulated version.

Yeah, this was back before there was even a hint that Sonic would lose quality. Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were genuinely good games and Sonic had made a relatively good transition into 3D just like Mario and Zelda. Then Heroes came along and for some reason the quality just dropped from there, for the 3D games, at least. The 2D games have been consistently good, for the most part. Unfortunately, this fact has deluded people into thinking that Sonic can only work in 2D, which simply isn't true.

Sonic Pocket Adventure is a great game, but not the best. I don´t know why they give this game 10/10 and they gave Sonic Adventure series and the megadrive Sonic Games a lower note.

Edited by Blue Kirby

10/10?

Its not that good to get more than sonic 3 & knuckles.

They havent reviewed Sonic 3 and Knuckles have they? If so then what did they give it out of 10?

I've never played Sonic Pocket Adventure, but what I've seen of it, it doesn't really look like a game that holds a 10/10 spot. O.o

Wow, IGN were VERY different back then with Sonic games. I've actually noticed that the reviews they gave 3D Sonic games started to decline when Sonic went multi-platform. That's when these so-called "critics" started to moan about gimmicks and whatnot.

I've always wanted to get Pocket Adventure. Unless I'm made of money though it feels like I'll never play it.

Yes, it has to be said: this game is a system-seller.

It's true. The only reason I bought a Neo Geo Pocket Color was so I could play this. And I didn't regret it one bit.

Sonic Pocket Adventure is a truly great game.

Not sure if it's quite worth 10/10 but definitely a 9 point something.

I didn't even played this game. But yeah, it was like 10 years ago, and IGN is just one opinion. Try not to focus on just one game web site :), and you can't have the same opinion as a fan and as a some gamer which test game :).

You guys also have to realise that the scores are relative. It's a 10/10 because it was a rare good game on a handheld console populated by failures. If this game had been released with slightly better gameplay and audio on a successful home console, it would have gotten less than 10. In comparison to other Neo Geo games, this was like the messiah. In comparison to Game Boy games, or Dreamcast games? Meh.

I only ever got to play this when the guy in the game shop let me play it for a bit. Neo Geo Pocket Colour was a great handheld I wanted to get one even before this game came out.

Heh, wow, I'm surprised. I mean, I remember that game being fun and all, but a perfect score?

Actually, if I remember correctly, there was a review for this game in some magazine (can't remember which one) that gave it a 9/10. Critics really did like this game.

In comparison to other Neo Geo games, this was like the messiah. In comparison to Game Boy games, or Dreamcast games? Meh.

This shows how different IGN has become.

In a way, they've always been comparing newer Sonic games to the Genesis days, but they're totally different things.

Only complaining about the gimmicks is a problem? Reveiwers complain about them because they suck.

I also love it when people try to justify the changes Sonic has been through with "But the market has changed!". I didn't realize simple quality when out of style.

For the most part, I think a lot of the fun has gone out of style.

This game is practically a handheld remake of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&K. I understand it was Sonic game on another struggling system, but do you think a game like this would receive similar reviews today?

People would say - what is this, we want a NEW Sonic game. And especially "They are milking the franchise, Sonic is dead".