Awoo.

The Sonic Game that IGN gave a 10/10.

KoolKojoS

I didn't realize simple quality when out of style.

I think it went out of style about the same time games based on Pixar movies started making money.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• famicommander

• Badnik Zero

• SuperLink

• KoolKojoS

You guys also have to realise that the scores are relative. It's a 10/10 because it was a rare good game on a handheld console populated by failures. If this game had been released with slightly better gameplay and audio on a successful home console, it would have gotten less than 10. In comparison to other Neo Geo games, this was like the messiah. In comparison to Game Boy games, or Dreamcast games? Meh.

The Neo Geo Pocket Color had a LOT of great games. I own the system and a good few dozen titles, and I love it. Probably the most underrated handheld ever.

Metal Slug 1st Mission, Metal Slug 2nd Mission, Sonic Pocket Adventure, Pac-Man, Fatal Fury First Contact, Puzzle Bobble Mini, SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters Clash, SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium, Puzzle Link, Samuari Shodown, Samurai Shodown 2, The King of Fighters R1, The King of Fighters R2, Biomotor Unitron, Cotton, Neo Turf Masters, Baseball Stars, Cool Boarders Pocket, Ogre Battle, Rockman (Mega Man) Battle and Fighters, Faselei, Gals Fighters, Magical Drop, Puyo Pop, Shanghai, Dark Arms...

And FYI, Sonic isn't the only NGPC game IGN gave a perfect score:

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/162/162975p1.html

How about educating yourself before making such posts?

Aren't Neo Geo Pocket Colours stupidly expensive or something?

No. I paid less than 100 dollars for mine, and it came sealed with 24 brand new games. Check Amazon.

I've never played that game. It is a bit shocking, but yeah at the time Sonic really wasn't doing too bad with critics that I'm aware of.

Having actually played through this game twice, I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of praise this game gets: while certainly not bad, the game is really just Sonic 2 with Sonic 3 & Knuckles music. Although the level designs are fairly competent and certainly better than any of the Game Gear games' zones, Sonic Pocket Adventure felt severely weighed down by looking and even feeling like a mere copy of past games. If they were willing to make level designs that were halfway decent (I didn't think they were fantastic), they shouldn't have guised it up as looking like a portable version of another game.

The one refreshing aspect this game provided, though, was collecting puzzle pieces throughout the levels. At least the game isn't sinfully abysmal like the Sonic Advance series was, though.

I played Sonic's Pocket Adventure on a Neo-Geo Pocket emulator. The game is good, but I don't see why it got a 10.

I played Sonic's Pocket Adventure on a Neo-Geo Pocket emulator. The game is good, but I don't see why it got a 10.

NGPC emulators suck. The NGPC has a unique joystick that can't be matched by a d-pad or arrow keys, and the games usually don't run at full speed.

I'm amazed at the score, but I am really quite pleased. The game is potentially better than Rush? Hehe, that makes it a must play! (Haven't played the game)

Still, one thing that is a bit of a turn-off is the lack of originality in the stages. They just look like Sonic 2 stages, but obviously worse. Still, I don't mind, nostalgia ftw. I'd love to try this game. I always hear good things about it.

• 6 years later...