Awoo.

Eggman's eyes in the classic games

Blazey Firekitty

So it's known that Robotnik's weird empty eye sockets on the covers of old Western Sonic games were a fabrication of Sega of America.

What's the deal with his eyes in the actual games, though? Is he meant to have cartoonish blue dots for eyes? Or are those the same glasses he wears today, just without any visible attachment to his face?

His SoJ artwork featured him with the same pince-nez he wears today. You can definitely see the bridge between the lenses.

I'd assume the game sprites were an approximation of that.

Edited by Octarine

While the OVA isn't canon to the games, it is the only "official" time we've seen classic Eggman's eyes, which were big ol' cartoony eyes.

I sort of envision classic Eggman's eyes to look like this.

As for SoA's empty sockets: Ew, get it away.

Red eyes, oh so evil. How can we make it even more evil? Make it dark and void sockets. Everyone at SOA rejoiced.

The classic Eggman always wore the spectales (?) I think.

While the OVA isn't canon to the games, it is the only "official" time we've seen classic Eggman's eyes, which were big ol' cartoony eyes.

True, but Sonic Advance 3 also had similar eyes for a comedic, cartoonish effect whenever you bopped the Big Egg on the head. The color of his irises were unknown until this:

eggmaneyes2.jpg

The only detailed in-game reference where we see his little eyes blue is 06'. Actually, not really "bedroom eyes" but more of a cadet blue or a steel-blue, fitting to his mechanical leanings and inviting but distant nature. I still would like to see a hacked model of this without the eyeglasses on. It can be done, after all the same model was used in both in game and external non-CG cutscenes as seen here, and the glasses are assumed to be removable since they are layered. Robotnik I think, jostles with it during the final story in a cutscene.

Also to point out while not a marker for eye color, Captain Whiskers does have the same blue eyes- but if you used robots as an indicator for eye color in this equation, then Sonic would have red eyes and Knuckles, green.

Edited by Kintobor

On another note, Eggman has two distinct SoA designs, one with black hole eyes and one with cartoony beady eyes.

chaosartwork.png

Toon_eggman2.png

It's interesting that the idea that Eggman wore glasses just didn't occur to the American artists at all.

Notice how angry SoA Eggman is in contrast to his manically-happy Japanese self. American Eggman is hardcore, guys.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

It's amazing how out of place Sega of America Eggman looks alongside Sonic and Tails on that Sonic Chaos art, since the latter two are allowed to keep their cutesy Japanese looks.

Given the mentality behind "American Kirby is Hardcore," I'm a little surprised that Tails wasn't turned into a scowling anti-hero for the Western box art.XD

@Doctor Eggman: I always did wonder what Robotnik would do once he figured out trying to beat Sonic was futile... Obviously dismissing myths with bizarre contraptions is his calling.

I also think it's an interesting misconception that SoA figured Robotnik just had black eyes. The empty eye sockets Robotnik is just creepy, but I like how AoStH Robotnik looks (not directly related to the games, I know, but I thought I'd throw that in there). I figure it's just rather difficult to make glasses look like glasses with the design of the early Robotnik sprites (it's not easy to make a bridge obvious without making the eyes look like a thick line), so it's easy to get it wrong and think he has round blue eyes.

I loved the old American design of Robotnik, with the blank sockets. So creepy and evil looking; the cover to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 would be nightmare fuel if not for Sonic and Tail's place on the box (as well as the title logo).

That said, his 2006 interpretation beats everything else out, in my opinion.

I must wonder how Sega of America Robotnik sees. Magic?O_o

Cameras mounted on the Eggmobile, maybe? It'd explain why he almost never got out of it.

That's actually a very amusing theory.:D

Maybe he never does get out of it.XD I don't think there's been any Sega of America box art that didn't have Robotnik either in the Eggmobile, or as a floating head in the sky.XD

The idea is that he was sooooo evil, his eyeballs were totally black... or something. More SoA nonsense.

The idea is that he was sooooo evil, his eyeballs were totally black... or something. More SoA nonsense.

I like the idea that SoA Robotnik is blind. And able to become a giant at his own whim. And able to detach his head to hover menacingly over the countryside if it suits his fancy. And he enjoys collecting giant "2"s.

Considering Spinball Robotnik was absolutely huge, my joking theory may have a grain of truth yet.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like the idea that SoA Robotnik is blind. And able to become a giant at his own whim. And able to detach his head to hover menacingly over the countryside if it suits his fancy. And he enjoys collecting giant "2"s.

Considering Spinball Robotnik was absolutely huge, my joking theory may have a grain of truth yet.

Your theories also gain more weight when one considers that SoA Robotnik was mutated by Chaos Energy.XD

Your theories also gain more weight when one considers that SoA Robotnik was mutated by Chaos Energy.XD

Even though both of you are mocking SoA Robotnik, all the things you keep bringing up just make me like the interpretation more :D (a rare emoticon from me).

I must wonder how Sega of America Robotnik sees. Magic?O_o

Magic? Naaaaaaaah, that is completely ridiculous.

He is able to utilize the force of shinigami spirit to create a black hole in the fabric of existence which absorbs the essence of life, creating an ectoplasmic vacuum. The ectoplasm is absorbed into the black hole and soon is coated in a fine layer upon the remaining existence, making room for him to activate his Sharigan eyes, which he then uses to duplicate peoples abilities of seeing. Once he has those abilities duplicated, before he can use them, he must travel the fabled "Thousand Nine Road", an obstacle course which many have never even seen before. It consists of many horrors and perils in the world. Once he has completed this simple task, he can use the ability of sight, thus allowing him to see.

Obviously.

-Iceman

Magic? Naaaaaaaah, that is completely ridiculous.

He is able to utilize the force of shinigami spirit to create a black hole in the fabric of existence which absorbs the essence of life, creating an ectoplasmic vacuum. The ectoplasm is absorbed into the black hole and soon is coated in a fine layer upon the remaining existence, making room for him to activate his Sharigan eyes, which he then uses to duplicate peoples abilities of seeing. Once he has those abilities duplicated, before he can use them, he must travel the fabled "Thousand Nine Road", an obstacle course which many have never even seen before. It consists of many horrors and perils in the world. Once he has completed this simple task, he can use the ability of sight, thus allowing him to see.

Obviously.

-Iceman

I loved the deadpan seriousness with which you dished out that shonen manga logic.:D

• Thumbs Up 1