Awoo.

Sonic Classic Collection

Indigo Rush

If you cheat and get Knuckles into Sky Sanctuary Act 1 you can see both palettes.

Both Knuckles palettes? Yes, but Sonic isn't present. And in Knuckles ending, even though Sonic is there the HUD isn't.

I can't tell any more, has the screen been cropped or just condensed to fit the DS screen?

Personally I'd prefer the latter, cropping games never does well for the view, especially with fast games like Sonic. Hell, it's the reason everyone hates the Game Gear version of Sonic 2, and that game's relatively slow. D=

4358388441_0728b5f707_o.jpg

Since when is Sonic 3 & Knuckles called Knuckles in Sonic 3? oO

God dammit why!? Why must you change my childhood! Not to mention that title makes NO sense and doesn't work in this context. That's like saying "Tails in Sonic 2", the original title was Sonic 3 & Knuckles, meaning, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles since the games were combined.

Or is this really Knuckles in the ORIGINAL Sonic 3? If so, cool! If not, see above. Knuckles/Tails in Sonic 1 perhaps?

Though one thing, I don't see why they didn't do a graphical update of these games yet, I guess it'd be better to keep the nostalgia, but now would've been as good an opportunity as ever.

Edited by Black Spy

I can't tell any more, has the screen been cropped or just condensed to fit the DS screen?

Personally I'd prefer the latter, cropping games never does well for the view, especially with fast games like Sonic. Hell, it's the reason everyone hates the Game Gear version of Sonic 2, and that game's relatively slow. D=

Looks like a bit of both. They've definitely been squashed down, and the HUD is now much closer to the edge of the screen.

4359132490_3a947875e0.jpgson2_05.gif

Edited by Blue Blood

Urgh Game Gear Sonic 2? Don't get me started. I HATE it.

From everything I've seen from this end, the official internal names have always been "Knuckles In Sonic n" when talking about the different lock-ons, we've always called it Sonic n & Knuckles I know and the S3&K splash screen calls it Sonic 3 & Knuckles and still does, but in official lists thats what its called. If this fact somehow ruins your childhood errr.... sorry? XD

In all seriousness its probably designed that way to be more uniform in design throughout the collection, feel free to go overboard on this little detail if you want though. Its not like they've called the lock-ons Knuckles In... anywhere before now.

Knuckles_in_Sonic_2_title_screen.png

n/a KNUCKLES IN SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 (GAME)

n/a KNUCKLES IN SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3 (GAME)

Oh... ;)

Lol, hardly... Point is that games list has been floating around for ages and in the end nothing has changed I still call it S3&K you still call it S3&K we'll all keep calling it S3&K. :)

I still need to know something: did the framerate improve? The first preview of this game already made it sound better than Sonic GBA*shudder*, but it said there was lag.

Both Knuckles palettes? Yes, but Sonic isn't present. And in Knuckles ending, even though Sonic is there the HUD isn't.

Um... I know? What is your point?

Edit: Oh, I get it. I wasn't saying you were wrong. I was simply saying "If you want to compare the palettes get Knuckles into Sky Sanctuary 1."

Edited by Tornado

Not seen said preview, was hoping to show it off at the Alton Towers event but something was up with the dev cart - annoying as I was looking forward to showing it off so you'd get some proper previews from both TSS and Retro.

One of the things I've been keen to get assurances on internally is that the ports are a lot better than... ahem that title. We're still like a month away from launch I think anyway? I doubt the code they played was in anyway final. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Um... I know? What is your point?

Edit: Oh, I get it. I wasn't saying you were wrong. I was simply saying "If you want to compare the palettes get Knuckles into Sky Sanctuary 1."

lol, okay. I thought you were saying "Bu what about in this situation?".

Not seen said preview, was hoping to show it off at the Alton Towers event but something was up with the dev cart - annoying as I was looking forward to showing it off so you'd get some proper previews from both TSS and Retro.

One of the things I've been keen to get assurances on internally is that the ports are a lot better than... ahem that title. We're still like a month away from launch I think anyway? I doubt the code they played was in anyway final. :)

so the game will run fine? aka no problems?

Once again, I'm far more excited for this than I should be. D:

Okay, I'm still not exactly bouncing off the walls about it, but I still care a lot more than I should, considering it's a (hopefully good) port of games I've played hundreds of times in the last fifteen years. D:

Eh, I blame the portability aspect for inducing some excitement in me. Being a strictly Wii/ DS owner, the closest I've had to portable classic Sonic is the phone and iPod ports. The mobile versions are pretty bad ports and are hard to control, the iPod version is a perfect port but nigh-impossible to control well.

Here's hoping they're good ports for this, then. Fingers crossed...

I got my new issue of Nintendo Power and they have a preview for the game. Here's the second-to-last sentence:

Unfortunately, we did notice some frame-rate issues in the preview version we played-although the originals weren't exactly perfect in this regard either.

There are also better(and maybe new) screenshots. The HUD looks a bit better. Sadly, I have no scanner at the moment.

Edited by Pearl

Fortunately, I do have a scanner. You got your issue today too, Pearl? XD

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o439/Chao_Rcute/Scans%20and%20Stuff/NP252_SCCP.png

They don't seem to mention that this collection has anything worthwhile other than the Genesis Trilogy now has a new save feature for each game and has some artwork to look at for extras.

Looking at the screens first hand, it appears that the smaller resolution for these remakes don't seem quite as squashed and odd looking compared to the ones from last week.

I just got an email from shopto.net saying the price for Sonic Classic Collection has dropped from £22.85 to £19.85 if that sways anybody on the fence.

http://www.shopto.net/DS/VIDEO%20GAMES/DSSO11-SONIC%20COLLECTION.html

Edit: Although it seems that gameplay are selling it for £17.99 anyway

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=DS5404

Edited by Matriculated

Yeah, I think Amazon.co.uk are doing the same £17.99 price. It's really cheap. But paying the extra £21 for the Special Edition version am I!

Just a couple of weeks until this hits the UK... I am more excited than I thought I'd be, but being able to play all of these classic games again - on the move - is just too good to pass up! :D

I hope it's good, at the very least it doesn't sound like it will be Sonic Genesis-esque levels of terrible.

I could be dumb here and ask a question which has been answered.

Does this have multiplayer over Wifi or wirless? like sonic 3 and sonic2 multiplayer stuff? D:

I could be dumb here and ask a question which has been answered.

Does this have multiplayer over Wifi or wirless? like sonic 3 and sonic2 multiplayer stuff? D:

Judging by the edited 2 and 3 title screens, no. 3 has no option for 'competition' and 2 simply has you select your character at the title screen instead of the options menu.

Which is annoying by itself, because that means that you can't do the time attack stuff in Sonic 3 anymore. It isn't as if that is a horrible tragedy of biblical proportions, but those stages were still fun little time wasters.

Edited by Tornado