Awoo.

Sonic Classic Collection

Indigo Rush

Wait, you can do the level select in S2&K? How?

Also, aside from Sonic 1, any other level selects work? And how about debug?

All I've got to work so far has been the Sonic 1 level select.

Theres a limited edition one?

It's a Spain and Australia exclusive.

GAME in Spain -

http://www.game.es/ficha/ficha.aspx?sku=066478

EB Games in Australia -

http://www.ebgames.com.au/ds-149650-Sonic-Classic-Collection-Limited-Edtion-Nintendo-DS

GAME Australia -

http://www.game.com.au/sonic-classic-collection-limited-edition/nintendo-ds/SONICCLEDS

Australia sells the English version of course, I think it's EB Games that can ship it worldwide.

Wait, you can do the level select in S2&K? How?

Also, aside from Sonic 1, any other level selects work? And how about debug?

All I've got to work so far has been the Sonic 1 level select.

S2&K Level select: Up, up, up, down, down, down, left, right, left, right Y+START (title screen)

S2&K Debug: Play tracks 01, 09, 09, 04, 01, 00, 01, 08 Y+START

S&K Level select: Same way you always did using those pulleys in MHZ, but you have to Game Over to return to the title screen. Then you can just Y+START

The ones in italics I haven't tried yet, but will do so now.

EDIT: Shadz, EBGames wouldn't ship worldwide. Mighty Ape do, however.

Edited by Blue Blood

Just tried to S3&K level select here. Doesn't seem to work. It makes the 'ring' sound on the vine, but doesn't work when you get back to the title screen.

You know, I wonder if that's why they mapped Pause the touch screen. It doesn't work the same as the in-game pause in that it totally overrides the game, you can even pause during the credits and whatnot.

Hindering/removing the ability for us to use level select the same way is just fucking retarded. I certainly wasn't expecting new features for the compilation but this is practically removing some.

Just tried to S3&K level select here. Doesn't seem to work. It makes the 'ring' sound on the vine, but doesn't work when you get back to the title screen.

You know, I wonder if that's why they mapped Pause the touch screen. It doesn't work the same as the in-game pause in that it totally overrides the game, you can even pause during the credits and whatnot.

Ah silly me. Of course it doesn't work- you had to select Sound Test from the title screen.

That START button works exactly the same as in the original, except now it doesn't pause the game. That's why you can still use it to enable level select and debug.

EDIT: OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GLOWING SPHERES BONUS STAGE? It's like, littered with black broken tiles.

Edited by Blue Blood

EDIT: OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GLOWING SPHERES BONUS STAGE? It's like, littered with black broken tiles.

Oh yeah, I noticed that the other day. X.x Not sure if it's all the time or just sometimes, hope it's the latter though.

Bloody hell. Just stuck the game in my Lite, went to AIZ and it turned into a massive piece of shit! It runs horribly on the DSL.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bloody hell. Just stuck the game in my Lite, went to AIZ and it turned into a massive piece of shit! It runs horribly on the DSL.

Thanks for the heads up, glad I've got a DSi aswell as my DS Phat so when I pick this game up I can play it with no problems.

Thanks for the heads up, glad I've got a DSi aswell as my DS Phat so when I pick this game up I can play it with no problems.

On the plus side of the older models, the S3K special stages don't jutter on them. Not that it's overly bad on the DSi though.

I tried it on the DSL and it didn't run so great at times. There were quite a few graphical glitches, but I was playing a downloaded ROM version of the game and just suspected it was because of that. Deleted it after an hour- glad I didn't pay a penny for yet another one of SEGA's borked rehash collections. =/ I don't see the point in upgrading to the DSi either, especially not for this. I have a decent camera on my mobile phone, pretty much everyone does these days.

Just to add, the Special Stages were fine on the one I was playing. XD

Edited by bolt7

Hilariously enough, I've been doing some comparisons and I think that the homebrew jEnesisDS actually runs the games better than the Officially-Sanctioned-By-Sega jEnesisDS.

I tried it on the DSL and it didn't run so great at times. There were quite a few graphical glitches, but I was playing a downloaded ROM version of the game and just suspected it was because of that. Deleted it after an hour- glad I didn't pay a penny for yet another one of SEGA's borked rehash collections. =/ I don't see the point in upgrading to the DSi either, especially not for this. I have a decent camera on my mobile phone, pretty much everyone does these days.

Just to add, the Special Stages were fine on the one I was playing. XD

The DSi isn't really worth upgrading to if you have a DS Lite unless you're interested in DSi Ware, I started out with the original DS Phat so after seeing the better picture quality on my wife's DS Lite and then the DSi I considered upgrading. The camera stuff with the touch screen editing tools, the DSi Ware games, the audio recording stuff, the SD card slot and the bigger screens with better picture quality than the DS Phat all lured me in more than the DS Lite so I got the DSi and am enjoying it. I still have my DS Phat though for playing GBA games, Rumble Pak compatible DS games like ASR and the Pal Park thingy to trade my GBA Pokemon over to Pokemon Diamond.

• Thumbs Up 2

Are you using a DS Lite or DSi?

DSi, so if the model matters than that might be a bit of an issue.

No idea how, they all are the same I'd think.

DSi, so if the model matters than that might be a bit of an issue.

No idea how, they all are the same I'd think.

The DSi has four times the RAM and twice the clock-speed of older models. This collection uses those advantages to get a bettter performance.

How the hell does that site sell stuff so cheap? They have the Wii version of All-Stars Racing for £19.99, too. D:

Edited by Mahzes

How the hell does that site sell stuff so cheap? They have the Wii version of All-Stars Racing for £19.99, too. D:

The non-wheel bundle Wii version and DS version have been going for under £18 since before release -

Zavvi -

DS - £17.95

Wii - £22.95 Sold out, was going for £17.95 before and after release

WH Smith -

DS - £17.93

Wii - £17.93 Sold out

Woolworths -

DS - £17.97

Wii - £17.97 Sold out

ASDA -

DS - £17.91

Wii - £17.91 Sold out

Chips World -

DS - £17.99

Wii - £17.99 Sold out

Amazon -

DS - £17.93

Ahh, right.

I got the wheel bundle version from ASDA (in-store) on launch day for £32, DS version for £24.

Considering HMV are still doing the '£40 console version, £30 DS version' thing, it makes them seem practically criminal. D:

Just so everyone knows, Classic Collection is a DSi game. It has a DSi header and was coded with the DSi SDK. That being said, it doesn't explain why the emulation is worse than the original homebrew emulator was on regular DS Lights.

Way to go SEGA. Making a beloved franchices greatest games run BETTER on a handheld, when compared to the DSL & Phat sales, barley anyone has!

Sonicblur explains the reasoning behind it all:

I thought I've explained this before but maybe it was on another forum. Yes, it's still jEnsisDS, but not all of it. The DS has two CPU's: an ARM7 and an ARM9 processor. The ARM7 is a faster version of the same CPU that was in the Gameboy Advance, which is also used for GBA mode because it's capable of running at the same speed as it did in the GBA. The ARM9 is the main processor used by DS games.

jEnesisDS makes use of both of these processors. The Z80 and the rest of the sound emulation is handled by the slower ARM7 processor. The 68000 is emulated on the faster ARM9 processor.

Unfortunately, games developed using Nintendo's official SDK only have access to the ARM9 processor. Nintendo's SDK includes it's own library that runs on the ARM7, and is it responsible for most of the logic that games use to interact with the hardware such as monitoring input on the controller or touchscreen and providing access to Wifi. Nintendo does not allow developer's own code to run on the ARM7, no matter what. Homebrew doesn't have this same restriction and can use both processors because Nintendo's SDK library isn't there.

In other words, Stephen/Lordus lost an entire CPU by porting his emulator over to Nintendo's SDK. He has to do everything he did on the second CPU all on the first one and the CPU isn't fast enough for all of that. So instead of emulating the sound, it's much less work for him to play back pre-recorded audio and fake the presence of the missing hardware (if its necessary for any of the games to run). Still, that's taking time away from something he was already using most of the ARM9 to do. It's fairly remarkable that it even runs full speed some of the time.

And because the clock-speed and memory on the DSi are so much superior to the older models, it's too be expected to an extent.

• Thumbs Up 1