Awoo.

Sonic Classic Collection

Indigo Rush

Wow, Classic Collection's actually doing pretty well, considered. It's #6 in the DS charts at the moment, and is the current top-selling DS game on Play.com.

All-Stars Racing meanwhile is still #2 on both Wii and DS. :)

Just decided to watch the SCC credits and noticed that 3D Blast Emeralds (green, yellow and purple), a spinball emerald and Sonic jump sprite from spinball all show up. They didn't even get the right games? Crikey.

Edited by Blue Blood

I'm getting tired of people saying it's a port.

IT'S NOT A PORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're emulated rom hacks. It uses a heavily modified version of jEnesis, a Sega Genesis emulator for DS flashcarts. jEnesis uses both the GBA processor and the DS one, but since actual retail DS carts can only use the DS processor, that's why there's some lag here and there.

And by "emulated rom hacks" I mean that they re-positioned the HUD and edited the title screen menus, and disable the start button during normal gameplay.

They also seem to have camera adjustments when you spin-dash, though that may be the emulator.

Since they "upgraded" the mid-boss theme for Sonic 3 (and Sonic and Knuckles), did they upgrade Launch Base Zone's music?

Guest Jordan-4K6

I still don't know if I should get this... considering I own all the console Sonic collection games and the PSP megadrive collection.

Edited by Jordan-4K6

I still don't know if I should get this... considering I own all the console Sonic collection games and the PSP megadrive collection.

I agree with Blue Blood, it's a nifty little collection but if you've got the games a zillion times over already then it's probably not worth it unless you can get it cheap, seeing as it literally is just the four classic games and a few illustrations.

Or just wait for Sonic Ultra Mega Classic Retro Gems Collection... Plus. You know it's totally gonna happen :P

I was actually tempted by this, as I don't have portable versions of the Sonic games, but it seems people are saying to avoid it, so...I'm not sure. Might give it a miss until the price drops/I win it somewhere.

I was actually tempted by this, as I don't have portable versions of the Sonic games, but it seems people are saying to avoid it, so...I'm not sure. Might give it a miss until the price drops/I win it somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, it's worth a buy - there's something quite special about having all the classic Sonic games on the go, they have a real pick up and play factor.

However, it's just the fact that it's quite a lazy collection aside from this that may turn people off. But if you want classic Sonic on a handheld, you can't go far wrong here.

Or just wait for Sonic Ultra Mega Classic Retro Gems Collection... Plus. You know it's totally gonna happen :P

Or maybe proper remakes already? At the very least extra added content not available in the originals, e.g every character team combo instead of just Sonic and Tails.

Sonic and Knuckles teaming up for S3&K! That would be quite interesting, actually.

Sonic and Knuckles teaming up for S3&K! That would be quite interesting, actually.

And that's exactly what the lazy menu/boxart will have you believe.

SCC is more than decent- it's actually very good. But it is simply a select few games on an emulator, the same games that we've been playing for a long time on many systems. Yet I certainly don't regret paying £40 for it.

Edited by Blue Blood

I got this on my DS Lite and I really have enjoyed it. The only problems I've noticed is a bit of frame-rate hiccup here and there and Sonic & Knuckles uses the wrong sub-boss music... Oh and for some odd reason you can't use start to pause so you have to hit a thing on the touch screen, which is strange.

This is interesting, on my forum somebody mentioned that Sonic Classic Collection will actually run better with less framerate issues etc. if played on a DSi, since it uses an emulator and the DSi has more memory or something... I don't know if he's right but he must have read it somewhere.

This is interesting, on my forum somebody mentioned that Sonic Classic Collection will actually run better with less framerate issues etc. if played on a DSi, since it uses an emulator and the DSi has more memory or something... I don't know if he's right but he must have read it somewhere.

Yeah, it's been discussed before. The first sign of DSi code is region locking (check the back of your box, mine says "This game will only work in European/Australian DSi units), and then by hacking people have found that the roms have DSi headers. The DSi has 4 times the ram and twice the clock speed of older models, so that's all used to make the games run better. I've compared it myself, and the difference is quite large. The game has minor slowdown/chugs almost all the time on the Lite (not enough to hamper the gameplay on most levels though) but it's really uncommon on the 'i.

I won this game in a Sega of Europe contest, but I live in America. Will an American DS (not DSi) play the game?

Nope. An American DS Lite or Original will though, as region locking only applies to 'i models.

Edited by Blue Blood

Actually provided the game was designed to run on all models of DS it will also run internationally on the DSi and DSi XL.

DSi region-locking applies only to DSiWare and games developed specifically for the DSi.

Actually provided the game was designed to run on all models of DS it will also run internationally on the DSi and DSi XL.

DSi region-locking applies only to DSiWare and games developed specifically for the DSi.

No, some games (like SCC) are also built to use the superior hardware of the DSi IF it is available. They will run in any DS Lite or Original, but only in a DSi of the same region. Like I said earlier, my Australian copy says "This game will only run on European/Australian DSi units".

Guys, has anybody of you had a problem in Ice Cap act 1 when you play as Tails? At the beginning of the act Tails doesn't bump into a wall and when he's on the ground some kind of snow slide falls and that's all, Tails is stuck. I pressed any buttons but IT'S NO USE(^^)! I tried to start a new game, but then it happened again!(((

P.S. Hooray^^! The bug is gone! (i'm using a ROM, so i recopied it on the flashcard).

Edited by ArtFenix

Guys, has anybody of you had a problem in Ice Cap act 1 when you play as Tails? At the beginning of the act Tails doesn't bump into a wall and when he's on the ground some kind of snow slide falls and that's all, Tails is stuck. I pressed any buttons but IT'S NO USE(^^)! I tried to start a new game, but then it happened again!(((

P.S. Hooray^^! The bug is gone! (i'm using a ROM, so i recopied it on the flashcard).

Bad ROM?

Some guy was emulating the game and came into tons of glitches. And he also had a special stage issue where he got stuck.

Or maybe proper remakes already? At the very least extra added content not available in the originals, e.g every character team combo instead of just Sonic and Tails.

Anything other than Sonic and Tails (or Knuckles and Tails) requires either a substantial rewrite of the game's code or a MASSIVE editing of the art. Quite simply the palettes only support this in a few areas of Sonic 3, and even then you get things like there being red tinted rings, or Knuckles having yellow socks.

Granted, with modern systems it's actually quite easy, but it basically requires a modded port and not an emulator.

I won this game in a Sega of Europe contest, but I live in America. Will an American DS (not DSi) play the game?

Phat Ds's and DS Lites are NOT region locked so you should be good. DSi's can't play it since they are indeed region locked. When Jump All-stars came out people were importing it and playing it on their Phat Ds's and DS lites... even I did it XD

No, some games (like SCC) are also built to use the superior hardware of the DSi IF it is available. They will run in any DS Lite or Original, but only in a DSi of the same region. Like I said earlier, my Australian copy says "This game will only run on European/Australian DSi units".

The problem with this is that it says DSi's, not DS Phats/Lites.

Yeah, I mis-read Doc's post. Whoops. DSi and DSiXL not fine. Anything else, fine.